Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959670 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4650 on: October 29, 2012, 09:26:27 am »

I use rockets a lot.  Like, all the time.

Also, I'm in a really shitty base layout, like I don't know how I'm going to win this, and if I don't get the panic reduction right now I don't think I can win the game.

I'm almost through.  There's a chokepoint just before the area with the final enemies and the sectoid commander in back.  (spoilers by the way).  There's a group of Mutons and a Cyberdisk on the other side.

There is zero fucking cover.  The area before the chokepoint is a huge open space, with like five sets of canisters as the only cover, and I blew them all up.  What am I gonna do?!
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: October 29, 2012, 10:23:03 am »

There's no bugs.  Yes, everybody has stories of missing two 85s in a row, but nobody talks to you about the dozens and dozens of 85s that hit just fine.

I think one thing that can count as a bug is when you're on the same axis as a target standing against a wall, and count as "in cover" even though the target is definitely not in cover.  How many times have you tried to flank a Sectoid and seen this happen:

Code: [Select]
   W
  sWWW

xWWW
   W

Where you can pretty much pick either one as which, and they count as covered and so even at two steps away with no visible obstructions have like a 57% chance to hit.  Obviously that's a bug you can see in action though, but it's still fucked up.
Yeah, that aspect is pretty annoying.

I learned to give the game a large amount of "flanking correction". So I don't try to flank from the sides, but rather from a 110 degree angle from the alien's rear. Seems to work perfectly.

Of course, flanking itself is pretty hard on impossible heh. Too many aliens.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: October 29, 2012, 10:55:14 am »

Also, I'm in a really shitty base layout, like I don't know how I'm going to win this, and if I don't get the panic reduction right now I don't think I can win the game.

I'm almost through.  There's a chokepoint just before the area with the final enemies and the sectoid commander in back.  (spoilers by the way).  There's a group of Mutons and a Cyberdisk on the other side.

There is zero fucking cover.  The area before the chokepoint is a huge open space, with like five sets of canisters as the only cover, and I blew them all up.  What am I gonna do?!

I seem to be lucky with rocket misses, apart from one which did nothing the other ones even going wide still hit some aliens, not done any friendly fire though. What annoys me though is when a guy gets mindcontrolled then gets a penalty in the mission when you kill his "former allies" which sticks for the mission.

Anyway all you can do is cheese it! Dash someone expendable or with high health to any cover or move all your guys out of cover into the firing line and hope you take them all out in your turn and pray for them to critically miss on their turn.

Depending on if you bought the high rank high chance to get crit wound instead of killed from OTS then maybe sacrifice your Colonel or w/e but be wary that the will reduction can hurt later on the game.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: October 29, 2012, 11:18:14 am »

If you have a squad sight sniper on hand, send one guy forward (do not dash!), take a shot with the sniper and run back again with your scout. The aliens will either attack you across open ground with no cover (moderate win!) or stand their ground. If they stand their ground, just repeat the procedure of sending out one guy until they do attack you or they are all dead (flawless win!).

If you do not have a squad sight sniper, I suppose you could try waiting them out, sacrificing one guy to bait them or just bum rush them with the entire squad and hope you do enough damage.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: October 29, 2012, 11:25:50 am »

If you have a squad sight sniper on hand, send one guy forward (do not dash!), take a shot with the sniper and run back again with your scout. The aliens will either attack you across open ground with no cover (moderate win!) or stand their ground. If they stand their ground, just repeat the procedure of sending out one guy until they do attack you or they are all dead (flawless win!).

If you do not have a squad sight sniper, I suppose you could try waiting them out, sacrificing one guy to bait them or just bum rush them with the entire squad and hope you do enough damage.
One problem with this is the second turn you send a guy out suddenly, 'overwatch attack x5'.  Hope you have a few expendible rookies or someone who can fly.
Nom nom nom

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4655 on: October 29, 2012, 11:34:17 am »

I call that layout number 2. There seems to be two of them, one with a pair of those open spaces with five canisters each and one with a long corridor with a dozen or so canisters. Overall I find layout 2 far more difficult, but the commander room is much easier (a sniper can easily one-shot the sectoid commander). However in all rest the layout 2 favors the enemy. I once had a fucking sectopod spawn on the raised balcony right after the abductee holding tanks. The pain.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: October 29, 2012, 11:39:35 am »

The first time in the middle of clearing out the mutons in the open space, another muton and a berserker jumped out from under the ramp and ended up right in the middle of my team.  Thankfully my turn had just started.
Shoes...

