Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959733 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4575 on: October 27, 2012, 06:11:00 pm »

Someone should play a quick game on easy and write up a research tree, if someone hasn't done one already.

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Research_(EU2012) pretty much covers it.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: October 27, 2012, 06:20:07 pm »

I've found We Have Ways is good as either your starting bonus or picking it up with your first two sattelites. If it is your start, you can have lasers and carapace armour ready to go for your first terror mission if you capture your first sectoid and floater as soon as possible. It also makes it easier to shoot down your first few ufo's by getting the aim boost from the sectoid autopsy.

If you don't get it very early it becomes fairly useless as later on you have enough scientists that pretty much all research times drop to low levels.

Even if you have the times down to "low", you can't beat instant. You still save days. But yeah, the bonus is ideal to get as quickly as possible I feel. You can use it to get some good time savings.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: October 27, 2012, 06:24:49 pm »

Does anyone have / know of a particularly good Let's Play of this?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to actually play at the moment, but I can always put it on my second monitor and watch it in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgTDRanlHY&feature=relmfu

Shameless attempt to promote my let's play ( dont bash please :( )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgHnI1hJLj4

Its a french let's play tho.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: October 27, 2012, 06:52:01 pm »

I played multiplayer with a fast moving assault setup.  I end up with three soldiers and a few points left.  At first I want to give both my top assaults small upgrades, but then decide to just get one chitin plating.

First game:  The assault with the chitin plating rushes past a sniper, dodges her reaction fire... then gets a face full of alloy cannon.  Which he survives.  With three health left.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4579 on: October 27, 2012, 06:58:21 pm »

Never be afraid to shamelessly plug something, Jocan.

Mien YouTuber channelschliecen, with the LP on the page there. And yes it's in english, i just butchered german back there for the hell of it.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4580 on: October 27, 2012, 07:39:30 pm »

I've found We Have Ways is good as either your starting bonus or picking it up with your first two sattelites. If it is your start, you can have lasers and carapace armour ready to go for your first terror mission if you capture your first sectoid and floater as soon as possible. It also makes it easier to shoot down your first few ufo's by getting the aim boost from the sectoid autopsy.

If you don't get it very early it becomes fairly useless as later on you have enough scientists that pretty much all research times drop to low levels.

Even if you have the times down to "low", you can't beat instant. You still save days. But yeah, the bonus is ideal to get as quickly as possible I feel. You can use it to get some good time savings.

Yes. Just did some figuring and assuming you get 1 scientist from the council at the end of the first month and don't gain any as bonuses from missions.

Going directly for beam weapons get you lasers on roughly the second day of the second month, then going for carapace armour get you it on the second day of the third month.

Going for capturing and interrogating a sectoid with "We Have Ways", then beam weapons gets you lasers on the 7th day of the second month. You should have also mangaged to capture a Floater by this point, So heading for carapace armour gets it available on the 25th of the second month.

So by starting with "We Have Ways" you end up a week ahead in research by the end of the second month and also have the arc thrower and containment operational along with the aim and defence boosts for your interceptors and researching precision lasers, heavy lasers and skeleton armour will take you half the time during the third month. A number of the early foundry projects will also be taking half the time.

Of course randomness in rewards and where you put sattelites can give you more scientists which will alter the numbers, but as sectoid and floater interrogations halve the time for most of the early research it will still likely end up fairly well ahead during the third month. Of course you will likely be more strapped for cash than taking the other route so you may have problems actually having the funds to build all of this new tech.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: October 27, 2012, 09:06:08 pm »

Terror mission begins. Hell yes, I can stick it. I've got five Colonels and a rookie I need to rank up. Everyone is loaded for bear and packing laser guns and carapace armor, long before the Important Story Related Spoiler Event.

I deploy, and kill some muton far in front of me. I send my medic 'straight' to save the few civilians there, and send the rookie past the three tanks to my 'right', after four civvies. My two heavies, sniper, and assault stack up in the middle to provide general support, and I move my medic up along the 'top' to get a few more civilians. He reaches the first one, but triggers a pack of Cryssalids. They kill him, in a single turn. I retaliate with missiles and headshots, but a couple zombies and a Cryssalid are out of my sight.

To the 'south', my rookie reaches the first civilian, and also triggers a pack of Cryssalids. Fuck me. They dash up to him, and I have a choice. I can fire at them, wasting his turn and have him die. Or. Or I can make him a rock solid hero.
For his final turn, I use both his moves to save two civilians. He is Cryssalid'd immediatly after this.
Kwasi Dosenbowe, you may have been a simple Squaddie, but you will forever be a hero to us all.

In the center of the rows of tanks, my four core soldiers are laying down unholy firepower on the waves of advancing zombies and Cryssalids. One heavy is wounded, and right next to a car as it explodes. She is critically wounded. My medic is dead.
There will be blood for this.

This was the main meat of the mission. After this, I just mopped up the remaining Cryssalids. But damn. Three dead, two were Colonels. All the others were heavily wounded.

This game rocks. :D
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: October 27, 2012, 09:18:55 pm »

I've also had grave sacrifices for civilians.  Ross Rodriguez got a civilian out from behind a tank seconds before it exploded, killing him.  Something Chepurnova found herself on the wrong side of a Muton Berserker and used her last turn to save two civilians before it beat the holy fucking shit out of her.

I miss Ross so bad.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: October 27, 2012, 10:03:33 pm »

Huh. I always ignore the civvies.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: October 27, 2012, 10:04:42 pm »

You REALLY might as well. Using them as human shields in order to do the mission "faster" is actually a much more efficient way of doing things.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: October 27, 2012, 10:40:06 pm »

Agreed. My plasma-toting Corporal Heavy is waaaay more important than one of the 18 nameless bullet sponges scattered around the map.  ;)

Worst I ever got was 8/18 saved, a rating of 'poor'. I still got a 2-point panic reduction in the country. Totally not worth risking a soldier's life to extract a civilian.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: October 27, 2012, 10:48:37 pm »

All that seems to matter is whether or not you win the mission. In fact even the council only seems to care whether or not you win the mission, as long as you shoot down every UFO and take and win every mission available you still seem to get an A rating even if you lose dozens of soldiers and get poor ratings.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: October 27, 2012, 11:35:12 pm »

Yea i recommend ignoring the civilians and keeping your team together and covering each other. On terror missions i always focus on the closest threat and i almost never dash, unless for maybe regrouping a squad member left behind or using run&gun with an assault.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: October 27, 2012, 11:38:15 pm »

Yea i recommend ignoring the civilians and keeping your team together and covering each other. On terror missions i always focus on the closest threat and i almost never dash, unless for maybe regrouping a squad member left behind or using run&gun with an assault.

I think what makes terror missions easier then normal is two fold

1) Crysalids are not difficult anymore unless you lack the next grade of weaponry (and a total joke if you got the last grade)
and
2) Aliens don't bring their A game to terror missions. I've found them easier then taking ships.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: October 28, 2012, 02:56:12 am »

I know I've said in the past that crysalids are a nightmare, but on review I just got really unlucky in my first encounter.  With the new reduced squad size they don't have enough rookies to zombify.  Their health is just enough to make up for the fact that they can't make use of cover, and the "you only get two actions" rules change was really hard on them.

Still horrifying when they do get someone, but it doesn't happen that often.  They feel like a bit of a holdover from the original; it'll be interesting to see what happens when the devs get to make aliens tailored to the new system in the inevitable sequel.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 625