Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958243 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7200 on: January 12, 2014, 09:38:18 am »

Wait.
If you have an enemy behind another enemy and a MEC punches one into another, do they both take damage?

No, Sadly. They really should, though, given that they are punched with enough force to propel their corpse through a wall, slamming into a car that subsequently explodes.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: January 12, 2014, 02:01:35 pm »

I got this game to work after tec support suggested I manually update my onboard intel drivers. Nice.

I played a few missions on regular, found it a bit too easy and swapped to classic, and got my ass handed to me. It really hurt every time I saw a squad member go down once I had got attached to them. NOO!! WARDOOOOG!!!! I'm going back to normal mode for now.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: January 12, 2014, 03:22:30 pm »

Rather than finish a game on Classic for once I started another C/I with the intention of only using standard weapons with reaper rounds+tactical rigging for everyone.

Thin men happened. First thin man I encountered one shot crit my only heavy through full cover on the first shot. Things quickly went downhill from there. Over the course of multiple games thin men massacred multiple squads, killed multiple only-heavies-in-my-whole-base, survived flanks from shotgun assaults by only taking 3 damage from a 90% crit chance shot, and basically acted like thin men. Jeeeeeeeeez. It'd be nice if I could get through the second month before getting slaughtered.

Aiming angles and thin men are a deathtrap. I've had entire squads wiped from two thin men. It seems like if I don't have a heavy once I start getting thin men I'm doomed.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: January 12, 2014, 09:57:20 pm »

Second month in on my first Classic playthrough, Hidden Potential and Training Roulette active.

I have seven snipers. I fear for myself.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: January 12, 2014, 10:55:05 pm »

A compilation of my first playthrough of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, first shared to the Einsteinian Roulette community who got me into this game. Easy difficulty, allegedly.

I started playing X-Com: Enemy Unknown. The first mission went tutorially. The second went easily--a bit more freedom, but still pretty linear. I think I killed both of the enemies with one shot of the rifle instead of using the rocket launcher like they recommended. Wish I had caught the name of the soldier who did that.
It's pretty impressive. I like how the game transitions so smoothly from tactical view to personal view to "cutscene". It's a well-designed engine. The gameplay seems pretty fun, too, but I've only started.
EDIT: I think it's a Juan Medina of Argentina, home nation of Sq. Jorge Vargas, only survivor of the Tutorial. Medina became a Support, while fellow rookie Chase Mills of Canada became a Sniper for killing one enemy. With a grenade, I believe. Azubuike Hangana of some nation with a green-and-white flag got no kills. Poor guy...
((I wonder what the chance is of someone posting before I finish another mission and type up another report.))
Spoiler: More X-Com Stuff (click to show/hide)
Ninjedit: There was a new post. And X-Com related one. Thanks for the advice!
Hopefully, piecewise won't mind me turning this into an impromptu X-Com blog.
Spoiler: X-Com Stuff (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: X-Com (click to show/hide)
(Continued, as this passes the character limit...)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:01:08 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: January 12, 2014, 10:57:24 pm »

(My playthrough, Pt. 2)
Spoiler: X-Common (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: X-Combustion (click to show/hide)
piecewise: I'm a bit wary of just going for the high ground ever since my best sniper got killed due to lack of cover. And I eagerly await figuring out how to just run back to the Skyranger. It's probably something simple like moving everyone into the glowing rectangle, but meh.
Spoiler: X-Combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: X-Com (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: X-Combat (click to show/hide)
Say, are there lose conditions other than "Eight countries leave the Council"?
(Even THIS breaks the character limit?!?)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:34:39 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: January 12, 2014, 10:57:55 pm »

(Same, Pt. 3)
Spoiler: X-Competence (Ha!) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: X-Comeback (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: X-Complete (click to show/hide)
I expected hoped to last a while longer, but really, this is probably best. I had some new toys, but my only really experienced soldier was Specter. I also had a lieutenant sniper, a new heavy, and some rookies, plus some SHIVs.

Some critiques, in case anyone here is working on the next XCOM game.
Spoiler: Critiques (click to show/hide)

Now to delete those autosaves and such that piled up.
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: January 13, 2014, 03:25:00 am »

-The difficulty curve was...off. Sectoids? Thin Men? Outsiders? Canno fodder. Floaters? Sometimes took a couple shots, but usually not. Mutons? Tough, but doable. Crysallids? Berserkers? Swarms of mutons? Tardisks? All those other big-name aliens? Those were a lot tougher. (Especially the effing crysallids.) Similarly, early UFOs can be shot down easily with unupgraded Interceptors...then with damage...then not at all, eve with little upgrades. The first months lured me into a false sense of security, which lead to me developing habits that lead to the death of my best soldiers when I started encountering tougher aliens.
It depends on what difficulty you're playing at. At harder difficulties, The cannon fodder aliens become a real threat. (Especially thin men, which get a tendency to always hit, and crit often.) And the reason that the curve appeared to spike is probably because you got behind on the tech race. ((No idea what a tardisk is however)). Also, Chryssalid. Not that hard to spell.

