Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958472 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #6195 on: September 02, 2013, 12:09:41 pm »

I wonder if the MEC Troopers will be able to be repaired by captured drones.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: September 02, 2013, 12:13:53 pm »

In terms of balance I personally found Ghost Armour pretty useless, but then again it seemed to be mostly about getting shotgun wielding assaults into position, and I just never used shotgun. I always found the point blank assault rifle would do about the same when needed, but had better range.

Ghost armor's pretty damn amazing. +20 passive defense is superb and will save plenty of lives, especially on the higher levels where the aliens have some nasty criticals. +100% chance for criticals for invisibility is also awesome and helps on taking out hardened+full cover units later. IMO it's a waste on assaults because a lot of them have high defense and/or criticals anyway, and a lot of aliens take several turns to attack you.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: September 02, 2013, 12:17:28 pm »

But you forget the extra mobility. On most maps you can grapple to close the distance very quickly, and use invisibility to shoot aliens before they get the "run to cover for free when detected."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: September 02, 2013, 12:18:41 pm »

Please don't falsely attribute quotes to me.

In terms of balance I personally found Ghost Armour pretty useless, but then again it seemed to be mostly about getting shotgun wielding assaults into position, and I just never used shotgun. I always found the point blank assault rifle would do about the same when needed, but had better range.

Ghost armor's pretty damn amazing. +20 passive defense is superb and will save plenty of lives, especially on the higher levels where the aliens have some nasty criticals. +100% chance for criticals for invisibility is also awesome and helps on taking out hardened+full cover units later. IMO it's a waste on assaults because a lot of them have high defense and/or criticals anyway, and a lot of aliens take several turns to attack you.

Also I love ghost + assault, can get up close very quickly and you get defence bonus from any enemies who want revenge.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: September 02, 2013, 12:21:46 pm »

lol, i was going to reply to something else you said then decided not to and removed the wrong bbcode

Oh and ghost armor is awesome if you want an army of ninjas. Which I might just do next, now that I have too much cash :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:23:24 pm by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6200 on: September 02, 2013, 01:52:15 pm »

One of my best runs for Ironman Impossible (still haven't done it yet :( ) was me rushing laser rifles then getting skeleton armour, saved so many civvies from chrysalids with that by being able to chase down those spidery fuckers when they leap to rooftops as well as escape from zombies.

Then later on got two teleporting sectobod bugs in a row which made me depressed, first mission sectopod teleported to other end of map and kept on doing artillery barrage and second mission teleported to behind my team and killed my men who were flanked and then I just got depressed and not played since :(

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: September 02, 2013, 01:55:12 pm »

One of my best runs for Ironman Impossible (still haven't done it yet :( ) was me rushing laser rifles then getting skeleton armour, saved so many civvies from chrysalids with that by being able to chase down those spidery fuckers when they leap to rooftops as well as escape from zombies.

Then later on got two teleporting sectobod bugs in a row which made me depressed, first mission sectopod teleported to other end of map and kept on doing artillery barrage and second mission teleported to behind my team and killed my men who were flanked and then I just got depressed and not played since :(
This is why my successful ironman impossible runs had teams of mostly heavies with the extra damage to robots perk + two attacks per turn.

It's the only way to deal with random Sectopod spawns.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: September 02, 2013, 01:55:36 pm »

In the wise words of Beaglerush, the best way to win at Ironman Impossible is to run up to the aliens and jam your gun down their throat.

I mostly don't bother with armor on II, it doesn't make a difference until you get to the high-end equipment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: September 02, 2013, 01:57:33 pm »

I mostly don't bother with armor on II, it doesn't make a difference until you get to the high-end equipment.
Yeah definitely.

Guns are far more important. If you can't kill something in one turn in II, you might as well give up.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: September 02, 2013, 03:16:59 pm »

Psh if you can't kill something with laser rifles then you don't have enough laser rifles.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6205 on: September 02, 2013, 04:25:39 pm »

Psh if you can't kill something with laser rifles then you don't have enough laser rifles.
Six man squads..

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: September 02, 2013, 06:48:56 pm »

Six man squads..

I prefer plasma weapons, myself. That extra critical git is the difference between a couple of dead mutons, and a couple of plasma grenades exploding in your face and taking all of your cover with them.

In other news, footing a full squad of plasma shivs and hover shiva with a couple of squadsight snipers is hilarious.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: September 02, 2013, 08:41:37 pm »

I wonder if the Celestials will make a return in the expansion.

They were kind of... Missing.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: September 02, 2013, 08:42:15 pm »

Celestials?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: September 02, 2013, 08:49:05 pm »

Celestials?

I find it funny that you cannot even remember them.
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 625