Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959121 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5205 on: January 02, 2013, 11:57:34 am »

How well does this captire the feeling of the original?  Does the world still seem to end when a shot misses?

Missing a shot is bad, missing the last shot in a round when you have a soldier that isn't in cover is usually the death of that soldier, and since cover is both destructible and imperfect, ending a round with any active enemies capable of shooting back is scary, up till you have titan armor and can actually survive the occasional crit.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: January 02, 2013, 12:01:54 pm »

Or have a max level assault, who are thankfully immune to crits. Combine that with battle stims, and experience the joy of "stand here in the open soaking up fire while everyone else remains perfectly safe" ^_^

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: January 02, 2013, 12:07:47 pm »

Also, how well does Psi-Panic work? I'm iffy about it, mainly due to feeling that it will simply give the Aliens a free turn to shoot at me early.

In my experience, Panic usually makes enemies hunker down for several turns, effectively removing them from the fight. That was on Normal difficulty, though, and I wouldn't put it past the game to give them more attacks at higher levels. :P

How well does this captire the feeling of the original?  Does the world still seem to end when a shot misses?

There have been changes, but I think they're mostly good changes. The aliens seem to have the same vision range as your guys now, so you usually won't get sniped by enemies you can't even see, and explosives have been severely nerfed so you won't get your whole squad blown while they're still climbing out of the Skyranger.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: January 02, 2013, 12:44:36 pm »

Play on classic ironman for that "I'm DOOMED" feel. You only have 6 guys at maximum so each loss is huge.

I'm at the point where I have equal equipment with the enemy. Tactics and luck will decide the winner.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: January 02, 2013, 07:06:00 pm »

Also, how well does Psi-Panic work? I'm iffy about it, mainly due to feeling that it will simply give the Aliens a free turn to shoot at me early.

In my experience, Panic usually makes enemies hunker down for several turns, effectively removing them from the fight. That was on Normal difficulty, though, and I wouldn't put it past the game to give them more attacks at higher levels. :P
In my experience, Psi-Panic has gotten my people killed. That thing where the useless recruits suddenly gain godly skill during a panic attack and critical kill an allium? The alliums can do that too. Psi-Inspiration is pretty useless unless you know you're about to have a panic spiral or your entire squad is Gifted.
The aliens seem to have the same vision range as your guys now, so you usually won't get sniped by enemies you can't even see, and explosives have been severely nerfed so you won't get your whole squad blown while they're still climbing out of the Skyranger.
That said, you can get sniped by enemies you can't even see, it is just rare. In a way, that makes it all the more terrifying.

Explosives are....interesting now. Grenades are low-damage and are the only thing that goes exactly where you tell it to every time. On the flip side, Allium Grenades are high-damage and go exactly where they want them to every time, and unlike you they have extreme throwing range.

Rockets are where it gets interesting. They're always a 90% chance to hit. You'll likely make extensive use of them. But eventually It will happen. The one time you really, beyond all hope, need a rocket, you will miss terribly. When It happened to me, I was trying to kill some Chryssalids who were about to eviscerate my Colonel. Instead, Corporal McIdiot fired it right in my Colonel's face and killed her.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: January 02, 2013, 07:13:03 pm »

How the fuck can you miss with a rocket? I usually aim at the ground and hit as many as I can.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: January 02, 2013, 07:16:00 pm »

Because rockets have a 90% chance to hit where you aim. The vast majority of the time they will hit, but the other 10% of the time the rocket will spread and hit something else.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5212 on: January 02, 2013, 08:12:51 pm »

You know, reading the memorial wall before going on the final mission is kinda depressing. So many names, don't even remember how most of them died. Some cowered in a corner, others died like heroes, but all fell to the alien menace. Laser fire in the alien base, Plasma Rifles in the graveyard. Those moments are forgotten, lost now, like tear drops in the rain. A time for all things, time for the etheral leader to die.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: January 02, 2013, 08:13:50 pm »

Just found out about the 'Slingshot' Dlc. Wut. Just What.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: January 02, 2013, 09:49:22 pm »

Just found out about the 'Slingshot' Dlc. Wut. Just What.

I know, right?! I can't believe you haven't heard about it yet either.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: January 02, 2013, 10:53:29 pm »

Psi-Inspiration is good if you have another psychic equipped with psy armor and you feel the need to mind control an ethereal
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: January 02, 2013, 10:58:59 pm »

It's also good at regaining control of a panicked soldier - not that they get an immediate free attack! So they (often) get an attack for panicking, and THEN get a NORMAL attack or you can move them to somewhere safer, and are no longer panicked! What's not to love?

Plus it boosts your willpower, making inspired units more resistant to mind control.

AND you can use it as soon as it becomes available, meaning training it to the next psi-level is quick and risk free.

It's just hands down better than psi-panic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: January 02, 2013, 11:30:00 pm »

I tried to decide if Psyarmor of Ghost armor was better.

In the end I sort of leaned to Ghost armor.

Yeah Psyarmor was amazing, but the sheer number of times I carefully used Ghost armor and easily won sort of won out.

Since it is easier to get everyone in ghost armor. It is the only way to reasonably to fast games.

If Possession had a self-terminate ability it would have been a tougher decision.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: January 02, 2013, 11:52:11 pm »

Know what would be nice? If each class had it's own set of psi skills to choose from.

Like, a psi-sniper could mind-control an ally, allowing that ally to make a shot using the sniper's Aim stat.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: January 03, 2013, 12:24:23 am »

Too much, I think. Maybe one class-specific Psi skill, but not whole trees.

What I'd like is a skill tree for SHIVs. They aren't useful enough as they are.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 625