-I noticed that, once you hti a certain point, you start needing alloys and elerium a hell of a lot. I suspect that my inability to make or research advanced weapons past a certain point contributed to my decline--my inability to take any more ships (until that last one), get more raw materials, and make new weapons. I can't help but wonder...what were the mutons' armor, or the floaters, or whatever made out of and powered by? Consider having a chance for the more heavily-cyborged or -armored enemies to drop some alien alloys, or maybe even elerium.
Material management is an important part of the game.

-SHIVs were underwhelming. I mean, sure, they were a bit tougher and maybe had a better attack than rookies, but they can't advance, can't use advanced arms and armor, and can't take cover. Not really worth the credits. Plus, the feel was...off. It felt like they should be expendable combatants. To fix this, I would advise making them weaker and make it so they could be rebuilt if destroyed (probably at a cost).
This has been fixed in the DLC. Well, fixed, more like flawed the other side of the scale. On another note, SHIV's barely cost anything, and you can upgrade them in the foundry to use laser and plasma weaponry, amongst various other things. In the DLC you can also upgrade them with automated close combat reaction fire, infinite health regeneration, extra health and extra movement.

Also, late game SHIV's fly, so they don't need cover.

-Early on in the game, scientists and especially engineers were in high demand and low supply. Once you get 30-40, though, the demand kinda...dropped off. I'm not sure exactly how to fix this, but it was odd. It fits back in with the "Difficulty Curve" thing as poor gameplay pacing, I guess.
Yup, once you get enough scientists, you get enough.

-Make the Arc Thrower a secondary weapon. Isn't that basically what it is? Besides, if it wasn't pushing out things like nanofiber vests, SCOPEs, and medikits, I might have it more often. And on more than one soldier.
Nanofiber vest really isn't that usefull. On a side note, fixed in the DLC, where you get a foundry project that gives everyone 2 inventory slots.

-Make the story less...linear and more developed. For instance, Thin Men were supposed to have been used as infiltrators (presumably once they fixed the "weird eyes" and "explodes into toxic gas with heavy impact" issues), but this never really gets developed. Heck, just having the Director guy turning out to be a thin man would be nice. It's a thread that gets started...then dropped. There were also hints that mutons (and other aliens?) were to some extent conquered peoples working as soldiers, with the tribal markings and whatnot, but again this was mentioned and dropped. And what do the aliens do with their human abductees? Heck, these last two could be combined--some kind of cybernetic human unit would be potentially scary. Not to mention...crysalids and zombies. Geez, just a zombie apocalypse of sorts would be worth expanding on. "Ignore/Fail a Terror Mission and that area has an infestation of the undead which will cause missions and increase panic, possibly spreading." That threat would have gotten me to risk my folks more, rather than just running once the crysallid resistance got too heavy. Two more points related to these...
Mildly touched upon in the DLC, and in the late game. Really, late game gives a decent info-dump on these beings.

-Seriously, how do you spell cryssalid? Couldn't you have given these guys a simpler name, like "Skitterer" or "Crawler"? And mutons...why not name them "Hulks"? And what's with "Sectoids"? I'm guessing this has something to do with the original, but seriously. every other alien, from thin men to berserkers had a name that was a real word. Pick a consistent nomenclature and run with it. And the soldiers supposedly came up with the names...what's with that? "Why did they name them" is a bit odd understandable, but the "Why did they name them that is peculiar.
Chryssalid really isn't that hard to spell. But yeah, it's mostly that aliens with the fancy names have been ported over from the old X-com. Actually, I really prefer the fancy names, rather than the unimaginative generic names.

-When I abandoned the terror mission, why were the "saved" civilians thrown out? Couldn't we take them with? And while I'm at it, why can't we take weapons, medkits, arc throwers, etc off of our dead teammates and use them? Why can't we have multiple Skyrangers? Why do the local militaries never send tanks, or soldiers, or anything? Why can't we share the technology with the world's governments, letting them make their own (possibly crappy) advanced weapons and armor? Why is it so hard to get any support? Why do the soldiers always break down any doors in their way (the "open door" command is spotty at best) and jump through any windows? Is that why we can't get the support? Why can't normal fighter jets take down UFOs if even the first, unupgraded Ravens can? Why can we send only one Interceptor at a time, anyways? There are a lot of questions like this, but I think that's enough.
Mostly game design. Same reason why you can only stuff 6 people in a skyranger (which kinda explains why you can't take civilians). Reason there's no military support isn't touched upon, but often the mission sites are littered with what used to be military troops. I wish to believe (no evidence in game whatsoever) that the aliens also emit a latent panic field, which explains why Earth's finest panics so much, and can't hit the broad side of a barn.

