Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958177 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7215 on: January 13, 2014, 12:21:22 pm »

My first play through has everyone named after famous people.

Currently Cleopatra has 8 kills on 3 missions with Joan of Arc and Jackson following her.

Oh. I thought that the RNG had smiled upon you or something. Sorry about that. Still, he better be 'Old Hickory'.

Well considering Joan and Jackson died in my first session, I'm sure the RNG smiled...

Time to fire up the cloning machines...

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: January 13, 2014, 12:41:27 pm »

So Enemy Within is on sale on the 360, games on demand, for $20... I'm debating whether or not to grab it and then ebay my copy of Enemy Unkown, or just wait until I can grab a copy cheaper later this year.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: January 13, 2014, 12:44:15 pm »

So Enemy Within is on sale on the 360, games on demand, for $20... I'm debating whether or not to grab it and then ebay my copy of Enemy Unkown, or just wait until I can grab a copy cheaper later this year.
Don't you need Enemy Unknown to play Enemy Within? Or is that only on PC?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: January 13, 2014, 12:48:52 pm »

I thought it was a standalone expansion for all systems? I know it is for the 360.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: January 13, 2014, 12:54:37 pm »

I thought it was a standalone expansion for all systems? I know it is for the 360.
The Steam version, at least, requires Enemy Unknown. Though that may just have been deliberate on their part, as the two games are largely separate.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: January 13, 2014, 12:59:08 pm »

The Steam version, at least, requires Enemy Unknown. Though that may just have been deliberate on their part, as the two games are largely separate.

Ah, well if I do get it, I'll make sure it doesn't check for the Enemy Unknown disc or anything. Still not sure if I should yet though. Are the new features and whatnot all that great? And is any of the new stuff able to be disabled - like EXALT, for instance? If not, I may just keep my copy of Enemy Unknown for more 'vanilla' playthroughs.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:25 pm »

Ah, well if I do get it, I'll make sure it doesn't check for the Enemy Unknown disc or anything. Still not sure if I should yet though. Are the new features and whatnot all that great? And is any of the new stuff able to be disabled - like EXALT, for instance? If not, I may just keep my copy of Enemy Unknown for more 'vanilla' playthroughs.
No, all of the new stuff you get is mandatory. But honestly, the changes are very welcome if you've played the original for any length of time.

As for what is added:

New events (keep your base rookies equipped, and beware the fishing village)
EXALT, and the accompanying missions.
New aliens (Seekers are annoying but weak, mechtoids are annoyingly powerful)
Two new trooper classes (MECs are almost worth the price of the whole game, and genemods are interesting)
Balance changes all around (among other things - changes to Sectopods, to some abilities, new abilities, added medals, etc)
Plus custom voiceovers for troopers of different nationality, and a large increase in the available amount of maps.
And of course new customization options and Second Wave settings.

That's probably not everything added, but it's the highlights.

In my opinion, it's very worth the price.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: January 13, 2014, 02:08:38 pm »

Enemy Within lets you splice your soldiers with Thin Man DNA to give them super jumping powers.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: January 13, 2014, 02:10:49 pm »

You can only access Within features as a full bundle. However, at least for Steam, you can opt to play Unknown still if you want. But if you want any of the juicy new Within features, you have to take them all.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: January 13, 2014, 03:53:23 pm »

Just FYI, Enemy within is a full, standalone game on consoles, and an expansion on PC.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: January 13, 2014, 05:03:09 pm »

Well, figuring that it would be a while before I see a deal as good as $20 for a while for Xbox, I decided to go ahead and get it. Downloading now. I'm really hoping that this will be good.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: January 13, 2014, 05:56:26 pm »

My tech progression for interceptors basically goes from avalanche missiles>phoenix canons on two interceptors per continent while advanced fighter craft is researched>first firestorm is built while emp canon is researched>firestorm+emp for every continent. After that I have no problems with UFOs landing with no need for any interception whatsoever.
Noted.

The main point of my comment was to mention how I barely used Firestorms after getting them. They're good insurance just in case you do need to shoot down a UFO, but they aren't terribly essential from what I've seen. By that point most UFO notifications are landings.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: January 15, 2014, 06:51:31 pm »

This is for GWG from a semi-experienced X-COM player.

