Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958718 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5985 on: August 21, 2013, 06:48:14 pm »

I do think the Xenonauts X-Com-like came up with the best explanation for why the invasion builds up slowly. The very first thing you research is basically "Why are we not already dead?" and it's revealed the alien ships were built for interplanetary travel, not atmospheric combat, so the aliens are basically having to modify their own ships whilst in orbit to make them capable of actually invading effectively. Since the weaker scout and dog-fighter UFOs are smaller, they are easier to retrofit for atmospheric combat so they are the first ones you encounter.

Simple and it makes basic sense without the aliens having to be "going easy on you".
I liked the Xenonauts explanations too. The small amount of info you get in the beta convinced me they put more thought into why exactly things were happening.

Don't get me wrong, I love XCOM to bits, but they kinda were all over the place when it came to lore.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: August 21, 2013, 07:00:07 pm »

Of course, they barely give you anything to go on in the first place.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: August 21, 2013, 10:17:05 pm »

Gosh, I got so angry in UD when the aliens sent a treaty ship to a rich nation, even with a near perfect record.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: August 21, 2013, 10:32:49 pm »

Hopefully they'll give us a better set of endings too, rather than "WE WERE TRYING TO HELP YOUUUUUU~" nonsense.
The Ethereals weren't trying to help humanity, they were trying to assimilate it in order to have their perfect supersoliders. They just ended up biting off more than they could chew.

"Hey, we're just testing you! If you can survive and destroy us, it means you are fit to join us! Yay success!!! Wait..."

You've never adequately explained the "hoops" the game has to hop through to justify why this is possible

You played the game. In how many ways could have things failed?

Have you played through XCOM: Apocalypse?

Yes, but remember... they did that on their on violation.

They raped themselves?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:36:17 pm by Sergius »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: August 22, 2013, 01:07:02 pm »

So...what happened to Jake Solomon? Ananda Gupta is the new lead designer...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: August 22, 2013, 01:44:04 pm »

Ananda was brought in to address what Jake himself considered to be limiting flaws in their system and Ananda is widely renowned for work on a great boardgame. Jake is heading up bigger projects at the moment and is being groomed for leadership, is the inside word/speculation. Steve Martin may be leaving at the end of next year, with DeAngelis expected to take the reigns, leaving Jake as the heir apparent for Senior/Lead Producer.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: August 22, 2013, 06:46:58 pm »

hemmingjay, professional industry stalker extraordinaire.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: August 22, 2013, 06:58:54 pm »

Bah. Tried to run this on my laptop, failed to get past the opening credits before crashing. Oh well  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: August 22, 2013, 11:42:02 pm »

Something like that. For a little over a year I did a lot of work with the big boys and it gave me a lot of access. Then I turned my focus on indies and eventually got out of games all together. I still keep in touch with my old contacts and co-workers as well as keep an eye on the company management structures from an investment standpoint.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: August 23, 2013, 02:08:58 am »

Have you considered a career in gaming journalism? A man with your kind of connections could achieve many things.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: August 23, 2013, 05:02:43 am »

I won't let this go too far off topic but game journalism isn't much of a career on it's own. It pays very poorly and has almost no career track. People get into it in hopes of parlaying it into  proper game industry job. My financial needs preclude any type of journalism career as do my morals. Journalism is dead, even editorial is gone, replaced with advertorial. I now work closer to that field, but outside of games primarily.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: August 23, 2013, 07:19:21 am »

A fair point.

Anyway. As far as the "Enemy Within" part is concerned, I predict either Cultists or a rival, anti X-Com unit, hell bent on world domination/getting into the whole alien armada thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: August 23, 2013, 07:52:41 am »

Journalism is dead, even editorial is gone, replaced with advertorial.

Makes sense. The same thing happened with the news... decades ago.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: August 23, 2013, 10:26:42 am »

Something like that. For a little over a year I did a lot of work with the big boys and it gave me a lot of access. Then I turned my focus on indies and eventually got out of games all together. I still keep in touch with my old contacts and co-workers as well as keep an eye on the company management structures from an investment standpoint.
Well, once I finish my game, maybe I can have you point me in the direction of people who want to make it into a vidja gaem and reap large sums of money for all of us.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: August 23, 2013, 11:26:42 am »

You can go look at KickScamStarter for inspiration.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 625