Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959046 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5265 on: January 05, 2013, 10:53:16 am »

I just finished the alien base assault, expecting it to be the last mission or something like that  :P. I've had quite a succesful run so far, this may be my first win. Is there much left after the alien base? I hear about a lot of technologies I don't even see yet such as alloy cannons and ghost armour and I'm guessing psionic stuff comes after the alien commander intelligence.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #5266 on: January 05, 2013, 11:23:40 am »

The Alien base assault is sort of a mid point in the game. There is more, just defining how much might be a little difficult since you can rush the game or wait as long as you want in between story points.

And on a random note, one thing I didn't like about the Alien base is after you assault it, the XCOM base music changes from this quite, peaceful tune, to this constant droning tune.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: January 05, 2013, 11:31:42 am »

It does? I never noticed.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: January 05, 2013, 01:44:38 pm »

Damn it I finally had a reasonable playthrough no extreme bullshit as usual, relatively fair odds. Things were looking up I had a good squad going. I had a squadsight sniper with a scope set up to minimize chances, just incase something goes horribly wrong.
Then second ufo assault. The RNG decides to, despite my superb strategy and team, complete fucking screw me over on every single vital chance, multiple times in a row. After falling back on the trusted bunker n snipe em method the RNG drives it up another notch and gives the enemy perfect fucking aim against full cover from max sight distance.

I FUCKING HATE THIS RANDOM BULLSHIT. I DID NOT ERR, JUST GOT FUCKING SHAFTED BY SOME STUPID DICE!
/end rage

I hope I get past this initial bullcrap early game phase at some point, feels like I'm just pulling a lever on a slot machine. No real user input required, just some random stuff...

Edit: Again! 4 extremely crucial 70% shots missed, again on second UFO. I have a feeling this is fucking rigged man. Let's do some math, 30% chance to miss, 4 times consecutively is 0.3^4=0,0081 or 0,81%. I'm not buying it, not after this shit happens so often. I'm DONE with this game and its retarded rigged RNG!

I apolagize for the attitude, but it is the only way to accuratly portray the situation.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 04:27:07 pm by Jelle »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #5269 on: January 05, 2013, 01:51:11 pm »

There are some things you can do to alter the dice, such as running into hugging range of some of the Aliens and removing their faces via bullets, switching to pistol if they are using a shotgun, and using Scopes.

EDIT: Defensively, you can use smoke grenades and Hunker Down. However, if you use this with peeps close together late game you will be fed live grenades.

It does? I never noticed.

It changes from this song to this.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:00:11 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: January 05, 2013, 04:00:08 pm »

My first game on Classic crashed and burned in short order, and the second one is starting to tumble down. I've played long enough that the game is spawning sectopods, and my plasma rifles just aren't cutting it against them. I've researched heavy plasma and titan armour, but I'm out of alloys and elerium, so I can't actually manufacture them. Research is stalling too. I've tried assaulting the alien base thrice now, and made it face-to-face with the sectoid commander twice. Both times were with a lone soldier shot to near-death, and went predictably.

But yeah. Sectopods are complete bullshit. They can fire their energy cannon twice per turn, and that bombardment attack is just ridiculous. Also, all my experienced soldiers are dead. I got most of the officer training upgrades, so I'm sending squaddies to die rather than rookies, but they're still dying.

Egypt's dropped out from the Council, but other than that, I got full satellite coverage. I guess there's still hope, since panic is mostly under control. I'll just have to send those squaddies to die in hopes some will eventually survive and level up enough to survive more. And also bring back alien materials that I can turn into heavy plasma cannons and titan armour.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: January 05, 2013, 04:31:29 pm »

My first game on Classic crashed and burned in short order, and the second one is starting to tumble down. I've played long enough that the game is spawning sectopods, and my plasma rifles just aren't cutting it against them.

You want heavy with bullet rain or what's it called and heat ammo and heavy plasma, melts sectopods like its nothing. Sniper with disabling shot doesn't hurt either.
Bit late in the game to take down the alien base though, psionics are nice to have and you can get 'em once you face the sectoid commander in there.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #5272 on: January 05, 2013, 05:37:44 pm »

As far as I know, the bombardment attack by Sectopods has a visible charge up the turn before it fires, and it will always shoot at  the spot it was 'aiming', even if you moved, sort of like a delayed rocket.The As such, you want to move your soldiers from their current positions if you see that, if you don't, I hope you brought a spatula.

