Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959752 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4545 on: October 26, 2012, 12:13:42 pm »

I would say to RUN (defense bonus from dashing!) but I'm not even sure if that's even a good choice.

On the other hand, with a medkit, depending on cover, hunkering down would probably keep her alive and give your other units a chance to retaliate after she eats the fire. Thin man will almost surely use poison in that situation.

Hmm...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: October 26, 2012, 12:50:46 pm »

I think they never played the original X-Com where their free move was a plasma shot in your face
To be fair, that was only if the aliens saved action points and then made the reflex roll to actually take a reaction shot.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: October 26, 2012, 12:56:56 pm »

I think they never played the original X-Com where their free move was a plasma shot in your face
To be fair, that was only if the aliens saved action points and then made the reflex roll to actually take a reaction shot.

Quite often, generally. Aliens had a tendency to camp a lot... although they'd also often wear down their action points in those situations as well, by simply spinning in place a lot.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: October 26, 2012, 12:58:16 pm »

TO these whinners, they should go play just one game superman on the original, cry, rage and finaly come back to this X-Com to see how much 8Friendlier* the tactical game is. Cover, skills, flanking, while in original, rookie, vet, panick.
why does this make me think of youtube comments so much?
Big chance it was one of mine on youtube too... angeldacci on youtube.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: October 26, 2012, 01:01:00 pm »

Im just tired of hearing player cry about alien free-move.... I think they never played the original X-Com where their free move was a plasma shot in your face, im soo happy that it is now a move instead of a squad death......

TO these whinners, they should go play just one game superman on the original, cry, rage and finaly come back to this X-Com to see how much 8Friendlier* the tactical game is. Cover, skills, flanking, while in original, rookie, vet, panick.

There are really two big differences between the original & the new.  First of all, in the OG, the aliens are spread around the map already, while in the new game, they're in tight clusters.  So yes, I understand the desire for them to 'spread out' a bit.  Secondly, in the OG, you could discover an alien out in the wide open with zero cover, and shoot it while its defenseless; in the new game, they get that 'free move' to get to cover.  I'd almost prefer if they went with the original games mechanic, having them spread out across the map already, with no free move to cover.

But I'd also want the OG's line of sight mechanic, where you could literally have an alien sneak up behind you, if you never turn around to look for it.

As for which game is more tactical, I feel that the original is, but that's maybe more of my play-style.  I mean, I'd send soldiers out in groups, to sweep around the backside of the UFO, clearing buildings from ground level to the roof, while some are heading for the UFO doors to clear inside of it.  All while paying attention to line of sight, keeping someone turned towards unexplored areas, and always... always leaving TU's for reaction fire.  The new game, both because of the squad size & the number disparity, means I tend to keep my squad close together for mutual support.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4550 on: October 26, 2012, 02:58:44 pm »

Funny how when things go south, the optimal solution is a Heavy squad.
Sure, you get the whiny researchers, but hey, on the plus side? You get the squad to go back home alive.
Crash site of Ufo, which in truth was an abduction site (no clue how that worked, it was more of a 'landed' ufo than anything else)
IN europe.
Oh joy.
So, my four squad team (I'm having a two-computer play thing, on one (Desktop) and the other (Laptop).)
So, Desktop world:
We charge through half-cover made of wood (That the thin men enjoy smashing down) throwing grenades like it was July the Fourth.
As the wheezing sound of pain, of blood, of green blooded limbs scatter in the air, the thin men launch...their 'poison' barrage.
The end result was something akin to 'save soldier ryan' or 'insert war film title here that has running through explosions'.
Oh, on the plus side, one of them was equipped with the arc thrower, and actually managed to stun a thin man...for SCIENCE!
The fun fact? The squad gets inside the Ufo from the entry, defeats the 'ufo guardian of pure energy' and yet...there are still enemies around.
And that, kind sirs, is how I lost soldiers Bob and Jennifer (Names censored for security reasons)
The first one actually was moved outside on the other side of the Ufo.
Thats when the thin men atop the Ufo's roof decided to give him a nice and warm plasma shower.
He did not survive the experience.
Soldier Jennifer, smartly, decided to dash off the other Ufo exit.
Well, shower of plasma number two, and I knew where the remaining aliens were.
It was all thanks to soldiers John and Ray that the day was saved. That, and grenades.
And a rocket launcher.
Have I said how much I'm loving this game?
What fool was I, to not get it beforehand!?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: October 26, 2012, 03:11:51 pm »

I think I'm at a nice stage in my classic Ironman. I have enough Colonels so if needs be I can get a full squad of them even if a few are in sickbay.

Unfortunately my Psi-Assault Col has gone down from Will of 75 to 50 so he is pretty useless as a Psi Soldier so now i'm just training up newbies to with the Will bonus so I can get a nice full out Psi-Squad, ideally I want a Psi-Squad of heavies so they can mind control the mutons and the floaters, mindfray the thin-men and and just nuke the robots and ethereals.

6 Psi Heavies would be unstoppable.

Still working on trying to get the achievement for 1 guy to clear out a UFO by himself but I think I'm going to need a Psi-Sniper and floaters for that.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: October 26, 2012, 07:40:07 pm »

Eh, give him psi armour and psi inspiration. He'll be able to mind control anything with ease except other psy aliens and even they won't be too much of an issue.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4553 on: October 26, 2012, 09:32:14 pm »

Psi armour + psi shield gives you +50, psi inspiration gives you +30 for 2 turns and combat drug smoke gives you +20 within the smoke. That lets you mind-control anything even with somewhat poor initial will. I suppose if you used a psi support they could have the combat stims as well as I think that gives a will bonus.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: October 27, 2012, 06:08:26 am »

You know, it's always entertaining when you change weapons with your soldiers to pistols so fast that it bugs out and the other weapon still appears to be in their hands, making it look like your guys are wielding a weapon like, say, a sniper rifle like a pistol.

Squaddie Sniper: "Uhhh, sir? Aren't you supposed to hold your sniper rifle with-"
Doomsniper: "Shut up, rookie, I know what I'm doing." *Points sniper rifle at alien with both hands on receiver*

Also, I hate it when missed enemy shots blow up cover that other soldiers are taking cover behind...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4555 on: October 27, 2012, 08:09:47 am »

I'm more impressed when they can succesfully shoot an alien by aiming off 90 degrees to the side, or even on at least one occasion, directly away from the alien.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:15:07 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: October 27, 2012, 08:47:24 am »

Does We Have Ways actually work when you start the game in South America?  It seems like instant interrogations/autopsies would be a ridiculously good perk, but I'm not sure it's actually doing anything.  The sectoid autopsy item never showed up in research or in the archives, and I don't appear to have any benefits either.  Sectoid autopsy gives you an interceptor boost item right?
Shoes...

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: October 27, 2012, 08:51:56 am »

Yeah your starting continent gives you the perk as if you had full satellites.

We have ways is ok but not amazing. I do get it early because it's only 2 satellites but I don't start there, NA is my base of choice for ze monies and then I can screw over Canada and Mexico

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: October 27, 2012, 08:52:37 am »

I think you still need to select the research option - but it should just finish immediately, right?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: October 27, 2012, 09:00:26 am »

The sectoid autopsy item never showed up in research or in the archives, and I don't appear to have any benefits either.

You do have the Xeno Physiology research done right?
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 625