Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958916 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5355 on: January 10, 2013, 06:36:48 am »

Oh damage roulette why do you always screw me over. Laser rifles at sectoids, 2 damage. Then finally fire at last sectoid with 1hp left, 18 damage crit!

I think in the course of 3 ironman games damage roulette has saved maybe 2 of my guys and screwed over 8 (screwed over as in getting them killed when charging into hostile situations).

I'm doing pretty well now but my most consistent damage dealer is sniper with laser pistol and gunslinger who will always do a minimum of 4 damage while everyone else seems to like hitting those 1's.

Not created equally almost feels like cheating though because I have a heavy with 80 aim and only sgt so far, bullet swarm is mowing down everyone, of course I have a few useless snipers with 65 aim so I suppose it evens it out a bit.

EDIT: And now LoS bug screws me over again as rest of team on overwatch can't see what is at the top of a ramp and fail to notice fellow team-mates on ramp getting munched on by chyrsallids. Doesn't help that the two people getting munched on hit thier overwatch shots when it only dealt 2 dmg, damn you damage roulette!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:07:21 am by Sharp »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: January 10, 2013, 10:20:32 am »

If you want to make damage roulette interesting, remove the health bars.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: January 11, 2013, 10:37:27 pm »

Woah, I just had a weird bug. A Sectoid was running, then one of my guys killed it with 3 points of damage in overwatch (100% sure it had 3 HP) and... it promptly smashed through a door and ran into cover before promptly dying.

"OH SNAP Xcom. Time to run into cover and make them come to me and activate more of my buddies."
*Runs, promptly gets shot*
"Oh well, I'm sure that guy inflicted the 2 points of damage that those crappy pellet guns they call 'assault rifles' often do. No biggie."
*Runs into cover, promptly checks HP*
"Wait... he did 3 points of damage. 3-3 is 0. HURK-"
*Dies*
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: January 11, 2013, 10:45:08 pm »

Well, I just lost my meatgrinder game. It's a shame, since I had managed to get Titan Armor and two squaddies when it finally happened, courtesy of a TELEPORTING SECTOPOD. God, I wish they would fix the teleportation glitch already. I can't afford to fight teleporting Sectopods.

I still didn't get past capturing an Outsider.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: January 11, 2013, 11:08:12 pm »

I think the teleporting behaviour is intentional- but teleporting while revealed is not.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: January 11, 2013, 11:26:38 pm »

A Sectopod should not be able to spawn behind a pamphlet rack when I look away for five seconds. It would take some kind of tactical geniu-

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: January 11, 2013, 11:52:02 pm »

Woah, I just had a weird bug. A Sectoid was running, then one of my guys killed it with 3 points of damage in overwatch (100% sure it had 3 HP) and... it promptly smashed through a door and ran into cover before promptly dying.

"OH SNAP Xcom. Time to run into cover and make them come to me and activate more of my buddies."
"Oh well, I'm sure that guy inflicted the 2 points of damage that those crappy pellet guns they call 'assault rifles' often do. No biggie."
*Dies*
Alien adrenaline? People can get shot in real life and not realize it until they start coughing blood or whatever.
Still a humorous glitch, never seen it before.

A Sectopod should not be able to spawn behind a pamphlet rack when I look away for five seconds. It would take some kind of tactical geniu-

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!
God-Emperor dammit, now I have cola dripping out of my nose. Thanks a lot, jerk.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: January 11, 2013, 11:56:16 pm »

*Dies*

"Ha ha, Xcom suckers! I'm still ali-" *flatline*
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: January 12, 2013, 12:24:30 am »

Well the bugs sort of even themselves out, there is also the free vision bug where you can see some of the alien groups as they patrol/teleport around the map.

Also there is a bug which causes aliens to randomly die, had a sectoid kill himself by falling through the map (still recovered the corpse!). Now would be nice for the sectopod to fall through the map instead.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: January 12, 2013, 12:33:03 am »

Well, I just lost my meatgrinder game. It's a shame, since I had managed to get Titan Armor and two squaddies when it finally happened, courtesy of a TELEPORTING SECTOPOD. God, I wish they would fix the teleportation glitch already. I can't afford to fight teleporting Sectopods.
What the hell sort of game are you playing? o___O Is it a second wave one? Were you just trying to make things difficult?

I don't understand anything any more!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: January 12, 2013, 12:48:11 am »

Classic Ironman, with a bunch of Second Wave options on. Things started to go bad around the time I lost everybody but the rookies. TPKs upon TPKs...
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5366 on: January 12, 2013, 02:17:23 am »

If you have enough satelites up to keep the cash rolling in to replace the soldiers a couple times a month, the random number gods will eventually give you a set of easy enough missions to level up a few soldiers.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: January 12, 2013, 02:41:20 am »

No they won't. Once you're up to Elite Mutons and Sectopods it is more or less impossible, and the terror missions will hike up the doom counter until you lose.
No Gods, No Masters.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: January 12, 2013, 04:05:56 pm »

You're not the only one facing teleporting sectopods. I had one today when raiding the alien base for the fourth time. It popped out of nowhere to the middle of my four remaining guys, causing me to flip out and start emotionally preparing for losing all my experienced soldiers AGAIN.

Then it shot itself with its own mortar. :|

The same mission also featured other interesting glitches. At one point, the game stopped updating a SHIV's position or something, leaving a single square where it had been (a fucking one-tile doorway because the game hates me) unwalkable, and making the shiv itself appear passable. It isolated the SHIV from the rest of my squad who had to find another way around, and it died. I didn't actually try moving any soldiers to the SHIV's tile, for fear things would break worse. Also, a sniper had a red alien indicator lit for most of the mission, even though no aliens were visible and she had no targets available. Maybe the sectoid commander was giving her hallucinations. :P

No they won't. Once you're up to Elite Mutons and Sectopods it is more or less impossible, and the terror missions will hike up the doom counter until you lose.

Depends on what your tech level is and how much alien loot you got stockpiled. without a pile of weapon fragments, you can't research shit, but if you get the high-tier weapons made, your squaddies will have a chance against sectopods. Not a very good chance, but in this game, the default setting is to NOT lose your weapons when the squad is wiped. Besides, sometimes the game gives you Council missions with nothing but Thin Men. Recovering from losing all your soldiers is nontrivial, but definitely possible, even on Classic difficulty.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: January 12, 2013, 04:12:26 pm »

One of my guys had a phantom alien indicator for almost the entire alien base assault mission.  It was right after some seriously janky shots through walls, that might have had something to do with it.
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 625