On a side note, you do sometimes get request from nations for materials.

Anyway, the reason normal fighter jets can't take down UFO's is because the Raven's are, at this point, Earth's most advanced fighter craft.

-On the Interceptors...the Firebirds were neat, but expensive. (I never even used mine.) So were other things, like Archangel armor and advanced SHIVs. Heck, pretty much anything having to do with Interceptors counts, as they almost never get used and almost always cost a lot.
Not using the firebirds probably explains why you lost. Those things are mandatory if you wish to take down later alien craft. And the archangel and advanced SHIV's really become quite nessecairy.

Final question: How much sattelites did you deploy?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: January 13, 2014, 08:43:02 am »

Whenever I get to a point in the tech tree where I get firestorms (proper name, firebird is close enough so who cares) then usually all the UFOs are just landing and don't need to be shot down. By the time I get a firestorm on every continent (which takes a few months) then I've already assaulted the alien base, have the hyperwave relay, and advancing towards end game. The only time I really use a firestorm at that point is to take down the plot-related UFO.

My tech progression for interceptors basically goes from avalanche missiles>phoenix canons on two interceptors per continent while advanced fighter craft is researched>first firestorm is built while emp canon is researched>firestorm+emp for every continent. After that I have no problems with UFOs landing with no need for any interception whatsoever.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:47 am »

-The difficulty curve was...off. Sectoids? Thin Men? Outsiders? Canno fodder. Floaters? Sometimes took a couple shots, but usually not. Mutons? Tough, but doable. Crysallids? Berserkers? Swarms of mutons? Tardisks? All those other big-name aliens? Those were a lot tougher. (Especially the effing crysallids.) Similarly, early UFOs can be shot down easily with unupgraded Interceptors...then with damage...then not at all, eve with little upgrades. The first months lured me into a false sense of security, which lead to me developing habits that lead to the death of my best soldiers when I started encountering tougher aliens.
It depends on what difficulty you're playing at. At harder difficulties, The cannon fodder aliens become a real threat. (Especially thin men, which get a tendency to always hit, and crit often.) And the reason that the curve appeared to spike is probably because you got behind on the tech race. ((No idea what a tardisk is however)). Also, Chryssalid. Not that hard to spell.
It was Easy.
The game never named the cyberdisk for me (I didn't learn its name until I looked it up just now), so I gave it a name based on how it unfolded with more weaponry and such than should have been able to fit.
I keep forgetting how many s's and how many l's.

-I noticed that, once you hti a certain point, you start needing alloys and elerium a hell of a lot. I suspect that my inability to make or research advanced weapons past a certain point contributed to my decline--my inability to take any more ships (until that last one), get more raw materials, and make new weapons. I can't help but wonder...what were the mutons' armor, or the floaters, or whatever made out of and powered by? Consider having a chance for the more heavily-cyborged or -armored enemies to drop some alien alloys, or maybe even elerium.
Material management is an important part of the game.
No, really?

-SHIVs were underwhelming. I mean, sure, they were a bit tougher and maybe had a better attack than rookies, but they can't advance, can't use advanced arms and armor, and can't take cover. Not really worth the credits. Plus, the feel was...off. It felt like they should be expendable combatants. To fix this, I would advise making them weaker and make it so they could be rebuilt if destroyed (probably at a cost).
This has been fixed in the DLC. Well, fixed, more like flawed the other side of the scale. On another note, SHIV's barely cost anything, and you can upgrade them in the foundry to use laser and plasma weaponry, amongst various other things. In the DLC you can also upgrade them with automated close combat reaction fire, infinite health regeneration, extra health and extra movement.
Also, late game SHIV's fly, so they don't need cover.
SHIVs cost a heck of a lot more than rookie soldiers.

-Make the Arc Thrower a secondary weapon. Isn't that basically what it is? Besides, if it wasn't pushing out things like nanofiber vests, SCOPEs, and medikits, I might have it more often. And on more than one soldier.
Nanofiber vest really isn't that usefull. On a side note, fixed in the DLC, where you get a foundry project that gives everyone 2 inventory slots.
That's one; there's still a lot of other useful things. Besides, isn't the arc thrower basically a secondary weapon? It seems to fit that nice pretty well.

-Seriously, how do you spell cryssalid? Couldn't you have given these guys a simpler name, like "Skitterer" or "Crawler"? And mutons...why not name them "Hulks"? And what's with "Sectoids"? I'm guessing this has something to do with the original, but seriously. every other alien, from thin men to berserkers had a name that was a real word. Pick a consistent nomenclature and run with it. And the soldiers supposedly came up with the names...what's with that? "Why did they name them" is a bit odd understandable, but the "Why did they name them that is peculiar.
Chryssalid really isn't that hard to spell. But yeah, it's mostly that aliens with the fancy names have been ported over from the old X-com. Actually, I really prefer the fancy names, rather than the unimaginative generic names.
The generic names have the advantages of being slightly easier to remember and being what soldiers might actually call the aliens.
Really, the big thing is the lack of consistency.