Some critiques, in case anyone here is working on the next XCOM game.
-The difficulty curve was...off. Sectoids? Thin Men? Outsiders? Canno fodder. Floaters? Sometimes took a couple shots, but usually not. Mutons? Tough, but doable. Crysallids? Berserkers? Swarms of mutons? Tardisks? All those other big-name aliens? Those were a lot tougher. (Especially the effing crysallids.) Similarly, early UFOs can be shot down easily with unupgraded Interceptors...then with damage...then not at all, eve with little upgrades. The first months lured me into a false sense of security, which lead to me developing habits that lead to the death of my best soldiers when I started encountering tougher aliens.

As mentioned before, you seemed like you were getting a bit behind in terms of tech. One of the big parts of the game is to compete with the aliens in the Arms/Tech Race. That means when Chryssalids, Cyberdiscs and Muton squadrons start appearing, its time to get Lasers and Carapace/Ghost Armor.

-I noticed that, once you hti a certain point, you start needing alloys and elerium a hell of a lot. I suspect that my inability to make or research advanced weapons past a certain point contributed to my decline--my inability to take any more ships (until that last one), get more raw materials, and make new weapons. I can't help but wonder...what were the mutons' armor, or the floaters, or whatever made out of and powered by? Consider having a chance for the more heavily-cyborged or -armored enemies to drop some alien alloys, or maybe even elerium.

You can always accumulate some good alien materials if you don't use explosives to blow up all their spaceship equipment. Then it comes down to making the decision of what you're going to use your limited alloys and elerium for. Weapons? Armor? Spacecraft? Rooms?

-SHIVs were underwhelming. I mean, sure, they were a bit tougher and maybe had a better attack than rookies, but they can't advance, can't use advanced arms and armor, and can't take cover. Not really worth the credits. Plus, the feel was...off. It felt like they should be expendable combatants. To fix this, I would advise making them weaker and make it so they could be rebuilt if destroyed (probably at a cost).

I don't really use SHIVs, so I can't comment on this too much, but a lot of players that do enjoy using them say that Foundry upgrades to the SHIVs are essential.

-Early on in the game, scientists and especially engineers were in high demand and low supply. Once you get 30-40, though, the demand kinda...dropped off. I'm not sure exactly how to fix this, but it was odd. It fits back in with the "Difficulty Curve" thing as poor gameplay pacing, I guess.

Do you want this game to get any harder? :P Once you get enough of them, it helps because then you can focus on getting rewards like more money or more insta-veterans.

-Make the Arc Thrower a secondary weapon. Isn't that basically what it is? Besides, if it wasn't pushing out things like nanofiber vests, SCOPEs, and medikits, I might have it more often. And on more than one soldier.

As mentioned before, Nanofiber vests begin to exponentially decline in value the more time passes. If it really worries you that much, you can pine for the upgrade in the armory which allows all soldiers to carry two different items into battle.

I'd much rather keep it as an item, firstly because unlike standard weapons, it has a limited number of uses, does no damage and has a very small range, marking it more as an auxiliary tool. Also, Assaults, who are most likely to be the ones holding Arc Throwers early on, get a lot of use out of their current secondary weapon, a pistol. If the pistol spot was replaced by the Arc Throwers, any soldier with a shotgun would suddenly lose just any ranged capabilities beyond close combat.

-Make the story less...linear and more developed. For instance, Thin Men were supposed to have been used as infiltrators (presumably once they fixed the "weird eyes" and "explodes into toxic gas with heavy impact" issues), but this never really gets developed. Heck, just having the Director guy turning out to be a thin man would be nice. It's a thread that gets started...then dropped. There were also hints that mutons (and other aliens?) were to some extent conquered peoples working as soldiers, with the tribal markings and whatnot, but again this was mentioned and dropped. And what do the aliens do with their human abductees? Heck, these last two could be combined--some kind of cybernetic human unit would be potentially scary. Not to mention...crysalids and zombies. Geez, just a zombie apocalypse of sorts would be worth expanding on. "Ignore/Fail a Terror Mission and that area has an infestation of the undead which will cause missions and increase panic, possibly spreading." That threat would have gotten me to risk my folks more, rather than just running once the crysallid resistance got too heavy. Two more points related to these...

