Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959470 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4845 on: November 21, 2012, 12:23:55 am »

In an open area, you can spread your troops around so that you can force the berserker to run around in circles. You can also, with ghost or archangel armor, get your troops to places that the berserkers cannot access in a single turn (if at all).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: November 21, 2012, 01:10:49 am »

I'm not sure what the benefit of "run in circles" is. Okay, so you hit him, he runs around in circles...

And then it's his turn, he runs directly FOR one of your guys instead of around in circles, and then that guy dies.

Although, yes, once you've got "I win"-class armor, they aren't a huge threat (Though one did still get the drop on me, it's not enough to kill someone at that point anyway). But most of the game you don't have that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: November 21, 2012, 01:28:42 am »

"Run in circles" was a poor choice of phrase. What I meant is that my standard method of dealing with them is to shoot them so that they get progressively closer to the next soldier in line, thus improving to-hit odds. I also like to throw in an Assault with the close quarters perk so that he takes an automatic shot.

• Soldier B shoots the Berserker, which moves towards Soldier B. Along the way, it passes by Soldier A, who takes an automatic (and possibly critical) shot to damage it again.
  • Berserker is now in easy shooting range of Soldier C, who causes more damage. Berserker moves toward Soldier C.
  • Berserker is now in easy shooting range of Soldier D.
  • Repeat until it dies.

Honestly, Berserkers have very exploitable AI. It's not uncommon for me to kill them in less than a single turn.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: November 21, 2012, 02:04:34 am »

As with all other Xcom enemies, they're all kinda crappy by themselves.

Let me tell you a story of how I lost all my best soldiers in a routine UFO mission.

We spawn, creep forward. Run into a group of Muton Elites. Move foward a little bit to get in range of a grenade. Activate a second Muton Elite group. Okay... not the best situation. Hunker down for one turn, dodge crap, run backwards. As my soldiers retreat, somehow we activate a roaming third Muton group. Of Berserkers.

=|

It did not end well.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: November 21, 2012, 10:41:09 am »

Honestly, Berserkers have very exploitable AI. It's not uncommon for me to kill them in less than a single turn.
Just a question - what difficulty do you play on?

As with all other Xcom enemies, they're all kinda crappy by themselves.
Berserkers never come by themselves. ;)

I once had a berserker group and two cyberdiscs spawn on the same turn. I don't know how I didn't get a team wipe. I took out the berserker, but it took ever one of their turns and left a couple very exposed - but for some reason a cyberdisc and the mutons just decided to skip their turn.

Had my best units in that fight, so collective sigh of relief.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:42:59 am by GlyphGryph »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: November 21, 2012, 11:27:21 am »

I did Classic Ironman and I haven't had a single soldier been killed by a berserker or chyrsalid. I think I only got hit by a berserker maybe once or twice, chyrsalid maybe thrice.

I have lost more men and hitpoints from exploding cars.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: November 21, 2012, 11:48:07 am »

Classic difficulty. However, I always have laser weapons and, if I'm lucky, a couple of plasma weapons by the time I see them. It's amazing what a decent sniper with a laser rifle and Headshot can do.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: November 21, 2012, 12:05:36 pm »

I usually find that a Heavy with Bullet Swarm takes them out pretty quick if they get close. Although I have lost a few people to them in the past. Usually because someone decided to miss a crucial shot...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: November 22, 2012, 04:55:37 am »

I'm attempting a run on classic ironman in which I won't expand my satellite capacity at all.  So I've only built one satellite total, which I dropped on the USA for income.  The base is in SA, for the research boost.

We just conquered the alien base, and we have laser rifles and skeleton armor for everyone (but not much else).  Three countries have defected, Germany is at three panic but everywhere else is at 1-2.  Xcom has 9 scientists, and 18 engineers.  All I really need to beat the game is an abduction reward of 4 engineers, that plus 2 workshops will bring the total up to 30, which is all what's required for a certain mandatory piece of gear.  The troops are in really good shape, although half the vets have been critically wounded at some point so I'm a bit concerned about our will and, ah, that spoiler you need will for.  There was a close call early on when all but 4 soldiers (counting the rookies!) ended up in the hospital, but we  survived that and have only had 5 deaths total, mainly rookies on arc thrower duty.

