Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958504 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #6150 on: August 29, 2013, 04:15:43 pm »

No, they dropped support because they panicked and didn't have faith in the program. Which is understandable, except the program is the only thing holding humanity together.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: August 29, 2013, 04:18:42 pm »

Except they never explicitly say that's why do they?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: August 29, 2013, 04:19:37 pm »

Except they never explicitly say that's why do they?

Yeah, they do. The council says something about funding nations withdrawing their support due to lack of faith in the X-com project.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: August 29, 2013, 04:51:10 pm »

Once again, I don't think countries dropped support in a show of "We'll succeed alone where everyone failed". In my eyes, it is more of a case of "If these guys (XCOM) can't win, no one can. Best surrender now and hope our new masters are lenient with us".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: August 29, 2013, 04:55:51 pm »

I think that depends on how far into the storyline you are. Early on, I imagine they are exactly thinking 'We don't need to waste resources on this program! We need to use them here to fight off these aliens!'. Later on, after the regular military forces have been proven to be overmatched, they're more in the 'We surrender!' camp. Either through actual capitulation or through infiltration by alien agents.

I mean, I just can't see the United States quickly surrendering after a few abduction missions in Mexico go unanswered. But I could see them declaring X-Com a waste of resources that isn't doing a good enough job and trying to fight the aliens separately. After terror missions around the globe and Alien Battleships flying around, them actually surrendering after a failed military campaign makes more sense.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: August 29, 2013, 04:57:50 pm »

From reading the news reports, it's a combination of factors. High panic means the government has both lost control of the situation and is beginning to be subverted by the aliens. For example, one of the critical panic news messages is "[Country] troops rumored to be fighting alongside aliens".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: August 29, 2013, 05:36:44 pm »

Good job!

Personally, I find Classic to be the most fun. Challenging, but I can afford to take risks and mess around a bit that I can't in Impossible while still being very easy to lose.
Come play Mafia with us!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: August 29, 2013, 06:21:42 pm »

From reading the news reports, it's a combination of factors. High panic means the government has both lost control of the situation and is beginning to be subverted by the aliens. For example, one of the critical panic news messages is "[Country] troops rumored to be fighting alongside aliens".
Plus, there's the failure ending where they shut down the program that plays along with this.  What you the player can see that the X-Com leadership cannot is the psionic Sectoid lurking behind him, mind-controlling your shadowy overlord and forcing him to say what they want.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:25:40 pm by Culise »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6158 on: August 29, 2013, 06:27:44 pm »

Also, a good sequel takes what made the original work well and builds up on that, without guarantee if it will be better or worse.
I can dig that.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: August 29, 2013, 09:23:57 pm »

I think the "Enemy Within" deal is going to be about the development of technology running rampant due to humanity's exposure to the invaders and the willingness behind that to do whatever might be felt as necessary, losing whatever moral standards humanity had in the process. That was the entire thing in Enemy Unknown, with the scientist and engineer continuously commenting on how scary the tech was becoming, hoping it was worth it and that it wouldn't bite them in the ass later and if only it could have been developed for peace.

I haven't gotten all that far with Enemy Unknown yet myself, but all along I have felt that the "evils of technology" theme was pretty latent, as if it might be building up to something. I had been hoping (and now, I think it's fair to say that hope will be disappointed without the need for spoilers) that this would be Enemy Unknown's endgame twist- humanity actually overcoming their invaders by virtue of effectively employing their own technology against them factoring some of that uncanny homosapien innovation, at last utterly beating them back (we do, after all, as defenders have the luxury of our manufacturing centers and research labs right on-hand)- only to find itself grappling with a monumental rebuilding effort, shattered world economy, the need for defense measures against future invasions, and some all too-tempting means for some very Orwellian propositions at world leaders' fingertips'.

It'd also be neat to see a sort of "bad ending canon" spinoff where we're the invaders. Draw from a base pool of investment to determine the most alluring interstellar invasion prospects, then mobilize a fleet of Murican war machines screaming electric death and GMO soldiers accompanied by the third-world citizen human equivalents to sectoids, that we may seize that distant prize for the glory of the Father World Wall Street. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: August 30, 2013, 12:41:34 am »

Eh, I'm still hoping for chrysalid cultists in robes with plasma rifles myself.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: August 30, 2013, 01:08:29 am »

WTF?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: August 30, 2013, 01:15:27 am »

WTF?
Well, why not? Humans manage to build religions around flying monsters made of spaghetti, what's so odd about scientology evolving a religion based around an alien that wants to devour you and make you into one of its own kind? And all the buggers who are trying to stop them are Evil Satan Pagans. The Aliens would love to supply then with weapons provided they could bring some more discord into the fray.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: August 30, 2013, 01:16:28 am »

FSM isn't actually a religion, it's a parody.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: August 30, 2013, 01:17:21 am »

He cannot be sirius!
 8)
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 625