Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959608 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4695 on: October 30, 2012, 03:15:32 pm »

Fixing bugs isn't really that simple usually. Because to fix the bug, they have to know what made it happen. And even if they know what it happen, they have to know what to fix to make it NOT happen.

It's never quite as simple as people think, unfortunately.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: October 30, 2012, 03:16:02 pm »

Some of those bugs shouldn't have been there in the first place. Especially the abductor mission roof bug.

A big firm like 2K though should have enough resources for testing. Still this seems to be more common in AAA developers releasing buggy games.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: October 30, 2012, 03:19:33 pm »

Some of those bugs shouldn't have been there in the first place. Especially the abductor mission roof bug.

A big firm like 2K though should have enough resources for testing. Still this seems to be more common in AAA developers releasing buggy games.
Except that some bugs only seem to occur on specific systems or for a tiny minority of people. The game might have worked perfectly on Firaxis' own computers and in-house testing equipment.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: October 30, 2012, 03:21:49 pm »

I don't know of a single person on PC (dunno if its the same for xbox) who didnt have the abductor roof bug

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: October 30, 2012, 03:23:40 pm »

I don't know of a single person on PC (dunno if its the same for xbox) who didnt have the abductor roof bug
Never had it. Never even heard of it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: October 30, 2012, 03:24:46 pm »

Yeah, that one seems to be pretty pervasive. So maybe it was just really hard to fix and they felt they had to ship even with that bug in since it was merely annoying and not game-breaking.

@Sirus: The camera always jumps to the top of the UFO when inside an abductor. It's annoying.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: October 30, 2012, 03:29:38 pm »

Yeah, that one seems to be pretty pervasive. So maybe it was just really hard to fix and they felt they had to ship even with that bug in since it was merely annoying and not game-breaking.

@Sirus: The camera always jumps to the top of the UFO when inside an abductor. It's annoying.

Specifically if your soldier is on the second floor of the UFO (up the ramps) it will show you the roof of the abductor with your guys in wireframes and unable to see where you are moving unless you go down a floor, and when going down a floor the game will always try and move your guy to the ground floor if its possible (i.e ground floor by walkway when you are selecting walkway) so you have to angle the camera around.

Of course a bit of research into that and it might have actually been a problem from an early patch, still a problem in not testing patch but more understandable if that is the issue.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: October 30, 2012, 03:33:23 pm »

Fixing bugs isn't really that simple usually. Because to fix the bug, they have to know what made it happen. And even if they know what it happen, they have to know what to fix to make it NOT happen.

it is. and when it isn't, well, you probably have bigger issue at hand. like not understanding how the stuff you made works.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: October 30, 2012, 03:36:13 pm »

Fixing bugs isn't really that simple usually.

it is.

Oh, the laughs. So many, many laughs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: October 30, 2012, 03:37:44 pm »

it is. and when it isn't, well, you probably have bigger issue at hand. like not understanding how the stuff you made works.
You don't really have any idea how many people work on how many lines of code for a AAA title like this, do you? A single typo somewhere can cause all sorts of unintended consequences. Different computers might parse code differently, compounding the issue.

@ Meph: Ah, okay. Yeah, I have had that problem, but it was just a minor annoyance. I figured it was a worse problem from the name.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: October 30, 2012, 03:42:09 pm »

Meh. I worked on projects with millions of LOC, and never I did lost track of which did what.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: October 30, 2012, 03:47:56 pm »

Meh. I worked on projects with millions of LOC, and never I did lost track of which did what.

There... aren't many projects that require millions of lines of code. Games are one of the few. At the very least, such a project would be incredibly notable. Care to share the name of one of them?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: October 30, 2012, 03:49:38 pm »

Then you, sir, work with people much better about documenting and variable names than I ever have. Especially if you're dealing with 3rd party libraries. Or game engine, as is the case here.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: October 30, 2012, 04:18:09 pm »

Veru soon we wont be able to call them AAA game studio or whatever because more it goes more the quality goes down the drain... im about to call them farmer's company, yeah farmer's company just interested in farming up names....

Im just pissed-tired of these company who shove down half-finished game down our troat and dont even care to tell us its in poor condition, now my frenchness is getting in my way, witha  little bit of raging, tireness, wich end up making me write rant post... I think ill just have to stay away for a while to avoid posting horrible things....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: October 30, 2012, 07:39:40 pm »

Unless you name the project, i'm calling bullshit.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 625