Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959102 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5220 on: January 03, 2013, 12:30:38 am »

Too much, I think. Maybe one class-specific Psi skill, but not whole trees.

What I'd like is a skill tree for SHIVs. They aren't useful enough as they are.
Both of those ideas make sense.

Just call the SHIV tree "upgrades".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: January 03, 2013, 12:34:09 am »

No, that makes little sense. You already upgrade your SHIVs, and getting an upgrade that would not be applicable to the rest would be really stupid. The SHIVs are presumably piloted by actual people, and they can learn just the same as field solders.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: January 03, 2013, 12:39:50 am »

I don't think SHIVs are remote controlled or whatever. Otherwise, if SHIV skills are implemented then all SHIVs would have the same skills as they are built (as I doubt that XCOM would fire each pilot as each SHIV is destroyed).

The "upgrades" I'm speaking of are minor tinkerings done to each individual SHIV, and not standard. Sorta like how people will customize their sports cars.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: January 03, 2013, 02:24:58 am »

I don't think SHIVs are remote controlled or whatever. Otherwise, if SHIV skills are implemented then all SHIVs would have the same skills as they are built (as I doubt that XCOM would fire each pilot as each SHIV is destroyed).
Of course they're remote controlled. It isn't like X-Com does AI research. I wouldn't be opposed to creating a SHIV Operator class: They can't be deployed directly, but they can be assigned to any SHIV. Of course, that puts them at an advantage since they can only be down but not out while other classes can die. Another reason why the Alliums should be able to attack your base.
The "upgrades" I'm speaking of are minor tinkerings done to each individual SHIV, and not standard. Sorta like how people will customize their sports cars.
That doesn't really remove the "machines can be improved in a blanket manner" problem. Though it is funny you would mention customization with rank, because orginally soldiers were going to customize their outfits as they increased in rank.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: January 03, 2013, 03:19:32 am »

First, how do you know they don't do AI research? There's obviously a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes; for instance, how the hell they managed to communicate with aliens which can't speak any Earthly language to such a degree that they can communicate complex ideas such as how their weapons work. And this is before any psychic research occurs. And while you have to research plasma weapons to use them, at no point do you have to figure out the proper tools and materials to build and maintain your own.

I agree that base attacks should be a thing, but I'm not sure how well it would fit into this incarnation. Maybe next time.

You can only upgrade machines in a blanket manner if you want them all performing the same function. Perhaps you want one SHIV to have extra-heavy armor for mobile cover at the expense of movement speed, while you want another one to emulate the Heavy's perk that increases suppression AoE and damage.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5225 on: January 03, 2013, 03:27:41 am »

I agree that base attacks should be a thing, but I'm not sure how well it would fit into this incarnation. Maybe next time.
It'd be pretty straightforward and at least somewhat sensible to just have the scenario simply occasionally result from allowing a Battleship to escape, just like in the original UFO Defence. Now, the consequences of failing to defend the base itself? Not sure about that. Perhaps just some damaged or destroyed facilities, but like I said, I'm not too terribly sure about that one. I mean, if you were overrun, thats pretty much it right? Bye-bye X-Com.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:30:19 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5226 on: January 03, 2013, 04:04:59 am »

It directly states that Shen has built an AI to help running the base, so the SHIVs being AI controlled is entirely believable. I'd be inclined to say that they had both however, AI controlled by default but able to be remote operated by a controller back at base if needed.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: January 04, 2013, 03:59:09 am »

Finally got Enemy Unknown today (Err... yesterday.) Was doing farely well on Regular Ironman, until I did a very difficult abduction mission.  First time facing Mutons, and both my assualts were killed.  My sniper was almost able to turn the tide of battle, and then my heavy weapons guy panicked.  And shot him.  After that the whole game just went downhill.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: January 04, 2013, 09:20:27 am »

I'm having trouble getting back into the game.  I'm at the point where I just shot down the overseer ship, and I just can't bring myself to do another UFO mission.  It's 90% boring moving around with no aliens, and 10% hectic fun. 

I'm playing classic ironman, so I have to be careful or I will just get wiped, but being careful ends up being boring.  I feel like the street missions were much more fun than these UFO missions, where the UFOs are so large, but the enemies are very spread out...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5229 on: January 04, 2013, 09:29:00 am »

Yea. In classic ironman, every single mistake leads to death.

My first game got to the point where every mission would result in a clean wipe of my soldiers, 4 or 5 soldiers down and every mission failed. Fresh recruits into the meat machine. It was terrible, and at that point I couldn't bring home weapons fragments or alien material to continue research. Titans armor may have made a difference, but I was still loosing everyone with carapace vs mutons.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: January 04, 2013, 09:53:02 am »

Why are you using carapace against mutons? I run rings around them in skeleton armor and the grapple give you a escape route as long as there's a building near by.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: January 04, 2013, 09:54:51 am »

Why are you using carapace against mutons? I run rings around them in skeleton armor and the grapple give you a escape route as long as there's a building near by.

I can not research skeleton armor. I have no materials left, and no soldiers capable of surviving a battle where i can acquire materials.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: January 04, 2013, 10:09:30 am »

How many UFO assaults did you fail to not have enough materials? I sold power sources and navigation when I need some quick cash. Hell, I died more to thin men then I did to mutons. You know how embarrassing to lose my titan armored troops to thin men?   

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: January 04, 2013, 10:28:35 am »

How many UFO assaults did you fail to not have enough materials? I sold power sources and navigation when I need some quick cash. Hell, I died more to thin men then I did to mutons. You know how embarrassing to lose my titan armored troops to thin men?   

I had a couple of 100% party losses that lost all my experienced soldiers. After that, I lost every mission because green recruits in carapace armor and laser rifles can not face 3 mutons at once.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: January 04, 2013, 12:59:38 pm »

It helps to make sure you've got at least 2 squads worth of decent soldiers, by sending 1 or 2 rookies/squaddies along to each mission early on, or when you get an easy council mission.  I lost my best sniper, best medic, and best assault on a single mission (teleporting sectopod makes me a sad panda).  But I was able to recover because I had backups.  Also, Shivs supposedly work well to fill in the gaps, although I've never used them, and it sounds like you may be up a creek since you've got no materials anymore.

I made sure to research titan armor pretty early.  I know other people don't like it too much, but it really helps survivability when you can soak up at least one critical hit.
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 625