Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959500 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4800 on: November 15, 2012, 02:08:35 pm »

I think Rift is a different attack, that hits over several turns, and whatever the Eths do only blows up once?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: November 15, 2012, 02:53:35 pm »

But the dumbed-down inventory system (and lack of real statbuilding) means that the old deal with MCing a muton, forcing it to strip and take a laser pistol, then surrounding it with your power/flying armored troops equipped with normal pistols is no longer either possible or necessary. I swear, half the fun of it was finding all the absurd ways that you could game the system, and realizing that you practically need to do them if you want to survive Cydonia.

Also missed: Grenade relays. Or in the endgame, Hi-Ex relays.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: November 15, 2012, 03:54:26 pm »

Also missed: Grenade relays. Or in the endgame, Hi-Ex relays.

Also also: Heavy weapon gunner teams.  Give someone a big, heavy gun like an autocannon or rocket launcher (or in TFTD, the much-used Gas cannon) and have some particularly worthless scrub carry the extra reloads.

Worked for me a few times during the early stages.  Although the "particularly worthless scrub" wound up being my most prized asset thanks to his throwing ability.  He'd toss ammo to anyone nearby, while also annihilating the enemy with perfectly-placed grenades and explosive packs.

Speaking of which, I do miss dedicated grenadier troopers as well...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: November 15, 2012, 04:37:30 pm »

But the dumbed-down inventory system (and lack of real statbuilding) means that the old deal with MCing a muton, forcing it to strip and take a laser pistol, then surrounding it with your power/flying armored troops equipped with normal pistols is no longer either possible or necessary. I swear, half the fun of it was finding all the absurd ways that you could game the system, and realizing that you practically need to do them if you want to survive Cydonia.

Accessing enemy inventories was a bug anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: November 15, 2012, 04:48:15 pm »

Accessing enemy inventories was a bug anyway.

Doesn't mean it wasn't both useful and amusing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: November 17, 2012, 03:13:17 pm »

OMG, this IS a game design masterpiece. Seriously, all tedium is gone, and all edges curved out perfectly. I have no idea about story/detalization flaws, but tactical combat done perfectly, no doubt.

To many things to say, but wait... I better to continue to play, sorry.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: November 17, 2012, 03:47:30 pm »

After hearing all good things about the game, I decided to download it. With very little foreknowledge about Enemy Unknown or any previous XCom games, I was pleasantly surprised at the complexity of the game (compared to other similar games). I loved that it wasn't totally linear and gave you the power to decide what to do. I like equipping my troops with weapons I'd researched, and I loved the graphics. The story was interesting too, and the little tidbits here and there about the aliens was fun to learn.

However, character development felt a little rigid. Soldiers were given a class at recruitment and had very little choice of customization. One of two skills each level is a bit disappointing.

There were also a few minor bugs that encountered, such as the build/buy menu vanishing into thin air and weapons firing in the wrong direction (which didn't affect the game at all and was just a graphical bug or something).

In my opinion, this is a definite buy. Many hours of fun to be had here.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: November 17, 2012, 03:52:42 pm »

Say, did they ever fix the invisible SHIV bug?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: November 17, 2012, 04:00:43 pm »

What invisible SHIV bug?  I don't see any invisible SHIV bug.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4809 on: November 17, 2012, 04:01:46 pm »

Yes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: November 17, 2012, 04:32:51 pm »

OMG, this IS a game design masterpiece. Seriously, all tedium is gone, and all edges curved out perfectly. I have no idea about story/detalization flaws, but tactical combat done perfectly, no doubt.

Is this a joke? The game still has quite a few rough edges.

You will notice enemies doing impossible shots, a few missing details and equipment, and glitches galor.

It isn't so bad... but "Design masterpeices with no rough edges" is sort of pushing it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4811 on: November 17, 2012, 04:42:11 pm »

You will notice enemies doing impossible shots, a few missing details and equipment, and glitches galor.

It isn't so bad... but "Design masterpeices with no rough edges" is sort of pushing it.
Neo can't stand someone as positive as he is negative.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: November 17, 2012, 04:43:07 pm »

Neo can't stand someone as positive as he is negative.

Actually in this case he is being much more possitive then I am negative.

So in your face Forsaken!!!!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: November 17, 2012, 05:13:43 pm »

No, pretty sure he's as positive as you are negative.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: November 17, 2012, 05:18:21 pm »

Yeah. Exactly positive as negative.

Though I will say I do agree with the no tedium part. Old X-com often got too damn clunky for it's own good in the extreme. And I say this as someone who honestly enjoyed Terror from the deep non ironically.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 625