Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960018 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4485 on: October 25, 2012, 04:48:44 pm »

In my latest attempt at Classic + Ironman, my original team all got white armour and the 'classic' hair. They're all dead now.

After being the last survivor of the mission that killed the rest of them of them, the last of that team had a habit of being the only survivor of every mission she was sent on. Until I got my first terror mission, which turned into a total wipeout with her the last survivor, legging it back for evac only to get chased down by a Chryssalid and chomped on.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:51:56 pm by MorleyDev »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: October 25, 2012, 04:59:54 pm »

Anyone else get a 'hero' soldier? I'm playing on impossible and while the body count is getting impressively high I have one soldier who seems to be invincible. He literally never misses (He has taken several low % shots and hit everyone!) and never gets hit (One time he had 4 mutons fire at him at once and every single one missed or wasted its shot on cover.) His last name is Mc'Neil maybe he is related to O'neil from stargate? Haha.

Then again I've also had some amazing duds. One heavy comes to mind. He fired a rocket killing three mutons...and then panics!? Runs straight into the arms of an over-watched muton getting killed in the process. Of course this caused 4 of the other soldiers to panic as well. Luckily "Snake Eyes" the sniper was the only one that kept her cool and blasted the muton in the head.

Yeah i have one, while not having massive aim he does have MASSIVE will. Meet "Black Cat" Chavez!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He is currently under psi trainning, and since he is on the frontline he doesnt need that much aiming since his shotgun seem to ignore cover depending on distance.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: October 25, 2012, 05:01:52 pm »

Does he have 103 will 0.0  dude thats enough to mind control a muton elite like 100% of the time with no bonus what so ever.  Get him a psy-shield and some psy armor and he will rapppepepe
Nom nom nom

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: October 25, 2012, 05:57:16 pm »

I put everyone in black uniforms with identical helmets except for anyone with psionics, which get red psi armor and no helmet, and they're all bald.

It actually looks fairly neat.

I use the second armor with black/red color scheme, and helmets for the heavy and the assault (a different helmet per class).
but not for rokies! they keep the default 'fresh meat' look until promotion.

I put them on grey when I start putting armor on them.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: October 25, 2012, 06:08:31 pm »

Does he have 103 will 0.0  dude thats enough to mind control a muton elite like 100% of the time with no bonus what so ever.  Get him a psy-shield and some psy armor and he will rapppepepe

I actually ran a team of Psionics when I was messing about. Its still gamebreaking. Start of the mission, stack up on eachother, psi inspiration. Mind control everyone forever.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: October 25, 2012, 06:10:31 pm »

I tried the XCOM rebalance mod mentioned earlier.

Would not recommend.  Some of it's good, the research times are fine, the gun rebalance is pretty good and the AI improvements make things more interesting.  On the other hand, the Officer School is default unbuilt, which just adds to your expenditures, and the worst part:  The god damn fuckfucking recovery times.  A critically wounded soldier will spend 50+ days in the hospital, and even moderate injuries will have them out for several missions.  That's unacceptable.
Shoes...

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: October 25, 2012, 06:14:46 pm »

Open up the .mod file in Notepad++ and change it? Most of it is pretty self-explanitory.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:53 pm »

Ok fuck you Scatter Lasers, why say you have medium range when you are exactly the same as shotguns with no range. Stupid scatter lasers got my only support (game just wants to give me everything but supports) killed because my two assaults couldn't do a damn thing to the muton who got a damned one-shot crit kill on my Major Support.

Honestly the only "shotgun" that I let my assaults use is the Alloy Cannon, otherwise it's rifles all the way, I don't need my assaults to one hit kill mutons, im happy with them whittling away at them and providing good cover, and actually flushing them out of cover.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: October 25, 2012, 06:46:44 pm »

the Officer School is default unbuilt

What do you mean, here?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: October 25, 2012, 06:50:26 pm »

Ok fuck you Scatter Lasers, why say you have medium range when you are exactly the same as shotguns with no range. Stupid scatter lasers got my only support (game just wants to give me everything but supports) killed because my two assaults couldn't do a damn thing to the muton who got a damned one-shot crit kill on my Major Support.

Honestly the only "shotgun" that I let my assaults use is the Alloy Cannon, otherwise it's rifles all the way, I don't need my assaults to one hit kill mutons, im happy with them whittling away at them and providing good cover, and actually flushing them out of cover.

Scatter lasers have better range then normal shotguns... It doesn't mean they can hit easily but it means they can actually hit things.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: October 25, 2012, 07:02:45 pm »

Now i just wish will would also affect damage output because at this point and once decked out the amount of psy will would be just crazy...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:05:02 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: October 25, 2012, 07:07:04 pm »

What do you mean, here?
Presumeably, you start without the training school.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: October 25, 2012, 07:09:17 pm »

Scatter lasers have better range then normal shotguns... It doesn't mean they can hit easily but it means they can actually hit things.

Nope scatter lasers are shit, I don't need a 10% chance to hit which would be 75% for rifle, especially when playing Iron man on Classic or Impossible and cover is scarce you need to be able to hit from range and do more then 1-2 pistol damage. Only snipers can be badass with pistols.

I feel that shotgun type weapons on assaults actually cripple them more then help.

Meh screw it, im just going to work with a squad of heavies, 5 guys with bullet swarm, 1 guy with holo-targeting, and a shit load of rockets, who needs weapon fragments when you can potentially have 18 rockets which have a 90% hit rate AoE

What do you mean, here?

Im guessing the confusion is that in Classic and Impossible the OTS is default not built.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: October 25, 2012, 07:12:12 pm »

Nope scatter lasers are shit, I don't need a 10% chance to hit which would be 75% for rifle

They have their use, but they are mainly a close quarters weapon. They are namely useful for their ability to have 100% hit chance against running defensive enemies behind full cover.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: October 25, 2012, 07:30:43 pm »

What do you mean, here?

There's a way to start with the training school? o_O

I've always had to build it. And it's not like it's possible to even build it right away.
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 625