When it's not bombarding, Hunker Down and Smoke Grenades should help.

To save on Alloys and what not, stun aliens for free plasma stuff. Light Plasmas are dropped by Floaters and Thinmen, Plasma Rifles are dropped by Mutons, Heavy Plasmas are dropped by Elite Mutons, and Sectoids drop Plasma Pistols. I'm unsure what Heavy Floaters drop. If a Council Mission occurs, make sure to bring a Arc Thrower in case Sectoids appear, since pistols can be nice.

Also, when you get the chance, make sure to invest in Blaster Launchers, though that is a bit far from your point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: January 05, 2013, 05:45:02 pm »

That isn't exactly true. You can get Heavy Plasma off of the Heavy Floaters.

As well Elite Mutons will not use Heavy Plasma until you have it yourself or until a certain period of time passed

It is one of the few genuin mistakes I think the game makes that has nothing to do with bugs. It REALLY hurts the immersion when you know the only reason the enemies switched to the better weapon is because you developed it (and for some mysterious reason... created the EXACT same weapon they had... even though you never saw it)

Had this game not been rushed I am sure that weapons you make yourself would look more human.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: January 05, 2013, 05:46:17 pm »

Sectopod is quite a pain in the ass. Huge firepower, huge hp, high defense (which means malus for aim), but low mobility.
If you got a double tap sniper with team sight, you can begin to hurt him, and finish him with a ghost assault alloy (or plasma). I had a game with 2 support plasma rifle, 2 assault alloy, 1 sniper, and 1 heavy (he was cursed, never had a heavy much than 2 or 3 missions), and that's what I used.

Light plasma rifle are great. You can rush it and research it by month 2, and with a bit of luck, you can have enough to give to your whole squad (had 5 at the time). Their damage is not as high as the rifle, but they have a nice +10 at aim. At that point, aliens stop being horrible monsters, and it becomes a bit more of a fair fight (weapons are far more important than armor, badly).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: January 05, 2013, 05:48:54 pm »

Honestly the point where the game becomes less bad is when you gain enough EXP so that you have soldiers who don't die in one hit. Knowing you can take exactly one hit changes things dramatically.

I'd agree with you PanH except that the computer tends to use FAR outdated weaponry. (heck the only weapons I ever had to build myself are ones I couldn't make myself)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: January 05, 2013, 06:09:22 pm »

Honestly the point where the game becomes less bad is when you gain enough EXP so that you have soldiers who don't die in one hit. Knowing you can take exactly one hit changes things dramatically.
Except the occasional crit.

I'd agree with you PanH except that the computer tends to use FAR outdated weaponry. (heck the only weapons I ever had to build myself are ones I couldn't make myself)
I guess you meant the ones you couldn't find. I personnally never had to make more than one of each (heavy, rifle, sniper, alloy). In terms of equipment, I go skeleton, light plasma, titan, plasma weapons, ghost.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: January 05, 2013, 06:22:39 pm »

Laser Snipers arn't bad. Especially since Plasma snipers take a while. Same with Laser Shotguns (Since Alloy takes forever! even if it is a killer weapon)

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: January 05, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »

5 missions into my campaign. 1 Casualty, from a combined effort of Thin Man poison, and cheeting floaters. 2 missions were from the council(Extraction, to be exact.)
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: January 05, 2013, 06:59:39 pm »

You want heavy with bullet rain or what's it called and heat ammo and heavy plasma, melts sectopods like its nothing. Sniper with disabling shot doesn't hurt either.
Bit late in the game to take down the alien base though, psionics are nice to have and you can get 'em once you face the sectoid commander in there.

That sure would be a good strategy if I could keep my guys alive long enough to level up. :P

And I know I'm late to the alien base. The first time I went in, I lost all my experienced guys. The second time was when out of annoyance, I sent six rookies, with predictable results. The third time, A sectopod bombarded my team from outside the LOS. Seriously, I got one glance at that thing, and it walked off the screen. Then, BOMBING. I suppose it was my own fault for keeping them too close together, but I really didn't expect that to be a thing that can happen.
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 625