Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959395 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4965 on: December 03, 2012, 03:24:37 pm »

With the Heavy's danger zone perk, Suppression can actually affect multiple adjacent targets. Ridiculously useful in certain situations.

Very true. And with the Colonel Sentinal ability of Supports an Overwatching Support with Reaction Fire can easily get off two shots per turn on Overwatch in many, many situations.

Like most lower level abilities, the Reaction Fire perk gets better as you get more perks that stack with it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: December 03, 2012, 04:46:32 pm »

I don't really know why anyone wouldn't take HEAT ammo, really.  Knocking out cybies and being able to put a major dent in sectopods seems far more useful than the off-chance for snagging a double reaction shot on the same target.  It's funny, I thought I'd actually be a huge fan of reaction boosts, but...  I dunno, it just kinda seems like they serve a completely different purpose nowadays.

Because usually by the time you get heat ammo upgrades there are no robots so you would have to know in advance that there would be dangerous robots.

As well Heavies have rather lousy aim. So you have a better chance to hit with a Heavy taking two shots around the corner... then actually trying to hit a robot.

It is actually why I tend to equip my Heavies with Scopes. To give them halfway decent aim.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: December 05, 2012, 09:53:44 am »

At the time, when I saw it, I said to myself "Hmm... overwatch misses an awful lot.  I haven't seen robots, but I gotta assume doing more damage to them will help".  I then picked HEAT ammo. 

To be honest, even if the perk always gave two reaction shots in overwatch, I would probably still pick the HEAT ammo.  Overwatch has an aim penalty, on top of a heavy's already bad aim.  I wish they would count some things as multiple shots, so heavies could just spray an area down with bullets, and hit a couple targets with a bullet or two, doing light AOE damage. 
Shotguns should get the same treatment.

That'd make them overall weaker, but more dependable at range, and still great when close up.

I equip all my guys with scopes, except my supports with medkits, and a shotgun assault with the arc thrower.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4968 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:11 am »

On impossible I still equip grenades on everyone but my sniper and assault. The ability to remove cover is an absolute necessity or you will miss all the time while the enemy puts a plasma shot through your eye socket from halfway across the map.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: December 05, 2012, 01:12:17 pm »

Heh, fair enough.  I'm only playing on normal ironman (it's my first playthrough, and my first X-COM)

It is getting kinda easy though...  I've been putting off the alien base and already have plasma, titan armor, and firebirds (or whatever the upgraded interceptor is called)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: December 06, 2012, 09:06:45 am »

Yeah, it was tough at first, when I had no idea what I was doing.  Then it got tough again at the first terror mission.  Then again when mutons first showed up.

After that, I got plasma, and it became easy mode.  I'm taking stupid risks and not paying for it...

I wonder if I should just quit this normal run and go right to classic.  The tension's gone now, the whole world is at 1 green bar, full satelites...

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: December 06, 2012, 10:05:01 am »

I never play anything below classic. Also I suck at this. I just lost all of Europe in the first month.

My best run is past three months before I ran out of money to replace soldiers. That's how much I suck at this.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: December 06, 2012, 01:28:36 pm »

So. New DLC out. Has anyone given it a shot? Thoughts?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4974 on: December 06, 2012, 02:42:16 pm »

Not enough in it for me to be paying £5.49. I'll probably pick it up when it gets a decent sale.

Note that there are some reports that it corrupts savegames made before you install it, so you may want to hold off if you are in the middle of a campaign.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: December 06, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »

On impossible I still equip grenades on everyone but my sniper and assault. The ability to remove cover is an absolute necessity or you will miss all the time while the enemy puts a plasma shot through your eye socket from halfway across the map.
I've found assault to be the most valuable place for grenades.  It gives them a bit more range than their shotguns, is their only way of hitting more than one target and destroying cover, and armor boosts and S.C.O.P.E.s are kind of redundant on them.  Once you get squad sight, snipers are never going to be in grenade range, by the end of the game heavies fart rockets, making grenades something of a downgrade, and supports tend to be the dedicated medkit user (although this is probably less important due to the increase in lethality on impossible) until they get deep pockets (at which point I always use it for a grenade).

I'd agree that grenades are probably the most important equip on all difficulty levels, followed by medkits and S.C.O.P.E.s.  The mind shield would be useful were it not for the fact that by the time you get it you're already fighting etherals, and it might as well be a tinfoil hat for all the good it does against them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: December 06, 2012, 03:26:05 pm »

So. New DLC out. Has anyone given it a shot? Thoughts?

I read it was poorly conceived. Basically, it's 3 missions set in China (with actual graphic assets) and a recruitable character who is just, by the numbers, superior to your regular troops.

The reasons it's poorly thoughout though is you will ALWAYS get these missions. It's not like they're added to a randomized pool of available events. Secondly the story makes no sense. Something about a guy who the mafia is after and then...he joins X-COM for some reason and the gangster angle is never resolved.

Other than that it includes some more crap to put on guys like sunglasses and bandanas and such.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: December 06, 2012, 03:32:55 pm »

From reading the forums it sounds like the 3 missions are fun, but it is a bit limiting since there are only 3. The extra guy being set is kinda lame, so a lot of people don't use him even if he does have better stats.

People do love the new customization stuff, though.

Whether or not it's worth it seems to be a matter of taste.

Personally, I'm holding off until the save game bug is fixed. I am *not* losing my current campaigns just to add some extra customizations and some more story missions that'll get boring after a few playthroughs.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: December 06, 2012, 03:57:15 pm »

I heard they also allow you to use the blaster bomb from the early game, but that could actually be a rumour.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: December 06, 2012, 04:09:52 pm »

I heard they also allow you to use the blaster bomb from the early game, but that could actually be a rumour.

I think it does let you get a blaster bomb, but not until the 3rd mission in the series. So while it's earlier than you would normally be able to get it is not super-early.

A response, I think, to the fact that many people finish the game without ever getting to research blaster bombs or fusion lances.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 625