Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958443 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7500 on: February 02, 2014, 02:22:35 am »

Sometimes the randomized skill tree gives you some very difficult choices. Like, do I give my close combat Assault Lightning reflexes or Rapid Shot? One lets you get close to kill things without dying to overwatch, the other lets you shoot things really well.

Tough, tough, call. Especially since I don't have enough LR on the team as it is. But ultimately I decided the two shots were more important. Mostly it sucks that she can't get both now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: February 02, 2014, 02:38:53 am »

Yeah, I'd have gone with rapid shot too.

Super important. Especially in impossible. Gotta kill things.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: February 02, 2014, 03:27:07 am »

The choice I had for my Sergeant Sniper was either Suppression, {which might have been awesome with the Plama Sniping Rifle}, or Rapid Reaction, {a second reaction shot if on Overwatch and the first hits}.  I don't know if I'd play with training roulette next time, but it certainly has been fun.

Spoiler: What a choice (click to show/hide)

btw: I chose Rapid Reaction.

So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: February 02, 2014, 09:20:42 am »

See? You're learning. When you get frustrated, switch to CI. It's like training while wearing weights, when you get to the actual thing you were practicing for it will be worlds easier.
CI?
Classic Ironman. It should really be IC, though, since II is usually Ironman Impossible instead of vice versa. On another note, I'd also recommend only playing Ironman. It's better to just not have the temptation to savescum.
I haven't ever (intentionally) savescummed ever. And I suspect that Ironman's autosaves-without-absurd-numbers-of-backups would be very useful indeed...
And I'm mostly trying Impossible to see how well I do. And I've been giving it some thought, and realized that the sectoids on Mission One are superior in basically every way...
Spoiler: Explanations (click to show/hide)

Annoyed by that $20 I spent on a game that apparently overloads my video driver thingy, I decide to try something...interesting.
Who wants to take bets on how long I last on Impossible difficulty? (Also, all of the base Second Wave adjustments were enabled.)
There is a fix to the video card problem. It's actually an issue with Steam. There is a third party program which disables something called 'Steam CEG' or something like that, which will make the game run properly though it has to be run prior to starting the game every time you restart your computer.
Anyone want to back this guy up? I'm a bit wary about downloading stuff from the advice of one guy I don't even recognize.
A bit of an explanation of how it helps or the problem Steam causes wouldn't hurt.

I got the worst mission name ever today.
Indeed.

The choice I had for my Sergeant Sniper was either Suppression, {which might have been awesome with the Plama Sniping Rifle}, or Rapid Reaction, {a second reaction shot if on Overwatch and the first hits}.  I don't know if I'd play with training roulette next time, but it certainly has been fun.
I bet the choice for Corporal was tough...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: February 02, 2014, 11:07:22 am »

I got the worst mission name ever today. It turned out alright, though.

Your giant robot's paint job is pretty fabulous.
It was my Valkyrie mission, so I figured I'd go all out on the color schemes. I can't actually find a color I really like for my MECs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7506 on: February 02, 2014, 12:34:03 pm »

I got the worst mission name ever today. It turned out alright, though.

Your giant robot's paint job is pretty fabulous.
It was my Valkyrie mission, so I figured I'd go all out on the color schemes. I can't actually find a color I really like for my MECs.
I tend to color my MECs stupidly bright colors with matching hair. Doesn't look too bad.

Also, GWG, didn't you say you have all of the Second Wave options on? You might want to turn some of those off, especially Red Fog.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: February 02, 2014, 12:55:47 pm »

Red Fog is truly evil. It would be better if it applied to both X-Com and the Aliens, making it a Heaven and Hell-type difficulty, but as it stands it just makes the game nigh-impossible.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: February 02, 2014, 01:29:59 pm »

Also, GWG, didn't you say you have all of the Second Wave options on? You might want to turn some of those off, especially Red Fog.
I assume that that's from EW? Which I don't have?
EDIT: I have never beaten the game. Ever. Not available.

Also:
Anyone want to back this guy up? I'm a bit wary about downloading stuff from the advice of one guy I don't even recognize.
A bit of an explanation of how it helps or the problem Steam causes wouldn't hurt.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: February 02, 2014, 01:44:16 pm »

I'd first try to fiddle around with config files before you go and download any programs.

Firstly, what is your graphics card?

Second, if you navigate to your user documents folder, there in the folder My Games/XCOM - Enemy Unknown/XComGame/Config, there is a file XComEngine.ini . Towards the bottom of that file is a swath of general engine settings, under the header "[SystemSettings]" (search for it). Copy that settings block and paste it here, I'll try to see what you can change for the better.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: February 02, 2014, 02:06:58 pm »

I'd first try to fiddle around with config files before you go and download any programs.

Firstly, what is your graphics card?
Um...is that like the video card you instructed me to figure out? That would be an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000.

Second, if you navigate to your user documents folder, there in the folder My Games/XCOM - Enemy Unknown/XComGame/Config, there is a file XComEngine.ini . Towards the bottom of that file is a swath of general engine settings, under the header "[SystemSettings]" (search for it). Copy that settings block and paste it here, I'll try to see what you can change for the better.
Spoiler: SystemSettings (click to show/hide)
Sig

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: February 02, 2014, 02:28:30 pm »

By the way, I've been been meaning to ask, why does the building directly in front of where you start in Newfoundland have an anarcho-syndicalist flag on it?
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: February 02, 2014, 02:33:54 pm »

Snap shot is more useful in EW since they reduced the penalty down. Now you can offset it by adding a scope, and I've got a SS sniper who's actually very useful on maps without a whole lot of long sightlines.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: February 02, 2014, 02:34:33 pm »

Hm. It doesn't seem any different from what I have on my tablet - but I hadn't played the Base Assault mission on my tablet yet either, so I might run into the issue as well.

I've no idea if it'll be any help whatsoever, but see if setting AllowD3D11 and AllowOpenGL to true will change anything. OGL sometimes tends to run better.

Also, try lowering the resolution, just for that mission. Like, literally push the resolution as low as it'll go, and play through the mission, then if it works out, put it back where it was. Cutting down on the amount of stuff the GPU has to draw might bypass the issue.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: February 02, 2014, 02:46:03 pm »

Snap shot is more useful in EW since they reduced the penalty down. Now you can offset it by adding a scope, and I've got a SS sniper who's actually very useful on maps without a whole lot of long sightlines.
He's using the Training Roulette. If I'm not mistaken, that's Run and Gun. It might be useful if one of the future advancements is Snapshot, but you can't determine that ahead of time now can you?

Hm. It doesn't seem any different from what I have on my tablet - but I hadn't played the Base Assault mission on my tablet yet either, so I might run into the issue as well.
I've no idea if it'll be any help whatsoever, but see if setting AllowD3D11 and AllowOpenGL to true will change anything. OGL sometimes tends to run better.
Also, try lowering the resolution, just for that mission. Like, literally push the resolution as low as it'll go, and play through the mission, then if it works out, put it back where it was. Cutting down on the amount of stuff the GPU has to draw might bypass the issue.
Resolution seems to be as low as it will go, by default.
I'll try allowing the other things. What do those options do, anyways?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 625