X-COM has never been much about the story, focusing more on the gameplay dynamics and the narrative mainly serves as a means of progressing the plot. The real story comes from any Roleplaying you get out of customizing your soldiers, giving them backgrounds and certain traits, becoming attached to them, remembering each of their adventures and mourning their loss.

And the story, like the true motives for the aliens and the reason for their diversity becomes clear later on in the game.

Also, there is a Zombie Apocalypse mission in the DLC.

-Seriously, how do you spell cryssalid? Couldn't you have given these guys a simpler name, like "Skitterer" or "Crawler"? And mutons...why not name them "Hulks"? And what's with "Sectoids"? I'm guessing this has something to do with the original, but seriously. every other alien, from thin men to berserkers had a name that was a real word. Pick a consistent nomenclature and run with it. And the soldiers supposedly came up with the names...what's with that? "Why did they name them" is a bit odd understandable, but the "Why did they name them that is peculiar.

Chyrssalids utilize their host's body like a Chrysalis. It's probably the most fitting name really. And Sectoids have some old-school name, I'm sure it's clear in the original games.

-When I abandoned the terror mission, why were the "saved" civilians thrown out? Couldn't we take them with? And while I'm at it, why can't we take weapons, medkits, arc throwers, etc off of our dead teammates and use them? Why can't we have multiple Skyrangers? Why do the local militaries never send tanks, or soldiers, or anything? Why can't we share the technology with the world's governments, letting them make their own (possibly crappy) advanced weapons and armor? Why is it so hard to get any support? Why do the soldiers always break down any doors in their way (the "open door" command is spotty at best) and jump through any windows? Is that why we can't get the support? Why can't normal fighter jets take down UFOs if even the first, unupgraded Ravens can? Why can we send only one Interceptor at a time, anyways? There are a lot of questions like this, but I think that's enough.

The rescued civilians in a Terror mission do get rescued, but it's little relief to a country when you abandon the mission and leave a plague of aliens running around. "Yeah, you'll find a few Mutons and Cyberdisks running around downtown still, murdering dozens and destroying homes. But hey, we got 5 people out of there! Why are you guys still panicking?" As Jake Solomon, designer of the game, once said, "THAT'S X-COM BABY!"

You can't take stuff off of dead teammates from a gameplay aspect because that would make things too easy.  "THAT'S X-COM BABY!"

The single Skyranger is a prototype developed by all the Council countries in a group project, which cost a ton of time, resources and research. How many other aircraft do you know that can circumnavigate the globe in roughly three hours, while holding a crew, 6 soldiers, and possibly civilians? Replicating another one would probably take so much time and resources that by the time you finished it, four continents would be under alien control.

The local military sends soldiers and vehicles out all the time. They're just not good at it. Did you not notice all the missions with burned out husks of tanks and fighter helicopters lying everywhere? Also, the Council countries ask X-COM for weapons and tech all the time. In one of my games, I sent Canada a few thin man corpses and not only did they give me some cash, they also managed to find cures to several types of cancer.

What do you mean support? You are the Support. "THAT'S X-COM BABY!" Unless you mean the class Support itself. Well, combat doctors are hard to come by. Also, "THAT'S X-COM BABY!"

Soldiers bust down doors and jump through windows for efficiency. In any firefight, everything that gives you an extra second or allows you to get a single extra bullet off often determines who lives and who dies. Also, the Open Door command is straightforward. Stand next to door. Press door button. Door opens.

Why do you expect all this Support? You are the best military organization in the world. You're doing the supporting.

Ravens are really fast and tough for jets. Most military jet fighters wouldn't be able to keep up with an alien vessel, and even if they did, one shot would obliterate them.
Spoiler: In Conclusion (click to show/hide)

-On the Interceptors...the Firebirds were neat, but expensive. (I never even used mine.) So were other things, like Archangel armor and advanced SHIVs. Heck, pretty much anything having to do with Interceptors counts, as they almost never get used and almost always cost a lot.

