Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958509 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #6165 on: August 30, 2013, 01:17:29 am »

Aliens come to China and land in four different cities. Mysteriously though, X-COM was not needed.
The Thin Men that landed in Beijing were promptly captured and thrown into prison for being foreign spies. Negotiations were underway for their release.
The Mutons that landed in Shangai were also captured and sent to confinement, but to a zoo instead. They charged extrodinary prices to witness these "hairless gorillas".
The Sectoids that landed in Honk Kong were mobbed by enthusiastic women and children, and shortly after, a merchandise chain of clothing was based upon these petite invaders.
The Chrysalids that arrived in the last city had the unfortunate luck to be in Guangzhou. By the time federal authorities came, they were already discussing what sauce would go best with the extraterrestrials.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: August 30, 2013, 01:17:44 am »

Eh, I'm still hoping for chrysalid cultists in robes with plasma rifles myself.
WTF?
Well, why not? Humans manage to build religions around flying monsters made of spaghetti, what's so odd about scientology evolving a religion based around an alien that wants to devour you and make you into one of its own kind? And all the buggers who are trying to stop them are Evil Satan Pagans. The Aliens would love to supply then with weapons provided they could bring some more discord into the fray.
And thus the Cult of Sirius was born (except you know the chryssalid stuff)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: August 30, 2013, 01:21:41 am »

FSM isn't actually a religion, it's a parody.
I know, but people are still photographing themselves with strainers on their heads for their IDs.  :P

But then there are all the other whackjob religions that are actually real.

Like Jedi. Or Scientology.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: August 30, 2013, 01:22:40 am »

Aliens come to China and land in four different cities. Mysteriously though, X-COM was not needed.
The Thin Men that landed in Beijing were promptly captured and thrown into prison for being foreign spies. Negotiations were underway for their release.
The Mutons that landed in Shangai were also captured and sent to confinement, but to a zoo instead. They charged extrodinary prices to witness these "hairless gorillas".
The Sectoids that landed in Honk Kong were mobbed by enthusiastic women and children, and shortly after, a merchandise chain of clothing was based upon these petite invaders.
The Chrysalids that arrived in the last city had the unfortunate luck to be in Guangzhou. By the time federal authorities came, they were already discussing what sauce would go best with the extraterrestrials.
Seems about right.

Don't forget the Sectopods and Cyberdiscs which were mass pirated and copied into cheap imitations.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: August 30, 2013, 01:24:33 am »

Man, I'd totally try Chrysalid. I think it'd taste well with soy sauce.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: August 30, 2013, 01:25:24 am »

ninja'd

Yes, there are all kinds of whackjob religions out there, Scientology being a great example. I'm just saying the Church of FSM isn't a good example, because the whole strainer thing is something people do because it's funny.

Except for the fear of the infamous(ly ineffectual) lawsuits of the Church of Scientology, someone really ought to do a game centered around them planting alien eggs in people. Because that's sort of what it sounds like they claim they're doing anyway.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: August 30, 2013, 01:27:26 am »

Except for the fear of the infamous(ly ineffectual) lawsuits of the Church of Scientology, someone really ought to do a game centered around them planting alien eggs in people. Because that's sort of what it sounds like they claim they're doing anyway.
Pretty much sounds like Shadowrun Returns to me. Except replace "Planting Alien Eggs in People" with "Turning People Into Immortal Insect Things".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: August 30, 2013, 02:44:16 am »

I'm surprisingly unmoved by the content of this new expansion :/ I kind of expected something else, even if I can't point exactly to what.
(Also, since highly functional builds of openxcom started to be released, I find myself drawn to it more than to XCOM2012. I kind of miss 2012's psionics though. )
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: August 30, 2013, 09:32:58 am »

According to the Grey Market screen, they have a disturbing propensity to still twitch several hours after dying.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: August 30, 2013, 10:31:13 am »

According to the Grey Market screen, they have a disturbing propensity to still twitch several hours after dying.

Hm. Maybe the glands that carry the zombie stimulants get ruptured by the shooting?
It's FEF, not FEOF

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: August 30, 2013, 04:10:08 pm »

I think I've figured out how to play this game properly.

1. Find UFO bridge, and setup squad around one of the walls.
2. Breach wall with rockets or grenades.
3. Kill Ethereal + Elite Mutons in one round.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: August 30, 2013, 04:14:34 pm »

Hm. Maybe the glands that carry the zombie stimulants get ruptured by the shooting?
I think of it as a way of also freaking out the populace, even after loss of life. Just imagine how frightening it would be as part of the cleanup patrol thing, and OHGODTHATCHRYSALIDJUSTMOVED! SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT!
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: September 02, 2013, 05:08:19 am »

Hmm... saw some more stuff from Enemy Within. Looks awesome. I like that they've 'fixed' some of the skills, like nerfing Squadsight and improving Sniper's Snap Shot. I like that they added stuff like Flashbangs too... about 60% of the game now is only about moving between cover.

I think I've figured out how to play this game properly.

1. Find UFO bridge, and setup squad around one of the walls.
2. Breach wall with rockets or grenades.
3. Kill Ethereal + Elite Mutons in one round.

Eh, I just open the door. By the time you get ethereal/elite mutons, they're pretty easy. My plasma sniper guys have a 100% to hit, and can kill an elite muton in one hit. The heavy plasmas are a little worse off, but still do it.

Eh, I'm still hoping for chrysalid cultists in robes with plasma rifles myself.
WTF?

Ever played X-Com Apocalypse, guys? I absolutely loved the Cult of Sirius. One of my favorite pieces of X-Com lore, aside from Marsec and the android/sectoid as minorities bit. I hope Firaxis does an interpretation of the Cult of Sirius... they did great with the Floaters, Mutons, and Firestorm (especially if you compare the Firestorm to the later X-Com ships in Interceptor, they really merge together the lore).
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6178 on: September 02, 2013, 05:30:00 am »

How did they nerf squadsight and improve snap shot? Why didn't they just update the actual game with this stuff? >.>

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: September 02, 2013, 05:41:06 am »

How did they nerf squadsight and improve snap shot? Why didn't they just update the actual game with this stuff? >.>

• Assault's Close and Personal is now called Up Close and Personal: gives a free shot when within 4 tiles of an enemy. (used to be when enemy moves within 4 tiles you auto shoot)
  • Support's Covering Fire now fires before the enemy uses its weapon. (was pretty shit when used after enemy already fired and thus having a chance to kill support as well before they use it)
  • Sniper's Snap Shot aim penalty reduced from -20 to -10. (so scoot and shoot snipers much more viable)
  • Sniper's Squad Sight only gives Critical Damage if Headshot is used. (so stationary snipers from otherside of map can't score lots of crits turn after turn)
  • Support's Deep Pockets now gives twice as many charges to Grenades, Arc Thrower, Medikits or any other item with limited uses. (can double up same item which makes a lot of sense especially with medkit)
  • Foundry upgrade that gives all classes the ability to use equip two items (dunno if this will stack with support's deep pockets for 3 or 4 items, if it does you can have ultimate medic to heal everything!)

If they updated the actual game with this stuff then people might not buy the expansion/dlc hybrid
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 625