Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958469 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5640 on: March 25, 2013, 01:50:37 pm »

Both of my favorite teams were Heavy heavy (heh)
Assaultx2 (One left side as forward scout, one rightside as boss-killer, except both get double shot cause flush sucks. Both get equipped with combat stims, which effectively make assaults immortal. And since you get unlimited uses, well... Let's just say maybe these are the reason I don't understand why people complain about Sectopods...)
Heavyx3 (2 go for explosives, one goes for suppression. The guaranteed 3 dmg versus groups (or 6 versus robots) or more if the enemy was shredded by another heavy is actually pretty awesome for killing folks. 100% guaranteed to hit, and doesn't use up an one-use items. He'll be getting the final pisonic power, too, since it get the HEAT and Mayhem bonus. He'll probably get combat stims, too. I love combat stims.)
Medic.
Heavies kill groups and open up options, Assaults take down big dudes.

That's the best team, heh.
Although Heavyx4+Sniper(w/in the zone) comes pretty damn close, heheh. "Step 1: Remove All Cover. Step 2: Sniper kills EVERYONE."
Heavies, all specced for explosives, half with grenades and grenadier, the other half with danger zone and combat stims)
Sniper(w/Executioner and  In the Zone)

Leveling the entire map is just enjoyable.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: March 25, 2013, 02:13:13 pm »

One complaint I have about the game is that all these lategame strategies hardly matter.  Once you have all plasma weapons, ghost armor, and experienced troops they'll kick ass regardless of how you play them.  The game hits its peak difficulty the first time mutons show up; cyberdiscs are functionally similar to mutons, and the two enemies past that show up too late to change things.  Maybe its different on impossible, I haven't got far enough to know yet.

Honestly, I prefer taking another class with a nade than a heavy with rocket. Rocket has a bigger radius, but it can miss (nades can't), and most importantly, can be launched after moving. It's also a one-trick pony, which is rather sad, because the heavy is mostly useless after having launched it. The 2 interesting thing with heavy is heat ammo, and the 3 nades, but the other class have as good (or better skills), so yeah ...

Its three rockets and two grenades, not one rocket and three grenades.  Also, the rocket functionally has a ~95% chance to hit, because scatter usually hits at least one target anyway (unless it hits something right in front of the heavy, but you can avoid that).

If you bring two heavies built as demolitionists, the enemy effectively doesn't get cover.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #5642 on: March 25, 2013, 02:50:28 pm »

I'm nearing the 60th episode of my LP so far (Classic, Ironman, Blind) and haven't used combat stims yet. I've stayed away from experimenting too much with totally new territory because I'm late-ish game now, but can't afford to lose any battles. The next pip on the doom-meter is the end of us I'm afraid, and after so many episodes I'd hate to come up with a failure lol.

So, how do they actually work? Because from the way you were talking about them, they sound amazing, but I'd love some more details before I try to salvage enough berserker bodies to make some.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: March 25, 2013, 02:53:38 pm »

Combat Stims improve the Will of the user by 30. Their primary use is in raising the Will of your Psionics, since a higher Will score means a higher success rate.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: March 25, 2013, 02:59:13 pm »

Combat Stims improve the Will of the user by 30. Their primary use is in raising the Will of your Psionics, since a higher Will score means a higher success rate.

You also take half damage while the Combat Stims are active.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: March 25, 2013, 03:06:51 pm »

Half damage, immunity to criticals, and Will+30, for two enemy turns. They then have a cool down, and can be used again.

Bring Two Heavies with combat stims (they get additional damage reduction on top) and swap them out as your front line and they can eat tons and tons of damage.

I prefer it on Assaults, though, since they get the nice health bonus from late game armor and the ability to autododge the first reaction shot is a bit more valuable, imo.

Two stimmed Assaults can basically waltz in and kill everything over the course of two turns without worrying about getting killed in return. The complete immunity to critical hits and the assaults guarantee-to-hit removes a lot of chance from the encounter. You've got a real good idea of worst case (which is 50% of total base enemy damage output) and can tailor your planning pretty effectively.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:08:58 pm by GlyphGryph »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: March 25, 2013, 03:07:39 pm »

Really?  The description made it sound like the will buff only applies defensively (not disagreeing with you, I haven't used them enough to know).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: March 25, 2013, 03:09:39 pm »

Really?  The description made it sound like the will buff only applies defensively (not disagreeing with you, I haven't used them enough to know).
Anything that raises Will improves Psionics, descriptions be damned. Combat Stims, Psi Armor, Mind Shields, Psi Inspiration Drugged Smoke Grenades, all of it. Will is the Aim of Psionics.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: March 30, 2013, 10:18:03 pm »

GRRRRRRRR. I just got a Code Black because the game decided to freak out on me and removed the extraction zone.

BIG SKY IS AN ALLIUM-SYMPATHIZING TRAITOR.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:28:18 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: March 30, 2013, 10:32:15 pm »

GRRRRRRRR. I just got a Code Black because the game decided to freak out on me and removed the extraction zone.

That killed my first run.

If we're thinking of the same glitch reloading should cause the extraction zone to reappear.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: March 30, 2013, 10:35:45 pm »

If we're thinking of the same glitch reloading should cause the extraction zone to reappear.
TOO LATE NOW, IRONMAN ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.
No Gods, No Masters.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #5651 on: March 30, 2013, 10:48:25 pm »

TOO LATE NOW, IRONMAN ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.

Doesn't matter. Ironman just prevents you from saving and automatically saves after each action taken instead. Quit, reload the save, see if it works.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: March 30, 2013, 10:50:57 pm »

Doesn't matter. Ironman just prevents you from saving and automatically saves after each action taken instead. Quit, reload the save, see if it works.
I don't think you are understanding me. Code Black. Everyone is already dead. I'm on the next UFO landing now. Save has long since moved on.

I think it's my headcannon that Big Sky is an allium-sympathizer now.
No Gods, No Masters.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5653 on: March 30, 2013, 11:40:39 pm »

I should sig this.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: April 01, 2013, 12:43:31 am »

Well, all has gone to shit on this Classic Ironman run now. It all began on Operation Morbid Fist, in which half my elites were laid up in medbay. I didn't think this would be a problem, but then I lost some of the other half on the next mission due to rookies being useless fucks. Then came hell, when my other elites got back in the field, in Operation Black Summer. Transport UFO crash, should have been easy. Then I ran into five Heavy Floaters and the run's first Sectopod in one turn. This didn't do me in, but I lost some rookies. I went on to deal with the Sectoid Commanders, but the turn I killed them off I was suddenly ambushed by another Sectopod, three more Heavy Floaters, and three normal Sectoids(?). The close quarters and reduced firepower kept me from taking out the Sectopod, and it killed all three of my people in one turn (with the last one being taken down by auto-overwatch when she decided to panic and run for it).

Now I'm stuck with useless rookies (technically squaddies, but there's little difference at this point). Next mission a Panic Spiral killed five members of Rookie Squad 01 in one turn. All is lost. I blame Big Sky. (Oh, and that terror mission from before? Turned everyone in Europe into allium lovers but Russia.)
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 625