Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959290 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5085 on: December 17, 2012, 12:40:44 pm »

On impossible I do save scum, almost every mission. Otherwise i would have lost 12+ nations in the first 6 weeks of the campaign. As it is, I have barely half the nations left.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: December 17, 2012, 02:24:31 pm »

Why can't I sell my advance weapons?

Because you could do that in the original, and it was a horribly broken infinite money maker.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: December 17, 2012, 02:26:54 pm »

I know that but what am I suppose to do with all these plasma rifles? I can't even lose equipment from a total team wipe out.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: December 17, 2012, 02:43:33 pm »

I know that but what am I suppose to do with all these plasma rifles? I can't even lose equipment from a total team wipe out.

There's a second wave option that makes you lose all the equipment on dead troops, assuming it works of course.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: December 17, 2012, 02:47:40 pm »

At the very least I'd appreciate being able to break them down into weapon fragments...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: December 17, 2012, 02:59:11 pm »

At the very least I'd appreciate being able to break them down into weapon fragments...

Well, at least for plasma weapons. But it does seem a bit odd that you can't research Plasma Rifles because you don't have enough weapon fragments despite the Plasma Rifle sitting on the laboratory bench. I mean...wouldn't that be a decent alternative to weapon fragments?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: December 17, 2012, 03:15:58 pm »

Well, at least for plasma weapons. But it does seem a bit odd that you can't research Plasma Rifles because you don't have enough weapon fragments despite the Plasma Rifle sitting on the laboratory bench. I mean...wouldn't that be a decent alternative to weapon fragments?

But if they broke down the plasma rifle, they'd have no comparison for the replica they'd make out of its parts!

And he also said the increased health or lowered damage would be coupled to an increase in the number of shots fired - basically, reducing the effects of chance by spreading damage out over multiple instances. the actual %health damage would, I assume, not change, just how it was dealt.

Er yeah I'm not entirely sure I get what you mean. The shots per turn remains the same, I'm just increasing the TTK(time to kill) for both sides, so an average of four turns to get the same percent damage as you were normally.

Been trying it out the past few days, been interesting. It feels a little bit easier but maybe that's because I'm capable of focus fire and the AI is not. Lots more squad and enemy movements as expected given the longer duration of the fights. I was actually surprised at how the AI kept moving its troops around to respond to my movements, it was a delicate dance of death.  8)
Might reduce movement a little bit though, it was a tad much all over the place.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: December 17, 2012, 03:54:51 pm »

Oh. Yeah, that seems like a terrible idea. I thought you were just going to make every attack count as multiple shots instead. So, say, shooting the plasma rifle would fire three bullets each with (say) a 65% chance to hit, but the targets would have 3x as much health, so you'd reduce a lot of the randomness without changing a lot of the tactical elements.

Actually just making everyone tougher seems like it would turn things into a cakewalk to be honest, since the damage potential on x-com soldiers is so much higher.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: December 19, 2012, 04:16:43 pm »

What about double xcom health, and triple alien health?  I think that might make it more interesting, while not making it too much easier for you.  Still, you'd never lose a unit to a OHKO, which is really the only way I ever lose units.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: December 19, 2012, 04:21:35 pm »

Well, I finished this one. My main problem is the difficulty curve. I'm blowing through on Normal and dying horribly on Classic.

But regardless of difficulty: ALL IRONMAN, ALL THE TIME.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: December 19, 2012, 04:27:14 pm »

Oh. Yeah, that seems like a terrible idea. I thought you were just going to make every attack count as multiple shots instead. So, say, shooting the plasma rifle would fire three bullets each with (say) a 65% chance to hit, but the targets would have 3x as much health, so you'd reduce a lot of the randomness without changing a lot of the tactical elements.

Actually just making everyone tougher seems like it would turn things into a cakewalk to be honest, since the damage potential on x-com soldiers is so much higher.

I think that's the way to go. Heavy with 6 attacks (low aim, low damage), rifle with 3 attacks, shotgun with 1 or 2, pistol/sniper with 1 (but higher damage for sniper).
The only issue I see is that would totally ruin covers, as the first shot will destroy the cover.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: December 19, 2012, 04:34:56 pm »

You would only need to adjust the game so that cover isn't destroyed in a single shot.

Honestly It is still weird to see machine gun fire hit in such a straight line.

The Shock suppressors of the future are AMAZING!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5097 on: December 19, 2012, 04:37:25 pm »

I've also seen a single burst spread over nearly 180 degrees, so they are not not that good.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: December 19, 2012, 04:57:37 pm »

I've also seen a single burst spread over nearly 180 degrees, so they are not not that good.

Only on a miss because the soldier flails his arms when he misses.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: December 20, 2012, 01:40:38 pm »

Sorry for bumping this thread up again, and going on and on about this modding attempt, it's the last time I swear!

Anyway I've done a big overhaul and think I made something playable. Now all there is to do is actually try it out and see how it plays, and I wouldn't mind a bit of help in this if anyone is interested. :)
Just leave me a msg and I'll see about making it accessible for ya. May still be a bit rough around the edges since I haven't tried it extensively myself yet. Just expect the game to be a tad harder especially on the strategy side.
If there's interest I'll add a list of changes to this post, or in a readme wichever works.

I think that's the way to go. Heavy with 6 attacks (low aim, low damage), rifle with 3 attacks, shotgun with 1 or 2, pistol/sniper with 1 (but higher damage for sniper).
The only issue I see is that would totally ruin covers, as the first shot will destroy the cover.
Sadly I don't think this is possible with simple modding, would require a signifcant rewrite of the combat mechanics I think.

You would only need to adjust the game so that cover isn't destroyed in a single shot.
Yep taken care of, the cover destruction was a little silly even at the regular pace. No more sectoids destroying entire buildings with a plasma pistol.

It feels a little bit easier but maybe that's because I'm capable of focus fire and the AI is not.
Also I retract this statement, the AI is clearly capable of prioratizing low health targets.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:53:57 pm by Jelle »
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 625