Interceptors get used all the time though. Also, money isn't an issue if you make sure that countries don't leave you, and you set up satellites.

-The "cutscenes" in the middle of battle were an awesome feature! ...for the first few missions, then they got dull. There are two solutions I propose: Reduce the number and increase the variety (if possible). To the first...cutscenes most every time someone dashed, killed or saw an alien (or would have if they hit), took a reaction shot, got killed, grappled, or whatever gets dull fast. Limit it to important events--killing major enemies (that first sectoid, early thin men, mutons before we get laser weapons to deal with them, crysalids if you ever get weapons that blow the buggers away in a single shot, always berserkers, tardisks, and other "miniboss" monsters...), successful reaction shots, killing notable soldiers (ie, not the one rookie surrounded by veterans), jumping through windows, spotting a new or dangerous type of alien, etc. The second would be tougher and perhaps not feasible, but having more than one animation/"scene" arrangement per cutscene-triggering event would help.

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion like this, but it seems like a majority of people like the little cutscenes. Not only are they cool, but they allow you breathe a sigh of relief as you know something is going to go right, usually with a dead alien. It's okay to not enjoy them, but don't expect anything to change when you're proposing limiting a feature that over 80% of the fanbase enjoys. The most you can hope for is a mod that limits the amount of cutscenes, if it exists at all.

The game never named the cyberdisk for me (I didn't learn its name until I looked it up just now), so I gave it a name based on how it unfolded with more weaponry and such than should have been able to fit.
I keep forgetting how many s's and how many l's.

When you hover over their wreck it says "Cyberdisc Destroyed." There's a research option for them called "Cyberdisc Autopsy", during which they are refereed to as such by Dr. Valen.

-I noticed that, once you hti a certain point, you start needing alloys and elerium a hell of a lot. I suspect that my inability to make or research advanced weapons past a certain point contributed to my decline--my inability to take any more ships (until that last one), get more raw materials, and make new weapons. I can't help but wonder...what were the mutons' armor, or the floaters, or whatever made out of and powered by? Consider having a chance for the more heavily-cyborged or -armored enemies to drop some alien alloys, or maybe even elerium.
Material management is an important part of the game.
No, really?

Hey, at least be polite if you want answers.

-SHIVs were underwhelming. I mean, sure, they were a bit tougher and maybe had a better attack than rookies, but they can't advance, can't use advanced arms and armor, and can't take cover. Not really worth the credits. Plus, the feel was...off. It felt like they should be expendable combatants. To fix this, I would advise making them weaker and make it so they could be rebuilt if destroyed (probably at a cost).
This has been fixed in the DLC. Well, fixed, more like flawed the other side of the scale. On another note, SHIV's barely cost anything, and you can upgrade them in the foundry to use laser and plasma weaponry, amongst various other things. In the DLC you can also upgrade them with automated close combat reaction fire, infinite health regeneration, extra health and extra movement.
Also, late game SHIV's fly, so they don't need cover.
"SHIVs cost a heck of a lot more than rookie soldiers."

And they're also better than a rookie soldier. You get what you pay for.

-Make the Arc Thrower a secondary weapon. Isn't that basically what it is? Besides, if it wasn't pushing out things like nanofiber vests, SCOPEs, and medikits, I might have it more often. And on more than one soldier.
Nanofiber vest really isn't that usefull. On a side note, fixed in the DLC, where you get a foundry project that gives everyone 2 inventory slots.
"That's one; there's still a lot of other useful things. Besides, isn't the arc thrower basically a secondary weapon? It seems to fit that nice pretty well."

Nope, axillary. Secondary weapons, except the Rocket Launcher, have unlimited use.

