Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959735 times)

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4560 on: October 27, 2012, 09:08:04 am »

Does We Have Ways actually work when you start the game in South America?  It seems like instant interrogations/autopsies would be a ridiculously good perk, but I'm not sure it's actually doing anything.  The sectoid autopsy item never showed up in research or in the archives, and I don't appear to have any benefits either.  Sectoid autopsy gives you an interceptor boost item right?
You need to select it for research just like you would with any other object. With We Have Ways, it is completed instantly when you confirm the research order, allowing you to choose something else.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: October 27, 2012, 10:08:31 am »

When I last left off...

Alien turn: One of the sectoids opens fire on my Support, but only does 1 damage to her. The one she hits goes on overwatch, and then a Thin Man and Sectoid run into the building from the side the Rookie was watching. I assume they didn't want to trigger her overwatch.

And then my alarm when off telling me I had to go.

So now I have 4 aliens, including a Thin man, all with sights on my Support, and two of them in Overwatch. I've used up 1 smoke and 1 grenade, leaving my rocket and the rookie's grenade. Haven't used my medkit yet, since up until this point the only injury was immediately fatal.

This should be interesting to try and get out of. While I have High cover where I am, I'm pretty screwed if the aliens shoot it down.

Got to finish it this morning. And, damn, that went well!

Had the rookie use her grenade on the outside of the building to blow up the wall, the aliens, and their cover. The Thin Man died and the sectoid lost his cover, allowing my Support to blast him away easily. My Heavy also got a great hit on a 57% shot to kill another sectoid. Leaving only 1.

He moves around, trying to flank my rookie. She gets hit once, but is patched up by the support. A bunch of people need to reload, so I mostly try to pin him with overwatch. Eventually my heavy moves in to flank him and blows him away.

Heavy got promoted to Corporal and the Rookie is now a Sq. Support. Injured, but alive. If it hadn't been for poor Susan getting killed on the roof it'd have been a near perfect mission!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Shoes...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: October 27, 2012, 10:57:00 am »

Does We Have Ways actually work when you start the game in South America?  It seems like instant interrogations/autopsies would be a ridiculously good perk, but I'm not sure it's actually doing anything.  The sectoid autopsy item never showed up in research or in the archives, and I don't appear to have any benefits either.  Sectoid autopsy gives you an interceptor boost item right?
You need to select it for research just like you would with any other object. With We Have Ways, it is completed instantly when you confirm the research order, allowing you to choose something else.

We Have Ways is really good, but not good enough as a starting perk. Considering South America only has two sponsor countries, it's not that hard to get it fully covered and get the perk at some point fairly early in the game. Most of the autopsies don't take that long anyway. Mine were never more than 3 or 4 days before the perk and I was running on a fairly minimal science crew.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: October 27, 2012, 11:01:03 am »

Yeah, that game failed partly due to funding issues.  I'm doing a classic non-Ironman game to get familiar with tactics before I try again.  Now that I know Normal cheats I can't bring myself to play it.

I can't decide if I like these point cost changes or not.  As much as I hate the Heavy Floater changes I know they were called for, I literally never lost with Team Floater.  Deadeye sniper is 2k now, definitely a necessary change, and Ethereals are out of ranked entirely at 10.5k.  That's the one most people are mad about, but I'm fine with it.  Ethereals suck anyway, I only lost to an Ethereal once.
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: October 27, 2012, 11:39:52 am »

No, there's a big divide between people who think ethereals are crazy OP (usually new players) and people who think they're useless (usually good players).  With them gone, there can be a bit more variety in builds because you don't have to have ethereals in mind when building.  Lord Murderdeath the ghost armored psy-assault with alloycannon and his friend the squadsight sniper with archangel, of course, are still around, and they're much worse than ethereals.
Shoes...

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #4566 on: October 27, 2012, 01:17:23 pm »

Does anyone have / know of a particularly good Let's Play of this?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to actually play at the moment, but I can always put it on my second monitor and watch it in the background.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: October 27, 2012, 02:20:59 pm »

We Have Ways is really good, but not good enough as a starting perk. Considering South America only has two sponsor countries, it's not that hard to get it fully covered and get the perk at some point fairly early in the game. Most of the autopsies don't take that long anyway. Mine were never more than 3 or 4 days before the perk and I was running on a fairly minimal science crew.

Those three or four days adds up to lost research in other things though. We Have Ways is REALLY easy to get though, and it can save you weeks of research time. Not that great for a starting perk though.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: October 27, 2012, 04:11:46 pm »

Honestly the best bonus is Africa. America would be awesome if it applied for sats, europes is meh because by the point where you're building enough workshops for that to really take an effect you're earning loads already, Asia's training bonus and foundry only really apply late game and South America is, well, two sats.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4569 on: October 27, 2012, 04:14:27 pm »

I've found We Have Ways is good as either your starting bonus or picking it up with your first two sattelites. If it is your start, you can have lasers and carapace armour ready to go for your first terror mission if you capture your first sectoid and floater as soon as possible. It also makes it easier to shoot down your first few ufo's by getting the aim boost from the sectoid autopsy.

If you don't get it very early it becomes fairly useless as later on you have enough scientists that pretty much all research times drop to low levels.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: October 27, 2012, 04:30:12 pm »

I like the America start because I cba to buy 3 sats for cheaper aircraft, you get the nice America funding as well which helps a lot. Africa is mixed for me, its similar funding because of 30% boost as starting in America in the early game but the expenses of aircraft sort of eat up that early bonus and then later on your not really strapped for cash as much as you are for alloys.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: October 27, 2012, 05:03:22 pm »

The problem with the America start is that while you get the best funding from the start, with Africa, if you drop a single satellite into North America you get 180 plus whatever 30% is. With the America start you'd have to drop three satellites to get that. That'll pay for any interceptors you need.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4572 on: October 27, 2012, 05:32:12 pm »

don't underestimate the 30% bonus from africa. it is applied on your income, not on your balance, so the net result is a quite big positive balance increase.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4573 on: October 27, 2012, 05:52:21 pm »

Someone should play a quick game on easy and write up a research tree, if someone hasn't done one already.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: October 27, 2012, 05:58:39 pm »

Does anyone have / know of a particularly good Let's Play of this?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to actually play at the moment, but I can always put it on my second monitor and watch it in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgTDRanlHY&feature=relmfu
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 625