Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958248 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #6345 on: September 06, 2013, 05:25:56 pm »

Alright, alright. But it went on for 2 pages, and people started comparing consoles for another series.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: September 06, 2013, 05:27:34 pm »

Alright, alright. But it went on for 2 pages, and people started comparing consoles for another series.

It was part of a page.

Wait a minute... You are a Thinman aren't you!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: September 06, 2013, 05:34:43 pm »

*Overwatch*

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: September 06, 2013, 05:38:34 pm »

I've just noticed a sort of trend that I have. I never seem to use Shotguns for my Assualt troops. I just prefer the versatile nature of a rifle, as opposed to a shotgun's high damage, and short range.
*Overwatch*
On overwatch.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6349 on: September 06, 2013, 05:41:23 pm »

Yeah, I find that I rarely go with Shotguns except for certain situations (or the Alloy Cannon).

Oddly, I've found with my modded game that giving a Rookie a shotgun can be rather helpful, especially if they have horrible aim anyway. Not sure why I have more success with a skill-less rookie than an actual Assault using shotguns, but it's what I find.

Hmm...maybe because with the Assault I'm too tempted to use Run and Gun to rush up, which often gets me in trouble when I've forgotten about an enemy or the rush triggers another group. The Rookie, however, has to do it in one move which is generally more manageable.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: September 06, 2013, 05:43:16 pm »

Well to admit when your aim gets good enough Shotguns sort of fall out of usefulness as their advantage of extreme close range accuracy no longer matters.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: September 06, 2013, 05:45:24 pm »

Recently I made the mistake of, in the base assault, sending in three assaults, all armed with scatter lasers. Sooo many missed shots. Multiple turns involved every member in the squad unloading their weapons on a Muton to no avail.

Needless to say; I am no longer using shotguns. I also have two less assaults now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:07:08 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: September 06, 2013, 05:48:16 pm »

Except for the Alloy cannon, I'd agree. But that thing is great when combined with the ghost suit.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: September 06, 2013, 05:51:26 pm »

Except for the Alloy cannon, I'd agree. But that thing is great when combined with the ghost suit.

I think the problem is the research time difference between the Scatter Laser and the Alloy Cannon. For when it appears, the Scatter Laser is great. It will shred Thinmen, Sectoids and Ethereals Outsiders. But it's nigh useless vs mutons, or anything similar. The Alloy Cannon appears quite late in research, and resources often prevent it from being built for even longer. And this gives shotguns a bad rep.

Of note, in the Bureau game, which has almost all the same weapons, the Scatter Laser is the earliest thing you find and is never replaced by a better shotgun. You just use an awesome plasma rifle instead.

((EDIT: Derp derp...))
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:54:29 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: September 06, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »

Honestly I think that is intentional. Since the Shotgun's advantage basically no longer exists once you are using Plasma weaponry. So the Alloy cannon does more damage.

Mind you I still prefer Plasma assault guns because of the range.

Also CD is pretty right... You usually get the Allow Cannon a bit too late.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: September 06, 2013, 06:14:32 pm »

I ran the game for a looooooong time before I did the final mission. So I had lots of things.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: September 06, 2013, 06:19:10 pm »

Shotgun class weapons with rapid-fire can do the most damage which can be very useful in certain situations. Generally though I keep assaults with assault rifles but once I have skeleton suits then I normally give one to an assault who also has a shotgun, the mobility is amazing and let's you go in and blam then retreat.

My ideal 6-man squad now is 2 assaults (1 skele/ghost with shotgun, 1 skele/titan with rifle) 2 heavies with bulletswarm and shredder (skele/titan) 1 support medic with rifle supression (skele/titan) and 1 squad-sight sniper with gunslinger (skele/ghost).

Skeleton armour is so good, the mobility, grapple and defence bonus outweights the 1hp from carapace armour, but the hp bonus and poison immunity of titan armour makes it a clear cut choice once its available for most of the squad. I normally only get like 2 carapace armour and save alloys for skeles and guns.

Skeleton suit heavies are just godly btw, hunker them down in full cover and they are pretty much immune to enemy fire (except thinman poison and grenades) then use bullet-swarm to just go dakka on all visible enemies then back off and repeat, it doesn't even really matter if enemies are behind hard cover because enough dakka can destroy most hard cover and once enemies are isolated on the few islands of indestructable hard cover they are sitting ducks for the rest of the team.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: September 06, 2013, 06:29:29 pm »

Eh? I love me some shotgun action. I only ever have one Assault on my A-team, but they're almost always one of the most useful ones. Run & Gun + Lightning Reflexes is an excellent tool for dealing with standoffs or flanking enemies in good positions. Granted, I also like it because it makes for a useful counterpoint to my normal build, which is 2 snipers, 2 supports (medics geared for mobility and accuracy), 1 heavy, and 1 assault. The Assault is the tough fucker who can run up the middle to light up targets for the snipers and make it safer for my supports to get their flank on.

Part of that might stem from me not using plasma rifles, though. I arm my supports with light plasma rifles for the aim bonus because 80% of the time that they engage a target, they're cleaning up for the snipers. The increased crit chance for the assault with a scatter laser is what does it for me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: September 06, 2013, 06:31:24 pm »

I generally use two assaults one gets a shotgun and the other gets an assault gun.

Except when I break into plasma.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: September 06, 2013, 07:45:18 pm »

My assaults always use rifles.

Shotguns get them killed half the time.

I have to disagree. Shotguns are risky, but when something needs killing RIGHT ABSOLUTELY NOW an assault with a shotgun and double tap will save the entire squad from a Berserker or Cyberdisc bumrush.

A good assault and a shotgun is like a free "get out of losing your operatives free" card in some situations.
I need to put something interesting here.
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 625