Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958260 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7425 on: January 30, 2014, 07:55:35 pm »

I kind of wanna live in the XCOM universe now.

Even with the aliens and the death and the psionic mind-melting and such... New Alpha Centauri, guize!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: January 30, 2014, 08:08:18 pm »

Today's report won't be for a few more hours, but I figured I'd post this. It's an early combat concept trailer by Firaxis that shows some interesting things, like X-Com soldiers communicating and idle fighting during turns.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: January 30, 2014, 08:27:14 pm »

Today's report won't be for a few more hours, but I figured I'd post this. It's an early combat concept trailer by Firaxis that shows some interesting things, like X-Com soldiers communicating and idle fighting during turns.

I know that they'd have to tone it down if the actual game turned out like this. Still...it's so good...if only. ;-;
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: January 30, 2014, 09:02:34 pm »

I know that they'd have to tone it down if the actual game turned out like this. Still...it's so good...if only. ;-;
It would've been nice to have that as an option that could be turned on.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: January 30, 2014, 09:22:43 pm »

I got a bad feeling about this mission.......
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: January 30, 2014, 09:24:11 pm »

I got a bad feeling about this mission.......
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Huh. I once got Demon Priest and Flying Priest, as two consecutive missions.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: January 30, 2014, 09:27:25 pm »

I got Fainting Priest once, which was a hilarious mental image.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: January 30, 2014, 09:33:17 pm »

Foreboding was justified - as soon as I hit 'Lunch Mission', suddenly BSOD.

The previous mission to that was "Secret Skull", where I sent in my Valkyrie squad to train up two new sidekicks.  Apt.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: January 30, 2014, 09:48:14 pm »

There's been something along those lines in the game since Enemy Unknown, actually.  One of Bradford's random quotes has him berating a control room tech for playing Civilization on a military terminal, and then he mentions said tech had better be going for a military victory.
Bah, military victory. So boring, so simple.

Holy crap! That's awesome! I mean, varied action cams, combat that feels like a movie, melee combat (including a soldier killing a muton in a knife-fight)...why the hell did they change it?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: January 30, 2014, 09:55:00 pm »

Wow, that's pretty cool.

Hard to see why it can't be done too, seems feasible. I'd imagine the only thing stopping them the first time around was time and the fact that they were already trying so many new things. But for a sequel, it would be fantastic!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: January 30, 2014, 10:00:01 pm »

Foreboding was justified - as soon as I hit 'Lunch Mission', suddenly BSOD.
The computer decided to take a lunch break.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: January 30, 2014, 10:01:15 pm »

Holy crap! That's awesome! I mean, varied action cams, combat that feels like a movie, melee combat (including a soldier killing a muton in a knife-fight)...why the hell did they change it?
Well, it's just a concept trailer, and a lot of those elements did get in in some format. You can notice how young it is by the menu that comes up, it has a lot of Old-Com style options because Firaxis hadn't found their grounding yet (to make you even more jealous, Firaxis actually made a tactical boardgame for Enemy Unknown because they had no idea how to make combat happen, but alas, this remained an in-studio tool). Action Cams did make it in, albeit not as varied. The idle combat remains in the form of Suppression and Overwatch. And as for melee combat, it took until Enemy Within, but now we have Kinetic Strike Modules (complete with unique kill animations for large enemies!).

By the way, I read a great name for a sequel today: Enemy Beyond. Though I would hope any sequel to Enemy Unknown/Within would continue to expand upon the existing theme of "oh fuck, X-COM has crossed the Rubicon" in regards to humanity. Centuries if not millennia of technological advancement within the space of just a few years is not something that happens without problems. As Shen puts it, nothing will ever be the same after the invasion; the old world is gone forever even should humanity defeat the aliens.

Edit: I'm probably not going to get to play anymore today, so I'll deliver my report for day four of the Normal run. Not much got done, and I'm without screenshots.

-EXALT is gone. While I liked the final mission, I'm a little let down by EXALT as a whole. More could have been done with them. For one, the game barely expounds upon them. While I'm a dedicated enough fan to know that EXALT are looking to cause a Singularity with alien tech, and are basically only different from the aliens that they want this to happen on their terms instead of the aliens', this isn't explained well. EXALT should have been given a cutscene or two, perhaps some propaganda broadcasts. Another aspect is how EXALT is "going too far" with gene augs. This is a good idea, except the Elite EXALT augs aren't very different from what X-COM fields, so it comes off as silly. EXALT should have had a third tier, employing plasma weaponry and truly posthuman augmentation (genetics, mechanics, psionics, the whole shebang). The kind of thing you would look at and go "oh god what the fuck". The kind of thing you'd have to autopsy. And that would be when Vahlen should have given her opinion that X-COM should never go that far.

-I've finally hit the wall on what MECs are capable of, my MEC being downed by a trio of Elite Mutons who all crit. She ultimately survived thanks to some speedy xenocide on my part, but now near the end MECs are clearly no longer solo beasts. SHIV-COM is almost ready to roll out.

-I'm having some worries that I might have to shake up my A-Team to use Psi, as two have been tested and come up negative, and one is a MEC. Hopefully testing will go better during SHIV-COM.

To-do list for tomorrow:
-Murder EXALT
-Reprimand Chinese Council rep
-Shoot down the Overseer

-Mindjack an Ethereal
-Top off tech tree and foundry tree
-Convince Vahlen to stop replaying the recordings of her interrogations over the base speakers
-Prepare for the return of Sectopods
-SHIV-COM
-Gene-hack everybody during SHIV-COM
-Inform the Alliums they came to the wrong fucking planet
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:16:45 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: January 30, 2014, 10:10:42 pm »

Re: "Enemy Beyond" I have lately developed the conviction that the endgame of XCOM landing on the alien mothership could be greatly expanded seeing as how that mothership is the size of a mid-sized nation. As in, it turns into a bit of a larger-scale strategy game with XCOM taking territory on the ship and defending against alien incursions by posting different squads at chokepoints and eventually finally working towards the reactor that blows up the ship, instead of just being invited there by a particularly unclever Ethereal.

I was also imagining a cutscene where Bradford reveals a whole fleet of Skyrangers ready to start the counter-invasion.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: January 30, 2014, 10:13:54 pm »

I still think that there's SOMETHING going on behind the scenes. What happened to the Outsiders? What if they weren't really supposed to be there to begin with, considering their lack of appearance at the end. Like... The Crystals were supposed to be there, but... the Outsiders themselves might not have been entirely there on behalf of the Ethereals.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: January 30, 2014, 10:18:34 pm »

I still think that there's SOMETHING going on behind the scenes. What happened to the Outsiders? What if they weren't really supposed to be there to begin with, considering their lack of appearance at the end. Like... The Crystals were supposed to be there, but... the Outsiders themselves might not have been entirely there on behalf of the Ethereals.
The Outsiders are just psionic projections of the Hyperwave Beacon. They stop showing up because X-COM steals it, but lacks the Outsider Shards or psionic experience to use it themselves.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 625