Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958073 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7275 on: January 19, 2014, 08:06:50 pm »

I'm trying to record a video of me playing XCOM so TCM could see what I was actually doing, but Fraps keeps cutting out. At first I thought it was just whenever I hit Escape, but now I'm pretty sure it isn't. Anyone more experienced with Fraps want to explain?

And the "Split Movie every 4 Gigabytes" option is off, so don't ask. I don't think it would be exceeding that limit anyways.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: January 19, 2014, 08:22:42 pm »

And the "Split Movie every 4 Gigabytes" option is off, so don't ask. I don't think it would be exceeding that limit anyways.

You'd be surprised. A one hour recording of my first time assaulting the alien base came out to be around 60 gigs. The more you know.~~
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: January 19, 2014, 08:25:41 pm »

1. The option is checked off.
2. That would be one gigs every four minutes. The videos sometimes didn't go one minute before stopping.
EDIT: I checked. The videos are all 29 seconds, and range from 235 to 375 MB.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:27:45 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: January 20, 2014, 09:13:09 pm »

Bump.

I've started a game of XCOM and added Sid Meier on a whim. He's been a good soldier, but he came close to being the second casualty of the Project.

Things are going well. I'm not sure if it's because of Sid or because I'm just better at the game, but it seems to be running smoother.
Could be that I'm unconsciously comparing the opening stages of this to the tail end of my first try.
Sig

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7279 on: January 20, 2014, 09:25:08 pm »

Bump.

I've started a game of XCOM and added Sid Meier on a whim. He's been a good soldier, but he came close to being the second casualty of the Project.

Things are going well. I'm not sure if it's because of Sid or because I'm just better at the game, but it seems to be running smoother.
Could be that I'm unconsciously comparing the opening stages of this to the tail end of my first try.
For a second I thought you were talking about a forum game that combined XCOM with Sid Meier games. I was like 'wat'.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: January 20, 2014, 09:52:02 pm »

Hey GWG, when do you decide to Dash?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: January 20, 2014, 11:40:41 pm »

Started playing Enemy Within now that I have a computer that can handle it, Classic Ironman with randomizing options sans Skill Roulette (as is custom). It's been going well (my first Steam X-Com Achievement is the one for finishing a mission without losing any soldiers, which should make decent bragging rights) save for a debacle on the first UFO crash that got half the team annihilated by the Outsider. Unexpected sight angles and rookie panic spirals strike again. I'm liking the medals because you can rename them, which lets me actually designate soldiers as Blessed By The RNG when the time is right.

But a feature I didn't expect came from this being an Alienware computer, which as it turns out has FX for XCOM. The LEDs on it are X-Com Cyan during setup and mission victories, only to turn Alien Red during their turns, which was a little shocking at first. It's yellow otherwise though, which I'm not that much of a fan of. I'd like it more if it was Cyan during my turns and base shenanigans.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and to continue the phenomenon of X-Com having prescient mission names, the mission where I lost half my team and only survived thanks to a decent Run & Gun was called Operation Bloody Hero. The assault in question was even fucking injured. It knows.

And it was going so well. Fuck bomb disposals.

Also, what is with XCOM's oddly prophetic mission names?

I lost a guy, who had %99 chance to hit, on "Operation Shattered Shield."

I just had a 90% stun fail, ruining the mission....in Operation Broken Spark.

I am not a superstitious man, but this has happened too many times. It knows, man. It fucking knows.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:02:13 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: January 21, 2014, 09:26:24 am »

Hey GWG, when do you decide to Dash?
Typically when I'm either running away or when there's nothing else to do after one move.
Sig

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: January 21, 2014, 09:35:28 am »

I'm usually Dashing when relocating troopers, or seeking cover after discovering aliens with a forward scout. I guess the latter part counts as "running away". :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7284 on: January 21, 2014, 07:18:24 pm »

I only dash if I've already got another trooper there who can shoot. Otherwise you get surprise allium reveal shenanigans.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: January 22, 2014, 03:50:16 pm »

I'm usually Dashing when relocating troopers, or seeking cover after discovering aliens with a forward scout. I guess the latter part counts as "running away". :P
I count the first as a subset of "nothing else to do".
Sig

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: January 22, 2014, 04:08:17 pm »

EDIT: Oh yeah, and to continue the phenomenon of X-Com having prescient mission names, the mission where I lost half my team and only survived thanks to a decent Run & Gun was called Operation Bloody Hero. The assault in question was even fucking injured. It knows.
I'm reasonably sure all the mission names are, as a theme, named in such a way that if anything bad were to happen the name would be apt.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: January 22, 2014, 04:16:57 pm »

Some would call it selection bias, but I call it genius.

Operation Shattered Shield. Never forget...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: January 22, 2014, 04:24:00 pm »

I'm reasonably sure all the mission names are, as a theme, named in such a way that if anything bad were to happen the name would be apt.
That's not really the case. Some mission names are quite triumphant, and that one wouldn't have made sense if I had a Code Black. Bloody Hero only fits if I have an injured member save the day, which is exactly what happened.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: January 22, 2014, 04:33:09 pm »

Still, there's a significant selection bias. Not every mission has an apt title, and you only remember those that do.
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 625