-Seriously, how do you spell cryssalid? Couldn't you have given these guys a simpler name, like "Skitterer" or "Crawler"? And mutons...why not name them "Hulks"? And what's with "Sectoids"? I'm guessing this has something to do with the original, but seriously. every other alien, from thin men to berserkers had a name that was a real word. Pick a consistent nomenclature and run with it. And the soldiers supposedly came up with the names...what's with that? "Why did they name them" is a bit odd understandable, but the "Why did they name them that is peculiar.
Chryssalid really isn't that hard to spell. But yeah, it's mostly that aliens with the fancy names have been ported over from the old X-com. Actually, I really prefer the fancy names, rather than the unimaginative generic names.
The generic names have the advantages of being slightly easier to remember and being what soldiers might actually call the aliens.
Really, the big thing is the lack of consistency.

The aliens get named whatever the X-COM people decide on first. Blame engineer #76 for thinking it sounded cool.

-When I abandoned the terror mission, why were the "saved" civilians thrown out? Couldn't we take them with? And while I'm at it, why can't we take weapons, medkits, arc throwers, etc off of our dead teammates and use them? Why can't we have multiple Skyrangers? Why do the local militaries never send tanks, or soldiers, or anything? Why can't we share the technology with the world's governments, letting them make their own (possibly crappy) advanced weapons and armor? Why is it so hard to get any support? Why do the soldiers always break down any doors in their way (the "open door" command is spotty at best) and jump through any windows? Is that why we can't get the support? Why can't normal fighter jets take down UFOs if even the first, unupgraded Ravens can? Why can we send only one Interceptor at a time, anyways? There are a lot of questions like this, but I think that's enough.
Mostly game design. Same reason why you can only stuff 6 people in a skyranger (which kinda explains why you can't take civilians). Reason there's no military support isn't touched upon, but often the mission sites are littered with what used to be military troops. I wish to believe (no evidence in game whatsoever) that the aliens also emit a latent panic field, which explains why Earth's finest panics so much, and can't hit the broad side of a barn.
"Well, yes, but some in-game explanation would help."

"X-COM BABY!"

On a side note, you do sometimes get request from nations for materials.
"I know, but I've never seen evidence that that affects anything past giving you some more money."

Engineers and scientists are often also gifts. And money is the best support you can get until late game.

Anyway, the reason normal fighter jets can't take down UFO's is because the Raven's are, at this point, Earth's most advanced fighter craft.
"And one of them can take down UFOs on its own. The US has a lot more than one jet fighter, and the UFOs aren't seen to have multiple weapons."

U.S. Fighter Jets are pretty inferior to UFOs, with them being exploded via Plasma weapons all the time.

I've also got a lot of useful advice I've learned from experience or veteran players.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: January 16, 2014, 03:17:53 am »

ptw to see more XCOM shenanigans
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: January 16, 2014, 09:51:36 am »

-The "cutscenes" in the middle of battle were an awesome feature! ...for the first few missions, then they got dull. There are two solutions I propose: Reduce the number and increase the variety (if possible). To the first...cutscenes most every time someone dashed, killed or saw an alien (or would have if they hit), took a reaction shot, got killed, grappled, or whatever gets dull fast. Limit it to important events--killing major enemies (that first sectoid, early thin men, mutons before we get laser weapons to deal with them, crysalids if you ever get weapons that blow the buggers away in a single shot, always berserkers, tardisks, and other "miniboss" monsters...), successful reaction shots, killing notable soldiers (ie, not the one rookie surrounded by veterans), jumping through windows, spotting a new or dangerous type of alien, etc. The second would be tougher and perhaps not feasible, but having more than one animation/"scene" arrangement per cutscene-triggering event would help.

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion like this, but it seems like a majority of people like the little cutscenes. Not only are they cool, but they allow you breathe a sigh of relief as you know something is going to go right, usually with a dead alien. It's okay to not enjoy them, but don't expect anything to change when you're proposing limiting a feature that over 80% of the fanbase enjoys. The most you can hope for is a mod that limits the amount of cutscenes, if it exists at all.

There is an option to remove the "cutscenes". The in-game option is called action cam, or something along those lines. There's also a separate one for disabling the over-the-shoulder cam you sometimes get so that you can retain the slow-motion and such, IIRC. Disabling both will just give you the usual isometric view all the time. I personally prefer to play with both of them off.

Entropy is not what it used to be.
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 625