Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958370 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #6240 on: September 03, 2013, 12:37:13 pm »

Um, WHERE in EU does it show multiple alien bases?

When you first get the device that lets you find alien bases. If you pay attention it shows multiple.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: September 03, 2013, 12:38:28 pm »

The spin-offs games usually suffer from the same problem (although I did like the story in UFO: After... series.)

Really? That Earth was just the mating ground of some freaky giant aliens?
I said I liked it, not that it wasn't batshit insane in a way only games from the Eastern bloc can be.  :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: September 03, 2013, 12:40:03 pm »

When you first get the device that lets you find alien bases. If you pay attention it shows multiple.

I'd need to see a screen or video. I remember them calling it "THE alien base," and implied they thought it was the only, main one.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: September 03, 2013, 12:43:26 pm »

I'd need to see a screen or video. I remember them calling it "THE alien base," and implied they thought it was the only, main one.

The video.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: September 03, 2013, 12:45:42 pm »

The video.
Links?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6245 on: September 03, 2013, 02:57:40 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOfGNh_rbU jump to 5:38 for the base discovery cut scene.  There are three locations that have rings showing something on the map however it is heavily implied that there is only one base via the dialogue. The most likely case is that those three points are receivers being used to triangulate the bases location from the signal decoded with the outsider shard.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: September 03, 2013, 03:00:46 pm »

That makes sense, I suppose.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: September 03, 2013, 11:50:49 pm »

The outsiders disappearing was pretty annoying, because the way it played out it seems that the only point of their existence was simply for you to capture one, at which point you never see any of them again.

It would have only take a single line of text in the game to explain it away, but the way they didn't bothered me.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: September 03, 2013, 11:52:18 pm »

The outsiders disappearing was pretty annoying, because the way it played out it seems that the only point of their existence was simply for you to capture one, at which point you never see any of them again.

It would have only take a single line of text in the game to explain it away, but the way they didn't bothered me.

Well to admit... you are right on the money. Even according to the plot that was their role.

Though why they never show up again even in bit roles is beyond me.

Especially since there was no indication that they even were an artificial species...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:02:15 am by Neonivek »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6249 on: September 04, 2013, 04:45:40 am »

Especially since there was no indication that they even were an artificial species...

It is made fairly explicit that they were remote psionically controlled drones, not a species. Used so as to prevent a tested species from getting their hands on a psionic alien before they have proved their physical might by capturing the ground base. If the tutorial mission is taken as canon then the glimpse of a commander is likely so as to give the tested species a target to aim for, and the survivor may have been permitted to survive so as to give that information to the rest of the species.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: September 04, 2013, 05:01:58 am »

If the tutorial mission is taken as canon then the glimpse of a commander is likely so as to give the tested species a target to aim for, and the survivor may have been permitted to survive so as to give that information to the rest of the species

Well they are specifically reconnaissance. Not everything the aliens did was entirely a set up.

It is made fairly explicit that they were remote psionically controlled drones, not a species. Used so as to prevent a tested species from getting their hands on a psionic alien before they have proved their physical might by capturing the ground base

Either that or a hint, given the specific weakness of this species is the same weakness as all the others.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:25:44 am by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: September 04, 2013, 07:39:01 am »

Guys, seriously, the Ethereal invasion was not a test. It was the full and complete intention of the aliens to cause the Bad Ending of the game, in order to be able to harvest humanity as they did all the other species of the Ethereal Collective. The reason they're so happy about X-COM's accomplishments is not "Aha, you passed our secret test!", it's "Oh shit guys, I think this is what we've been looking for!"
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: September 04, 2013, 07:47:28 am »

Guys, seriously, the Ethereal invasion was not a test. It was the full and complete intention of the aliens to cause the Bad Ending of the game, in order to be able to harvest humanity as they did all the other species of the Ethereal Collective. The reason they're so happy about X-COM's accomplishments is not "Aha, you passed our secret test!", it's "Oh shit guys, I think this is what we've been looking for!"

The "Bad ending" is where each nation starts to think about themselves and no longer work in collaboration with eachother. Meaning that the technology and resources of the world don't get pooled to this one common goal.

Meaning that the earth no longer stands a chance.

besides if it was a "real invasion" they had the resources to immediately succeed.

It was the original Xcom where they lacked that ability.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: September 04, 2013, 07:49:04 am »

On that note, I've noticed that difficulty gets skewed toward the end of the game. While I understand that this is the point, at the same time you've just about wrapped up the tech tree and have built just about everything that would be useful to you- now you're train-tracked through a dozen missions of invariable difficulty, with no time to catch a breath or partake of any sort of cathartic micromanagement element of game play. At this point, I feel like the game has lost its playability for me.

Just finished the game on normal. I thought the late game got too easy, especially with a squad of majors and colonels and guns that do 8-20 damage. Most aliens were dead before they could act, including the ethereals. The longest time an ethereal survived was when I got stuck in an ambush with 11+ muton elites, berserkers, and an ethereal controlling one of my colonels.. with my sniper positioned wrong.

I just rushed towards the finish in the post-hyperwave bit. Once you get two heavies with blasters, even taking on sectopods at a time is a cinch.

Ending was decent IMO, but I actually loved the endings of the UFO series (Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight). I think the ethereals are just too cocky and overconfident. They were used to subduing other races and having none of them fight back. And then when one actually survived and fought back, they were like... OMG, we succeeded! Oh... shit.

They didn't really comprehend that the humans would think themselves as superior instead of joining forces because of the thousands of years of being the best creatures in the universe.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: September 04, 2013, 07:57:27 am »

The "Bad ending" is where each nation starts to think about themselves and no longer work in collaboration with eachother. Meaning that the technology and resources of the world don't get pooled to this one common goal.

Meaning that the earth no longer stands a chance.

besides if it was a "real invasion" they had the resources to immediately succeed.

It was the original Xcom where they lacked that ability.
They did? I mean, their supperbattleship looked impressive, but that's about everything.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 625