Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959429 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4905 on: November 25, 2012, 06:39:04 pm »

Would anyone like to play multiplayer? My steam name is the same as my forum name - GlyphGryph.

And I still can't get quick matches or ranked matches to work.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: November 30, 2012, 01:43:39 am »

I just had the oddest thing happen.

This is a Classic Ironman run, and I'm post Alien Base. Been shooting down alien battleships headed to terror missions and fighting off Heavy Floaters, Elite Mutons, and Sectopods. We have mostly plasma weapons and I have Titan armor. No Archangel or Ghost yet, but I can research them.

But...I just finished a council mission to secure some assets. Said assets were being held by 12 sectiods. That's it, just sectoids. I spent the entire mission in dire anticipation of some horrible event about to spring from the fog as I moved forward. In the end, it was just a nice chunk of experience for my rather underleveled squad. Nice, since I've had several full team wipes this play-though. But bizarre. I've never had a Council mission that didn't at least involve a few Thin men.

Anyone else encounter this?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: November 30, 2012, 07:54:39 am »

Council missions are often full of underlevelled enemies, the assets ones are usually the easiest. Helpful, because I hadn't stunned one on my classic ironman and they had stopped appearing.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: November 30, 2012, 08:56:46 am »

I've never seen that.  It's always pure thin men after a while for me.  I had one bomb defuse mission with almost 30 thin men over its course.  That was insane.
Shoes...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: November 30, 2012, 09:06:31 am »

Bomb missions are always thin men.

Rescue missions are likely thin men with occassional sectoids.

Asset retrieval is almost always sectoids, I think.

Also, I've been completed dominating in online. Yet to lose a match yet, actually. Sectoids are awesome. As is my titan-armor wearing max-assault with battle stims.

There's something beautiful about having two equally max level assaults charge you, have both of them unload their alloy cannons into you at point blank range for 4 shots total, and SURVIVING it, and then taking both of them out on your next turn. It's beautiful to see a "5" pop over your head for damage in that situation, and a "19" pop over the enemies, heheh.

That assault build has pretty much been carrying my entire game in campaign mode, too. I really don't see why I'd ever need more than 3 guys for a mission. (Archangel Sniper, Ghost Support, Titan Assault)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: November 30, 2012, 11:59:44 pm »

Does anyone know a quick way to find enemies with Plasma Pistols?

I mean, I've gotten every other plasma-tier weapon out there, I'm just missing Plasma Pistols for some bizarre reason. And I'd like to get Plasma Pistols for my Gunslinger snipers.

I'm currently right before assaulting the Alien Base.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:03:16 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: December 01, 2012, 12:06:45 am »

Does anyone know a quick way to find enemies with Plasma Pistols?

I mean, I've gotten every other plasma-tier weapon out there, I'm just missing Plasma Pistols for some bizarre reason. And I'd like to get Plasma Pistols for my Gunslinger snipers.

I'm currently right before assaulting the Alien Base.

Hope that to get lucky and fight some Sectoids for a council mission. as far as I know, they're the only enemies with Plasma Pistols. Thinmen and up all use plasma rifles of different. types.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: December 01, 2012, 12:08:38 am »

Yeah, you're probably better off just researching it and building your own.

The Sectoid Commanders will have plasma pistols, so you'll get one after the base assault if nothing else.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: December 01, 2012, 12:39:42 am »

Yeah, you're probably better off just researching it and building your own.
Can't research them or build them if I don't have them to begin with. So says the game.

The Sectoid Commanders will have plasma pistols, so you'll get one after the base assault if nothing else.
Oh thank god. Well, that assumes I take it alive.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: December 01, 2012, 01:13:21 am »

Oh thank god. Well, that assumes I take it alive.

You'll also find a Sectoid Commander on every downed UFO after the base assault, since they replace Outsiders as the ship commanders. This continues up to [REDACTED], so you'll have plenty of opportunities to capture one.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: December 01, 2012, 01:59:22 am »

I know, I finished the game before. I'm just commenting on that single one.

Speaking of that single one, I managed to nab him without him even making one offensive action despite him having 1 turn to act before I zapped him. I have no idea why, but I'm not complaining.

Now I have plasma pistols after so long. Yay.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4916 on: December 01, 2012, 03:35:06 am »

Damn. Impossible really is impossible.

At every turn I am out numbered, outgunned and outleveled. I've already lost china and nigeria and my tech consists of medkits, an arc thrower and mesh. All i have built is a officer training school and a power generator.  I consider it an epic victory if I have half my team left standing at the end of a mission.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: December 01, 2012, 07:26:54 am »

The only problem here is that the game is rated M, and I'm only 12
(DON"T JUDGE ME!) :-[
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: December 01, 2012, 08:34:27 am »

Nadaka, I feel that. I gave it a try and got through the base assault mission, barely, but I just couldn't stay on top of the panic situation. It increases so much faster...

So, yeah, basically everything I've heard is that Impossible is "inevitable loss", so the goal is to push that loss out as far as possible and achieve victory before it happens. In Classic, once you get to a certain point your good, you're in control, but that doesn't really happen so much in Ironman...

But  don't know, I've never gotten that far. :P

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: December 01, 2012, 12:21:56 pm »

The only problem here is that the game is rated M, and I'm only 12
(DON"T JUDGE ME!) :-[
Honestly, I consider age ratings nonsense. I played Halo when I was about... 10 to 12. And Halo is far more violent than XCOM.

Did I grow up to be an unstable monster? ...Not really.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 625