Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958559 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7575 on: February 03, 2014, 12:47:35 pm »

@ Sean, Portent  is the first mission in the new DLC chain, the one about the french convey. AFAIK Exalt is independent of that chain, I could be wrong though.
Nope, Portent then is the mission where you recover the wounded EXALT trooper whose poison capsule failed. It's the mission that leads in to the introduction of EXALT. The new DLC mission chain centers around the lady in the truck at the end of the dam mission.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7576 on: February 03, 2014, 12:51:23 pm »

Deluge is the dam mission. I would have really liked to see the dam collapse in some cinematic though.
The ticker entry says that the dam collapse was ultimately averted if you succeed, I'm not sure what failure looks like.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7577 on: February 03, 2014, 02:01:16 pm »

@ Sean, Portent  is the first mission in the new DLC chain, the one about the french convey. AFAIK Exalt is independent of that chain, I could be wrong though.
Nope, Portent then is the mission where you recover the wounded EXALT trooper whose poison capsule failed. It's the mission that leads in to the introduction of EXALT. The new DLC mission chain centers around the lady in the truck at the end of the dam mission.
Which is apparently the same cargo that the convoy in Portent was carrying before it was hijacked.  Annette was under the protection of the French army, though "why" is a question of some debate, since Portent typically triggers before psionics can be detected. 

Deluge is the dam mission. I would have really liked to see the dam collapse in some cinematic though.
The ticker entry says that the dam collapse was ultimately averted if you succeed, I'm not sure what failure looks like.
Nothing special, unfortunately.  Then again, they apparently had a pretty low budget for new cinematics (didn't even have the budget to update the starting animation, beyond a new quote), so I suspect they simply saved it for the successful finishes and the Base Defense mission. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:04:08 pm by Culise »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: February 03, 2014, 02:05:39 pm »

Which is apparently the same cargo that the convoy in Portent was carrying before it was hijacked.  Annette was under the protection of the French army, though "why" is a question of some debate, since Portent typically triggers before psionics can be detected.
Detected? The girl knocks your whole squad down on their asses when she appears. Hard not to notice that. :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: February 03, 2014, 02:07:24 pm »

Generally, if both alien invaders and singularity seeking traitors are desperately trying to get their hands on a single, specific human being, you'd probably want to prevent that even if you don't know what element is causing them to go after her.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7580 on: February 03, 2014, 02:08:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure Portent is part of the DLC, I've never had Portent without it turned on, when I used to have it every game as the first council mission when it was turned on.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: February 03, 2014, 02:27:20 pm »

Generally, if both alien invaders and singularity seeking traitors are desperately trying to get their hands on a single, specific human being, you'd probably want to prevent that even if you don't know what element is causing them to go after her.
Reasonable...although it doesn't hurt to check why so you can consider letting them waste their resources on each other.

Speaking of which, wouldn't it be neat if some missions had aliens and EXALT fighting each other?
Or if, in the sequel, some aliens fled to Earth or something and had a melee a trois with XCOM and the Threat?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: February 03, 2014, 02:41:35 pm »

I think the problem with a melee a trois scenario is that it would be difficult to make it... difficult in this game. Most players would put their squad in deep deep cover/hiding, wait for one side to win, then clean up.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7583 on: February 03, 2014, 02:45:14 pm »

I really liked that it turned out she wasn't even all that special and I had two soldiers who were much better psychics.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: February 03, 2014, 02:48:00 pm »

She was originally going to be part of another "mission pack" style DLC, like Slingshot (and that Chinese guy), but then they had a much better idea and incorporated the work they did on that into Enemy Within. I think it turned out rather well, and works pretty well in the story if you get it before the alien base assault.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: February 03, 2014, 03:00:34 pm »

I don't think it can happen before base assault. It involves the cause/catalyst of the base defense mission, which happens as retaliation for the base assault.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7586 on: February 03, 2014, 03:05:44 pm »

I managed to capture the sectoid commander in the base assault and got psi tech that way so when this lady came along I didn't.. really care. In fact I don't think I used her again after the mission sequence.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: February 03, 2014, 03:38:15 pm »

I kind of want to try the dam mission with all SHIVs to see what the ending cinematic looks like. It involves the soldiers you take on the mission, a la Skyranger unloading cutscenes or the final mission ending, and the shivs never show up for those scenes.

Already there was a moment where my colonel support shot conventional bullets out of his plasma rifle to stop her from running. That was funny.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: February 03, 2014, 03:51:00 pm »

I kind of want to try the dam mission with all SHIVs to see what the ending cinematic looks like. It involves the soldiers you take on the mission, a la Skyranger unloading cutscenes or the final mission ending, and the shivs never show up for those scenes.
Don't you need a psychic for that?

And how do you get the DLC stuff?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: February 03, 2014, 03:52:24 pm »

You don't even need Psi unlocked to do Progeny.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 625