Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958181 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #6435 on: September 14, 2013, 08:17:28 pm »

In my most recent Ironman Impossible attempt, I have a British soldier named William Williams.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: September 14, 2013, 08:52:31 pm »

Truly, a more British fellow hath never walked this Earth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: September 14, 2013, 09:37:17 pm »

In my most recent Ironman Impossible attempt, I have a British soldier named William Williams.

Like the guy that signed the Declaration of Independence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Williams_(Continental_Congress)

I still need to pick this game up I've just been too lazy maybe next sale or something.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6438 on: September 14, 2013, 09:42:56 pm »

The fuck? That UI looks WAY better than what's in the final game (except for the giant floating Xbox prompt of course). >.>
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #6439 on: September 14, 2013, 09:50:21 pm »

Update on William Williams: He's dead.

Got shot, survived, panicked, shot an ally, missed, ally panicked, shot at him, didn't miss.

I shall never forgive you Rookie Gibson. That shall be your title FOREVER. Though, a bomb mission has come up, and what a perfect way to dispose of him!
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: September 16, 2013, 01:35:22 pm »

I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like the Slingshot missions. They're difficult, sure, but they're also the same every time. And the reward you get is much to good. It's not even the tech boost, it's the shear amount of elerium and alloys and whatnot. I went from barely scraping by and making hard choices about what to spend money & alloys on to pretty much getting everything I wanted right after the mission set ended. That let me get not only better equipment for the troops but also let me expand my satellites out much faster than I should have been able to, which sort of snowballed.

Right now that game has me with almost all countries covered, a ridiculous income, and no lack of materials at all. I haven't even researched the blaster bomb or fusion lances yet, because I just haven't needed them. I probably will soon, since I'm about to research the Firestorm and the fusion lances will come in handy, but it's kind of ridiculous. I've never had a Classic Ironman game turn into quite a steamroll like this before. I've done well, sure, but...this feels kinda cheap. Like I didn't really earn it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: September 16, 2013, 03:02:46 pm »

I've given up on trying an Ironman Impossible. Finished Ironman Classic on my first attempt (first play-through, too), but Impossible seems to be... not literally impossible, but to win it feels like you need to abandon the sensible tactics of Classic and go for a gimmicky approach.

Most of the problem between classic and ironman is that sectoids can't just be killed with 1 grenade and you have to be pretty lucky for your guys not to be 1-shotted.

The annoying thing about Ironman Impossible is due to harder sectoids some of the early maps can really screw you over because it's pretty hard to kill the sectoids without either setting off another pack or liberal use of grenades. Some of the maps have lots of destructible cover so sectoids can just win easily by firing from long range and destroying your cover while you need rockets or grenades to blow up their cover.

I feel for Ironman impossible you just need luck for the first few missions to get some good maps and a bit of luck to get a decent squad, once you get laser weapons and some ranked up guys it gets a lot easier but before that you really need careful planning of knowing where the aliens are going to be, and if you get murder street (youtube beagle) as your first map just abandon that attempt and start a new campaign.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: September 16, 2013, 03:51:52 pm »

You generally want to equip your entire squad with grenades on II.

The maps I found incredibly hard on II were the gas station, when you're assaulting the gas station itself, and any map where your main source of cover was cars. So the highway, the bridge, and so forth.

The easy maps were those where you had buildings to hide in, so the construction site, the fast food joint, etc.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #6443 on: September 16, 2013, 04:21:06 pm »

There's this one construction site, the one I think you're talking about, that is almost always total hell to me. It's the one with the half demolished building, and a crane and another vehicle at the front. Towards the right of spawn is a blue cargo container.

I've only had one good encounter with it. Other than that, something horrible has happened every time I've played it.

Also, the II playthrough that had William Williams has failed.

What a surprise.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:25:18 pm by Mageziya »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: September 16, 2013, 04:41:31 pm »

Oh, yeah. That construction site is horrible. You're stuck in the middle of everyone basically and if you're unlucky you can aggro 2 sets of enemies just by walking up to the crane.

There's another one where you've got a crane up front and then a giant pit with cement blocks and rolls. That one is pretty easy and the enemies always spawn in the same places.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: September 16, 2013, 06:29:45 pm »

I've found the trick is to just get that first squad of Aliens to reveal themselves without going past the first piece of heavy machinery (basically hugging all the cover right outside of the deployment zone.)

Do that, and most of the other groups will reveal themselves in the open, ready to be cut down. Gotta watch out for the group that likes to spawn on the right behind that blue container.

What wrecks it though are mutons and cyberdisks with grenades. There's not enough room to spread your guys out so they make tempting targets.

I'm sure on harder difficulties it's one of the least pleasant maps to play.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:50:05 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #6446 on: September 16, 2013, 06:46:06 pm »

After thinking, I've realized.

I hate all the maps. There are basically no maps I rejoice at seeing. It's either, "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE," "Crap," or "That's not terrible."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: September 16, 2013, 06:49:30 pm »

I generally prefer the wilderness maps, as you don't get surprised very often, have abundant cover and room to maneuver.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: September 16, 2013, 07:02:35 pm »

I really like the observatory map, but that appears to be council request exclusive.

whenever i see supermarket map, where you start next to two rows of cars and a bus stop, I get a feeling of dread. Have had a few wipes on that map, and one pretty epic mission where everyone on my team died except my assault, who managed to kill 3 squads of mutons and a squad of floaters, by himself, with one hp and no accessories.

Never had any particular trouble on the construction site, but haven't gotten around to dying horribly on attempting II yet.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: September 16, 2013, 07:04:28 pm »

I think the Highway Construction map is one of the easier ones. Lots of good hard cover nearby, a few high vantage points for SS snipers, and a lot of the cover the aliens start with is pretty easily destroyed.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 625