I'm cautiously optimistic.  My main fear is the possibility of fighting multiple sectopods while poorly equipped, as we don't have the time to research anything but the bare essentials.  Thankfully we captured a muton in the base assault, and we've stolen some light plasma rifles, so in about half a month of research we should have some crappy plasma gear.  I'm going to count this as a win even if I have to restart the last mission, so the main difficulty should be getting to that point with a decent squad.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4854 on: November 22, 2012, 06:26:54 am »

Holy cow, that sounds hard. Keep us updated! What enemies have you come up against so far?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: November 22, 2012, 12:25:18 pm »

Noticed something hilarious last night. I had an Alloy Shiv out scouting for enemies and triggered some mutons + berzerker. During their 'run for cover' segment one of them took cover BEHIND THE SHIV!

Naturally, the SHIV missed it's 95% shot to hit. Which...kinda makes sense, actually. Not that I should have kept it there, of course, but it was too funny an opportunity to pass up.

Also, Hover SHIVs are pretty damn awesome. Especially since you can get them before you can get Archangel Armor.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: November 22, 2012, 12:57:25 pm »

Well, of course the shot missed.  He was in cover.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: November 22, 2012, 03:18:33 pm »

Holy cow, that sounds hard. Keep us updated! What enemies have you come up against so far?

Update: I just aborted a terror mission.  In Asia, so China left and there's a total of 6 panic gain not counting them.  Yeah.

Basically, my three best soldiers were in the original round of psi testing, and those that remained were mostly using conventional weapons (because I only upgraded rifles, and the squad was mostly heavies and snipers).  This... made less a of a difference than you might expect.

First turn, the sniper grapples onto the roof of a nearby building, then throws a motion sensor.  While throwing the sensor, he takes a step forward... putting him in the sight line of a group of Cryssalids, one of which leaps onto the roof next to him.  Our Heavy Major fires two rounds of bullet swarm, missing each, so we rocket it and grapple an assault onto the roof to plasma its face.  By the end of next turn, two more cryssalids groups have been revealed.  We do a fairly mediocre job fighting them, and then all hell breaks lose.

Two cryssalids charge the squad, severely wounding one of our assaults on the roof and killing a squaddie one the ground.  That squaddie was the one who made a giant hole in the building we're on top of with a rocket.  Out of that hole emerges six more cryssalids (!!!).  Then three more reveal themselves in the distance, and two more rush forward to get into stabbing position.  So our situation: the sniper can see seven enemies, and there are probably at least five cryssalids we can't see.  Our bullet swarm heavy is facing down two weakened cryssalids, but is out of ammo.  Our assault on the roof has 1 health left and is directly next to 2 cryssalids, which he probably won't be able to see if he gets off the roof.  The squad isn't our best, but it contains three very valuable soldiers (including our only squad sight sniper!).  I decided to make the hard choice and leave the civilians to their fate.  This is probably the first time I've felt a nation was justified leaving the council.

I'm pretty proud that I got out of that with nothing but a squaddie lost.  This was actually really fun, though I might be screwed at this point.  I now face the sadistic choice of getting the engineers I need to beat the game (I don't gain any engineers monthly, so I need exactly one abduction reward of them) or not rescuing India from abductions and losing another nation.  Any ideas?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: November 22, 2012, 03:27:06 pm »

Build a workshop?
Come play Mafia with us!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: November 22, 2012, 03:33:43 pm »

Build a workshop?

The requirements for workshops go up every time.  I'm at 23 now, and to unlock the final mission I need 30.  But to build another workshop I need 25, so I need 2 more from somewhere.

I'm probably going to go for India though, just because I don't need engineers in the short term.

Edit: and then I got 5 engineers in exchange for 2 scopes.  Egypt is going to leave soon and I'm building a firestorm, this is going to come down to the wire.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:06:40 pm by EnigmaticHat »
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 625