Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958483 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #6210 on: September 02, 2013, 08:54:32 pm »

Pretty sure there's no such thing as a 'Celestial'. Do you mean Ethereals?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: September 02, 2013, 08:56:00 pm »

Celestials?

I find it funny that you cannot even remember them.
I find it funny that you apparently are incapable of giving a simple goddamn answer.

I also find it funny how UFOpaedia contains no mention of these Celestials. I therefore conclude that you are full of crap.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: September 02, 2013, 08:56:38 pm »

Maybe they mean the Outsiders, you know, the "Beings of almost Pure Energy!" That drop that one shard that allows you to enter the alien base when stunned.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: September 02, 2013, 08:57:37 pm »

Like are they from the original X-Com, or Terror, or Apocalypse, or were they cut mid-development, or what? I'm not finding anything about them on the tubes, so you'll have to actually tell us, man.

Or, like Sirus said, you're just screwing with us. If that's the case, ha ha, very funny oh wait it's not funny at all it's just annoying.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6214 on: September 02, 2013, 08:58:30 pm »

Maybe they mean the Outsiders, you know, the "Beings of almost Pure Energy!" That drop that one shard that allows you to enter the alien base when stunned.
Yeah. Those guys made no sense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: September 02, 2013, 08:59:20 pm »

Yep the Outsiders! Sort of one of the few aliens that outright highlight how rushed the game was overall.

OPPS!

If that's the case, ha ha, very funny oh wait it's not funny at all it's just annoying

Naw, that isn't my style.

Yeah. Those guys made no sense

They make SOME sense... But what doesn't quite make sense is their singular appearance. Even if their role was

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is no reason why they stopped showing up.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:00:55 pm by Neonivek »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: September 02, 2013, 10:07:31 pm »

There is no reason why they stopped showing up.
Its the same reason Ethereals took over from the Commanders.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: September 02, 2013, 10:11:00 pm »

Yes, there is in fact a reason why they stop showing up. The Outsiders are generated through the Hyperwave Beacon, which X-COM proceeds to steal. As soon as you do that, they never appear again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: September 02, 2013, 10:15:11 pm »

Not to mention that they're used as an antenna that you've decoded.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: September 02, 2013, 11:24:22 pm »

Amusing things aliens.

Let's use an antenna... that can become a bipedal humanoid warrior with a plasma gun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: September 02, 2013, 11:25:09 pm »

Yes, there is in fact a reason why they stop showing up. The Outsiders are generated through the Hyperwave Beacon, which X-COM proceeds to steal. As soon as you do that, they never appear again.

Except you made that up or found that out via out of game information.

Nor is that ever considered unique as far as the game is concerned.

Except that would only explain PART of that reason. They would still show up.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: September 02, 2013, 11:52:01 pm »

In the future, it would be neat if they did something about how the game handles enemy movement. It seems to me a terrible flaw that you can run the same mission twice and find it a vastly different experience, depending mostly on how far in you move your characters and suddenly reveal (and thereby activate) enemy units. For instance, if two of my units hang out by a doorway to that supply ship, I can bide my time trying to pick off the the three overpowered units that make me feel like I've made no progress whatsoever on the other side, but the moment I try to wax strategic and flank them, I am immediately punished with 10 tons of giant robot and concentrated laser.

On that note, I've noticed that difficulty gets skewed toward the end of the game. While I understand that this is the point, at the same time you've just about wrapped up the tech tree and have built just about everything that would be useful to you- now you're train-tracked through a dozen missions of invariable difficulty, with no time to catch a breath or partake of any sort of cathartic micromanagement element of game play. At this point, I feel like the game has lost its playability for me.

tl;dr:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the Outsiders, I assumed that they were mobile platforms for ship AIs. I actually didn't even notice when they made themselves scarce. :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:59:25 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: September 03, 2013, 12:22:23 am »

The Outsiders are psionic avatars of the Sectoid Commanders, so the Commanders can pilot UFOs without actually having to risk their lives.  They use the Hyperwave Beacon to remotely project their mind to an Outsider Shard, which acts like an antenna and focus for them to form a psionic construct.  Psionic energy in XCOM is also physical, as evidenced by the fact that abilities like Mindfray and Rift can destroy cover, so the Outsiders can interact with the  ship controls despite being composed of "almost pure energy".
Once XCOM takes the Hyperwave Beacon the Commanders can no longer project so they have to actually start being there physically.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: September 03, 2013, 12:24:38 am »

The Outsiders are psionic avatars of the Sectoid Commanders, so the Commanders can pilot UFOs without actually having to risk their lives.  They use the Hyperwave Beacon to remotely project their mind to an Outsider Shard, which acts like an antenna and focus for them to form a psionic construct.  Psionic energy in XCOM is also physical, as evidenced by the fact that abilities like Mindfray and Rift can destroy cover, so the Outsiders can interact with the  ship controls despite being composed of "almost pure energy".
Once XCOM takes the Hyperwave Beacon the Commanders can no longer project so they have to actually start being there physically.

Except you made that up... AND if that was true, it would still be usable.

Since the Hyperwave beacon was... well... A set up.

AND the hyperwave beacon wasn't anywhere near those people.

Psionic energy in XCOM is also physical

Well... Specifically it is that the energy can affect physical things. In a similar way that electricity or gravity does.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:41:55 am by Neonivek »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: September 03, 2013, 02:00:44 am »

AND the hyperwave beacon wasn't anywhere near those people.
The internet backbones are probably nowhere near your house too. Doesn't mean that you don't have internet. The Hyperwave beacon, is, IIRC, simply a trans dimensional signal transporter.
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 625