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: October 29, 2012, 11:45:17 am »

WTF, two sectopods on overseer ship, or correction 2 so far as crew listing is Ethereal, Muton Elite, Sectopod (Drone). Yet to see mutons but a crew of 18 of which 2 is going to be ethereal and muton elite bodyguard so potentially maybe 3 more Sectopod squads.... luckily I have two heavies, both with HEAT Ammo and one with Bulletswarm and Plasma Guns so can two shot them, but still freaking scary.

Didn't bother bringing Arc Thrower to try and cap Ethereal although this is the easiest ship to do it on but I only have the two Fusion techs left unresearched so don't really need the "research credit" for it.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: October 29, 2012, 12:11:08 pm »

"after... of missing one" Meaning that after you've 13 shots, there will be a 50% chance of a miss in that "set". I'm not really seeing how you're getting "next shot" from that. :P

Yeah, sorry, I meant 'one of the shots', not 'the next shot'. (0.95)13 ~= 0.513, and I rounded off the hundreds place to account for 2+ misses.  ;)

WTF, two sectopods on overseer ship, or correction 2 so far as crew listing is Ethereal, Muton Elite, Sectopod (Drone). Yet to see mutons but a crew of 18 of which 2 is going to be ethereal and muton elite bodyguard so potentially maybe 3 more Sectopod squads.... luckily I have two heavies, both with HEAT Ammo and one with Bulletswarm and Plasma Guns so can two shot them, but still freaking scary.

Didn't bother bringing Arc Thrower to try and cap Ethereal although this is the easiest ship to do it on but I only have the two Fusion techs left unresearched so don't really need the "research credit" for it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: October 29, 2012, 12:15:20 pm »

I'm wondering now if this carries on throughout so on the final mission the sectopod room is filled with like 10 sectopods...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: October 29, 2012, 12:43:45 pm »

Re: Rockets

I personally would prefer if the rockets (and grenades) were a little less accurate over a longer range. Unless it's guided, a rocket won't be perfectly accurate. Also, something rocket propelled should be able to travel farther than I can throw something. Furthermore, I can throw a grenade almost 175 feet before it hits the ground (my army buddy and I were playing with a dummy on a football field a few years ago. I got the grenade from the goal line to just past the 45 on the opposite side of the field. A full grenade weighs about as much as a football, but is a little bigger than a baseball, so it's a lot easier to throw.) It'll be about as accurate as me throwing a baseball 300 feet, which is about a 5 foot spread either way. I'm not a major leaguer, or really in any kind of shape at all, and even I can do it. Granted, I have a little athleticism, but these guys are soldiers, for fuck's sake. The throwing arms on these soldiers and the ranges on their rockets are pathetic. 

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4661 on: October 29, 2012, 12:52:52 pm »

I'm wondering now if this carries on throughout so on the final mission the sectopod room is filled with like 10 sectopods...

Pretty sure it doesn't. I had the exact same number and type of enemies on the final mission on the three runs I've finished, normal, classic finished as soon as possible and a dragged out classic.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: October 29, 2012, 01:00:13 pm »

So, my brother raises an interesting point:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: October 29, 2012, 01:24:37 pm »

Wait, canon say that post ethereal is tentacle monster time

I can't wait the new fully hd japan terror missions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: October 29, 2012, 01:27:12 pm »

Wait, canon say that post ethereal is tentacle monster time

I can't wait the new fully hd japan terror missions.

Sorta. They may not bring it in that dirrection, especially since a few of the aliens have been deligated to "Completely superfluous" compared to their original counterpart.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 625