Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958907 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5370 on: January 12, 2013, 04:18:08 pm »

Thin men are evil bastards though, even if you get them later on in council missions there will be dozens of them, always overwatching from hard-cover and sniping off your guys, and the moment you try and flank one you spot 6 more.

Of course with the 'not-created equally' 2nd wave option you can get some 80 aim rookie/squaddies, pop a scope on and a light plasma rifle and you have decent odds at taking out thin-men behind hard cover, with that set-up I would have most of the other members of the squad be based to support the 1 shooter and have lots of medkits to heal up any damage that you try and trade.

I have a pretty decent squad and still thin-men can be annoying, not fatal anymore but causing a few injuries.

XCOM is pretty damn buggy though, and even though they "fixed" the abductor roof glitch there are still pathfinding problems, hilariously while on the roof of the abductor.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5371 on: January 13, 2013, 03:13:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: January 13, 2013, 04:11:55 pm »

Don't you get the option to restart the mission on a team wipe without Ironman? Just psi-rift your own team.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: January 13, 2013, 04:37:46 pm »

If anyone has a problem with saves... turn on autosave in the options.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5374 on: January 13, 2013, 04:44:18 pm »

Damn it. After spending several days building up my colonel supply, The assault on the overseer ship fared spectacularly badly.

Ran around a corner and found myself face to face with a sectopod, smashed it with a rocket for half its health... and the wall next to it  falls over to reveal... another sectopod, 2 or 3 elite mutons, a berzerker, and the ethereal... Then a flight of 3 armored flyers blast through a nearby door into flanking positions.

In 1 round, I had 4 dead soldiers, and one mind controlled sniper playing tag with my only remaining psionic heavy. I managed to haul ass to the extraction point and regained control of the sniper as well. They both made it off the map with 1 and 3 health respectively.

The mission was a failure.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: January 13, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »

Yeah, when doing ship fights explosions in are always dangerous.

Althought whats annoying is Sectopod being spotted and somehow teleporting to other side of map, every 4 turns it's artillery barrage until I find the bastard.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: January 13, 2013, 07:00:04 pm »

Wow, I had known about the teleportation of enemies before, but I never knew it was so bad. Sure, teleportation into the middle of my troops and all, but... this is worse.

I threw a battlescanner and found a group of sectoids. Well, they fumbled around the same general area in front of my troops for several turns until...

POOF, they're magically BEHIND MY TROOPS. On the exact opposite side of the map. Somehow, they managed to sneak past 5 killer humans and walk three times as far as an Xcom operative can dash. In one turn. And my guys knew they were there. They didn't even activate either. What, did they mess with my the minds of my guys or something?

"We do not exist. We are not walking past you. There are still two sectoids over there. Ignore us. Obey."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:02:09 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5377 on: January 13, 2013, 07:03:46 pm »

Why is it that I have never encountered this supposed 'teleporting' glitch? ???

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: January 13, 2013, 07:42:33 pm »

Lucky, perhaps. My first few games I don't think I've ever seen aliens teleporting into the middle of my troops. This game I've seen it at least twice.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: January 13, 2013, 07:47:14 pm »

It mostly happens when you have a tiny bit of fog of war in between all of your troops. Enemies can spawn inside any fog of war, no matter how improbable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: January 13, 2013, 09:03:51 pm »

How can a sectopod teleport inside my formation of troops within overwatch distance of each other? I doubt it's the fog of war in the middle.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5381 on: January 13, 2013, 11:35:57 pm »

It mostly happens when you have a tiny bit of fog of war in between all of your troops. Enemies can spawn inside any fog of war, no matter how improbable.
Well that explains it. I always keep my men uber-close to each other since I finished that impossible playthrough. :/

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: January 14, 2013, 12:16:06 am »

ARGH CANADA. YOU HAVE LESS BACKBONE THAN ARGENTINA. Look, you're one flipping country away from the biggest baddest alien killing organization in the world, who are based in a country which is as far as I know are one of the best friends you have. Argentina is an entire continent away. If you break before they do then that says things about your sense of commitment.

Now I'm going to have a black hole right over my base for the rest of the game. Grrrr.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: January 14, 2013, 03:48:54 pm »

The way I finished the final mission in my previous (normal ironman) game was a single barrage of heavy plasma followed by a lucky sniper headshot from the far side of the corridor. Well, that was on my second try, since my squad got wiped the first time. At that point, I was getting kind of tired of the last mission, so it was really a very nice turn of events.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5384 on: January 14, 2013, 03:57:58 pm »

The final scene of the final mission is actually really easy to take down in a single round if you have 2 fusion rockets and 2 teamsight snipers, and 1 other guy with ghost armor. If you can ghost for more than a round, you can get through with less heavy beyond visual range artillery and still take no damage.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 625