Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958310 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7410 on: January 30, 2014, 03:15:07 am »

I wonder what the stolen data the agent recovered could have been that would give a hint like that.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: January 30, 2014, 03:20:56 am »

Civ V save files from a USB stick titled "WINNING FOR GLORIOUS CHINA"?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7412 on: January 30, 2014, 09:25:38 am »

Tis an amazing 4th wall breaking hint though :P
Who is to say that Civ 5 wasn't released in the XCOM universe? Maybe it's an in-joke the EXALT guys use.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: January 30, 2014, 09:44:04 am »

Also, when MC'ing a allium, and it gets killed, their weapons don't assplode.  Elite mutons always work for me, on the other hand, I now have far too many heavy plasma and not enough weapon fragments.
Isn't mind control only for a few turns, and doesn't end the mission? Aid's MC was like that.

Who is to say that Civ 5 wasn't released in the XCOM universe? Maybe it's an in-joke the EXALT guys use.
Makes sense. After all, the timelines only diverge in 2015 (assuming that the Scottish independence thingy goes through...)...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7414 on: January 30, 2014, 09:47:49 am »

Also, when MC'ing a allium, and it gets killed, their weapons don't assplode.  Elite mutons always work for me, on the other hand, I now have far too many heavy plasma and not enough weapon fragments.
Isn't mind control only for a few turns, and doesn't end the mission? Aid's MC was like that.
It only lasts for a few turns but its not difficult to get something killed in just a few turns. Walk in front of overwatching aliums, walk over a mine, walk out of cover and stand there derping. Throw a grenade at your own feet.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: January 30, 2014, 11:41:10 am »

It only lasts for a few turns but its not difficult to get something killed in just a few turns. Walk in front of overwatching aliums, walk over a mine, walk out of cover and stand there derping. Throw a grenade at your own feet.
Speaking of mind control and overwatch...why don't aliens acting after breaking mind control trigger Overwatch?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: January 30, 2014, 12:34:21 pm »

maybe :3
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7417 on: January 30, 2014, 12:35:51 pm »

Now I want them to put in an easter egg where you can see some guy in the control room playing Civ 5 or something.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: January 30, 2014, 12:40:35 pm »

Now I want them to put in an easter egg where you can see some guy in the control room playing Civ 5 or something.
There's been something along those lines in the game since Enemy Unknown, actually.  One of Bradford's random quotes has him berating a control room tech for playing Civilization on a military terminal, and then he mentions said tech had better be going for a military victory.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7419 on: January 30, 2014, 12:48:17 pm »

Ah... well then. Excellent. Carry on.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: January 30, 2014, 03:29:55 pm »

-My belief that Vahlen is a sadistic freak mad scientist who only got hired because she was the only person in her field and gets off on torturing aliens has only been further validated by the new content. There is something deeply wrong with that woman.

I've always thought of Vahlen as based on Bioshock's Tenenbaum.  Which is weird because Tenenbaum explicitly did science for the Germans in WW2, which presumably took place at least 70 years before the events of new-com.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: January 30, 2014, 06:29:11 pm »

There's been something along those lines in the game since Enemy Unknown, actually.  One of Bradford's random quotes has him berating a control room tech for playing Civilization on a military terminal, and then he mentions said tech had better be going for a military victory.
Suddenly X-Com's cameoing in the Brave New World expansion makes sense!
It's FEF, not FEOF

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: January 30, 2014, 06:45:10 pm »

Makes you wonder what was released instead of X-COM in that universe though.
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Spoiler: Inspirational words (click to show/hide)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: January 30, 2014, 07:11:05 pm »

A reboot of Sid Meier's Pirates, of course.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: January 30, 2014, 07:15:04 pm »

A reboot of Sid Meier's Pirates, of course.
Or another version of Alpha Centauri. Which makes the Alien Invasion that follows all the more ironic.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 625