Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959392 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4950 on: December 03, 2012, 06:41:01 am »

Stop trying so hard to make everyone think you are an idiot

Dang it I've been found out... I am actually the smartest person who has ever lived. I just didn't want to be noticed :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: December 03, 2012, 06:43:19 am »

HEAT ammo with it's +100% robotic damage maybe?

Yeah if there is any class that can make Sectopods a joke it would be a heavy you build JUST for that occasion.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: December 03, 2012, 08:52:10 am »

Good thing that wasn't a joke or else that article may even SLIGHTLY apply in the least.
Well ok... what Robosaur said was a joke. What I said was simply factual.

You clearly didn't read the item linked. Here's a summary for you: Stop trying so hard to make everyone think you are an idiot. No one cares about your facts unless they actually add something to the conversation. All it does is make you look incapable of regular social interaction. Stop being a buzzkill and generally terrible person. Stop ruining things for people.

I have to wonder who the buzzkill really is in that kind of situation...  The guy playing straight-man, or the one going "Oh my GOD you ASSHOLE.  It's a joke you underdeveloped cretin!  Now you've ruined everything!".

I don't really know why anyone wouldn't take HEAT ammo, really.  Knocking out cybies and being able to put a major dent in sectopods seems far more useful than the off-chance for snagging a double reaction shot on the same target.  It's funny, I thought I'd actually be a huge fan of reaction boosts, but...  I dunno, it just kinda seems like they serve a completely different purpose nowadays.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: December 03, 2012, 09:11:22 am »

The thing is, I think there's a king of more defensive build they want you to be able to play with. Smoke, TK shield, reaction shot bonuses across all classes, you could set yourself up for a decent long term firefight.

The problem is that the enemy never fucking advances. No matter what the mission is, I always need to attack THEM to get anything done - it's like they won't even try to attack me! And also smoke doesn't last nearly long enough for the limited charges you get. Except berserkers and occasionally a chrysalid.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4954 on: December 03, 2012, 09:17:12 am »

Whats the alternative to HEAT ammo? As in, what am I sacrificing in order to get it?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: December 03, 2012, 10:02:51 am »

Whats the alternative to HEAT ammo? As in, what am I sacrificing in order to get it?

2nd overwatch shot if first hits I think, not that great on heavies who already have low aim and will be lucky if first shot hits anyway plus eats up more ammo.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: December 03, 2012, 12:10:26 pm »

6 damage? I thought that even with plasma weaponry a heavy suppressing could only do 3 damage. Unless sectopods count as two targets for some reason.

People SUPPRESS sectopods? I just cloak a guy and run at it, letting my snipers take potshots until the thing dies. You can even do that in the final stages of the game, if you position your sniper right.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: December 03, 2012, 12:14:52 pm »

psh, final stage of the game I make sure the Volunteer is a heavy as HEAT Ammo works with Rift as well :D

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: December 03, 2012, 12:16:04 pm »

psh, final stage of the game I make sure the Volunteer is a heavy as HEAT Ammo works with Rift as well :D

Hahahaha, what?  That's brilliant.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: December 03, 2012, 12:54:37 pm »

2nd overwatch shot if first hits I think, not that great on heavies who already have low aim and will be lucky if first shot hits anyway plus eats up more ammo.

Actually, that reaction ability is better than people give it credit for.

It's not a second Reaction shot on the same target. It's a second reaction shot, period. So if the target moved again you could shoot them again, but it's much more likely that you'll end up shooting another alien.

I had a Heavy with it and a Scope, and she was AWESOME. Especially against Floaters trying to flank us and Thin Men dropping from the sky.

The thin men were the best. Dropping down with no cover...blam, blam. Two down from one Heavy. :)

That said, I think HEAT ammo is better if you only have one heavy in your group. But usually run with a High-damage/Explosives Heavy and a Support Heavy who gets Holo-targeting, Suppression, Rapid Reaction, stuff like that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: December 03, 2012, 01:46:26 pm »

Actually, that reaction ability is better than people give it credit for.

It's not a second Reaction shot on the same target. It's a second reaction shot, period. So if the target moved again you could shoot them again, but it's much more likely that you'll end up shooting another alien.

If they hit the first reaction shot is the big point though, heavies already have worst aim out of all classes, overwatch has an aim penalty so you have to be lucky to hit the first one anyway. Tbh raining thin men don't bother me as they usually drop out of cover anyway so get full of holes anyway. Much rather get HEAT for those pesky robots even with multiple heavies.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: December 03, 2012, 01:50:59 pm »

With a Scope I find heavies to be pretty good on reaction fire. Especially since the reaction penalty is often countered by the fact that you're shooting the alien when it's out of cover.

I'm not saying it's an awesome ability, I'm just saying that I've taken it and had that character save lives quite a few times. Like HEAT, it's situational. Heat ammo is useless against non-mechanical units and the second reaction shot is useless if you miss your first shot or if only one enemy triggers overwatch anyway.

I also play with the Not Created Equal Second Wave option, which means I'm more likely to take it these days than I was before. (Sq. Heavy with 80 aim? Hell yeah!). But even unmodded I liked to have a Heavy with it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: December 03, 2012, 02:15:27 pm »

What I still don't understand is the Support reaction fire ability. I've been struggling to figure out a circumstance where it is ever a good idea.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: December 03, 2012, 02:55:24 pm »

What I still don't understand is the Support reaction fire ability. I've been struggling to figure out a circumstance where it is ever a good idea.

Simple: It lets you use Overwatch to both Pin and Enemy down and still got a shot off.

On Classic/Impossible I find that using Overwatch to keep enemies pinned in one spot is really handy. Especially mobile ones who like to try to move and flank. Overwatch stops that, but often this means that you're sacrificing a shot to do so. The Reaction Fire ability means that the support can both Pin and still get a shot off if the alien stays where they are and fires.

It's not great, by any means, but it is pretty handy and I've had a few reaction specced Supports use this to decent effect. Especially the one I gave a LPR and a Scope. Pretty good odds of hitting, even if the enemy is in full cover.

Suppression is better for this, of course, but that's a higher level skill and takes a lot more ammo. Plus, one Overwatch can pin multiple enemies while Suppression only stops a single enemy.
Come play Mafia with us!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: December 03, 2012, 03:17:49 pm »

With the Heavy's danger zone perk, Suppression can actually affect multiple adjacent targets. Ridiculously useful in certain situations.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 625