Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958329 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7455 on: January 31, 2014, 02:53:15 pm »

I'd play that. In keeping with the recent naming scheme, they could call it "XCOM: Enemy from the Deep".
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7456 on: January 31, 2014, 02:53:46 pm »

I'd play that. In keeping with the recent naming scheme, they could call it "XCOM: Enemy from the Deep".
XCOM: KNEE DEEP IN ENEMIES

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: January 31, 2014, 05:22:35 pm »

XCOM: KNEE DEEP IN ENEMIES
Followed by the expansion episodes "THE SHORES OF EVENT HORIZON", "THIN-MANFERNO", and the fan-made-later-made-official "THY MELD CONSUMED".
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: January 31, 2014, 08:52:15 pm »

-snip-
So.. they engineered a Tyranid-like threat?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: January 31, 2014, 09:52:35 pm »

Be prepared to feel inadequate......

Perfect II run

PC Gamer site for those who want to know before clicking the link.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: January 31, 2014, 09:55:25 pm »

Hah, you guys go ahead and feel inadequate. I've done better.

I'm superior mwahahahha.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: January 31, 2014, 09:57:53 pm »

It's impressive, but something that certainly can happen. I myself got about 75% of the way to having a perfect IC run before it all came crashing down. After the Thin Mint Bottleneck you just need to be very cautious.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7462 on: January 31, 2014, 11:51:57 pm »

The first mission is the most crucial and difficult mission in II.

It's ridiculous how much of a butterfly effect things have in II. Simply having a soldier hurt or not rank up on the first mission can cost you the entire playthrough.

Well, I supposed I should mention Portent. Fuck that mission.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: February 01, 2014, 01:01:33 am »

If you lose one soldier on the first mission, you might as well suicide the squad and restart. Kinda hard not to have the whole team not rank up though, given how many sectoids you have to kill.

II in Enemy Within is significantly harder than in Enemy Unknown. Sectoids are brutal. And they appear very early. On Impossible difficulty, they have absurd HP and come in large groups.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: February 01, 2014, 01:02:20 am »

The first mission is the most crucial and difficult mission in II.

It's ridiculous how much of a butterfly effect things have in II. Simply having a soldier hurt or not rank up on the first mission can cost you the entire playthrough.

Well, I supposed I should mention Portent. Fuck that mission.

Playing I/I basically requires memorizing Portent's layout :/
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: February 01, 2014, 01:20:32 am »

Day Five of the Normal run has finished. Took a ton of screenshots to make up for yesterday.

-SHIV-COM has been executed and was boring. I want my abilities. Still, it proved effective and allowed me to create horrible abominations out of all my soldiers in the meantime.
-My MEC does not approve of Sectopods.
-I finally finished off the last of my research and obtained Blaster Launchers. Just as I was about to have the A-Team swoop in, stun Vahlen and her entire team, and ship them off to the Hague to stand trial for violating every standard of decency known to mankind, I noticed that I did not have the Edison achievement. Apparently, it is broken on Enemy Within. Good job, Firaxis.
-Finally got a proper Battleship mission, named...oh, that's not good. While I did not face any horribly difficult opposition from the aliens, I did have a bit of a problem. Don't use Archangel suits on the Battleship, the game does not approve. After getting totally stuck and having to reload, I also had...this...happen. Those Chryssalids are dead in this shot. Finally, this mission proved a perfect opportunity to mindjack and Ethereal: Annette "I'm Too French And Crazy To Have A Callsign" Durand is clearly the woman for the job. You'd think the Ethereals would be better at this. Suddenly, an insolent Sectoid whelp takes the initiative to attack my new "friend". I decide to make an example of the worthless xeno scum. "Overkill" is not a thing X-Com understands. I then discover that the current of a MEC electropulse is a bit higher than that of your standard Arc Thrower. RIP Friend Ethereal.

To-do list for tomorrow:
-Murder EXALT
-Reprimand Chinese Council rep
-Shoot down the Overseer

-Mindjack an Ethereal
-Top off tech tree and foundry tree
-Convince Vahlen to stop replaying the recordings of her interrogations over the base speakers
-Prepare for the return of Sectopods
-SHIV-COM
-Gene-hack everybody during SHIV-COM

-Inform the Alliums they came to the wrong fucking planet
-Complain about Edison being glitched in EW on Bay 12.
-Get oddball achievements.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: February 01, 2014, 01:53:00 am »

I also had...this...happen. Those Chryssalids are dead in this shot.

Ghost cryssalids haunt their killers by silently staring.  It makes them slightly creepier than normal cryssalids.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: February 01, 2014, 10:58:07 am »

-snip-
Neat. A few things, though.
1. Wasn't it implied that, with some time to study it, Elerium and the alien alloys (and presumably meld) could be reproduced?
2. Why wouldn't plasma weaponry be useable in inland terror missions?
3. One thing I like about my opening is that it helps cement why the aliens were willing to do these reckless tactics. Those squaddies in titan armor with alloy rifles and such? The ones that took down the nastiest aliens of the original game no sweat? They're cannon fodder to the big guys the Threat can churn out.
(Besides, don't you think that blasting through those goshdarned cryssallids and such in the first mission wouldn't be a little cathartic?

Again, if it's a sequel and not an expansion pack, I'm hoping they come up with a new naming scheme. Separates the two games. Maybe something like "Terror from the Deeps," which would allow an expansion pack with a "Terror from X" themed name.

-snip-
No, they were doing the war with humans in hopes of making them able to help fight the 'Nids.
I think.

Ghost cryssalids haunt their killers by silently staring.  It makes them slightly creepier than normal cryssalids.
At least they don't eviscerate soldiers and turn them into more cryssallids.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: February 01, 2014, 10:58:37 am »

-snip-
Neat. A few things, though.
1. Wasn't it implied that, with some time to study it, Elerium and the alien alloys (and presumably meld) could be reproduced?
2. Why wouldn't plasma weaponry be useable in inland terror missions?
3. One thing I like about my opening is that it helps cement why the aliens were willing to do these reckless tactics. Those squaddies in titan armor with alloy rifles and such? The ones that took down the nastiest aliens of the original game no sweat? They're cannon fodder to the big guys the Threat can churn out.
(Besides, don't you think that blasting through those goshdarned cryssallids and such in the first mission wouldn't be a little cathartic?

Again, if it's a sequel and not an expansion pack, I'm hoping they come up with a new naming scheme. Separates the two games. Maybe something like "Terror from the Deeps," which would allow an expansion pack with a "Terror from X" themed name.

-snip-
No, they were doing the war with humans in hopes of making them able to help fight the 'Nids.
I think.

At least they don't eviscerate soldiers and turn them into more cryssallids.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: February 01, 2014, 12:59:34 pm »

Nice doublepost there, GWG. Missed the Modify button?

I'm going by the original X-Com implication that unlike alien alloys, Elerium is impossible to replicate.
Plasma would not be used because by the time the terror missions happen, you would not have it. Even farther into the future, it is not going to cost any less to make, so it's not going to be an ubiquitous weapon, and since you would have been fighting on the seafloor, portable railguns scaled down from the MEC weapons using the Plasma-related technologies make more sense as the "standard" infantry weapon. And, again, Elerium can't be reproduced, so Plasma on the overall is rare.
Your opening is untouched by this premise, btw. The meteor swarm happens as a cutscene after the initial mission, maybe literally cutting to the scene of the meteor striking the ocean immediately after the result of the Ethereal's interrogation/confession/warning is made known to the player.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 625