-When I abandoned the terror mission, why were the "saved" civilians thrown out? Couldn't we take them with? And while I'm at it, why can't we take weapons, medkits, arc throwers, etc off of our dead teammates and use them? Why can't we have multiple Skyrangers? Why do the local militaries never send tanks, or soldiers, or anything? Why can't we share the technology with the world's governments, letting them make their own (possibly crappy) advanced weapons and armor? Why is it so hard to get any support? Why do the soldiers always break down any doors in their way (the "open door" command is spotty at best) and jump through any windows? Is that why we can't get the support? Why can't normal fighter jets take down UFOs if even the first, unupgraded Ravens can? Why can we send only one Interceptor at a time, anyways? There are a lot of questions like this, but I think that's enough.
Mostly game design. Same reason why you can only stuff 6 people in a skyranger (which kinda explains why you can't take civilians). Reason there's no military support isn't touched upon, but often the mission sites are littered with what used to be military troops. I wish to believe (no evidence in game whatsoever) that the aliens also emit a latent panic field, which explains why Earth's finest panics so much, and can't hit the broad side of a barn.
Well, yes, but some in-game explanation would help.

On a side note, you do sometimes get request from nations for materials.
I know, but I've never seen evidence that that affects anything past giving you some more money.

Anyway, the reason normal fighter jets can't take down UFO's is because the Raven's are, at this point, Earth's most advanced fighter craft.
And one of them can take down UFOs on its own. The US has a lot more than one jet fighter, and the UFOs aren't seen to have multiple weapons.

-On the Interceptors...the Firebirds were neat, but expensive. (I never even used mine.) So were other things, like Archangel armor and advanced SHIVs. Heck, pretty much anything having to do with Interceptors counts, as they almost never get used and almost always cost a lot.
Not using the firebirds probably explains why you lost. Those things are mandatory if you wish to take down later alien craft. And the archangel and advanced SHIV's really become quite nessecairy.
Noted.

Final question: How much sattelites did you deploy?
I had 7 by the end of the game. I would have had eight, but Argentina withdrew from the council right after I put a satellite over it.

Whenever I get to a point in the tech tree where I get firestorms (proper name, firebird is close enough so who cares)
My bad. Been a while.

My tech progression for interceptors basically goes from avalanche missiles>phoenix canons on two interceptors per continent while advanced fighter craft is researched>first firestorm is built while emp canon is researched>firestorm+emp for every continent. After that I have no problems with UFOs landing with no need for any interception whatsoever.
Noted.
Sig

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: January 13, 2014, 10:10:38 am »

This is kind of interesting, I think, since for me, usually playing classic, it's the other way around. It's more difficult in the beginning since you have so few tools to use. Especially when you get thin men as they tend to crit your guys in full cover while surviving a grenade which makes them very annoying to deal with without laser weapons. It's also difficult juggling the satellite deployment versus spending resources on weapon development. Especially if you lose a few guys and have to get new rookies, which actually costs a fair amount.

There are a few points where the game really tests your tech progression. One very harsh one is when mutons start appearing, by then you really need laser or plasma weapons and some upgraded armour, otherwise you'll have a bad time. There's also the first difficulty spike, the first terror mission, where chryssalids are introduced. If you get through that without losses you're probably doing pretty well.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: January 13, 2014, 12:05:41 pm »

Just got this.

Named a guy 'Andrew Jackson' and as a final gift on his first mission, takes down the remaining sectoids with one grenades.

Yaaaay.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: January 13, 2014, 12:09:08 pm »

Named a guy 'Andrew Jackson' and as a final gift on his first mission, takes down the remaining sectoids with one grenades.

You know that his nickname must be "Old Hickory", right? He is clearly a reincarnation of the seventh US President, and no other callsign will do.

EDIT: Now I want to replay XCOM with the US Presidents as your soldiers, damn it!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:10:59 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: January 13, 2014, 12:13:22 pm »

You know that his nickname must be "Old Hickory", right? He is clearly a reincarnation of the seventh US President, and no other callsign will do.

EDIT: Now I want to replay XCOM with the US Presidents as your soldiers, damn it!

My first play through has everyone named after famous people.

Currently Cleopatra has 8 kills on 3 missions with Joan of Arc and Jackson following her.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: January 13, 2014, 12:14:46 pm »

My first play through has everyone named after famous people.

Currently Cleopatra has 8 kills on 3 missions with Joan of Arc and Jackson following her.

Oh. I thought that the RNG had smiled upon you or something. Sorry about that. Still, he better be 'Old Hickory'.
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 625