Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960041 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4440 on: October 24, 2012, 11:48:29 pm »

Rocket launchers are for killing cover, not enemies, silly people.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: October 24, 2012, 11:52:39 pm »

Rocket launchers are for killing cover, not enemies, silly people.

It kinda supports my arguement that small weapons fire is supperior to large arms.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: October 24, 2012, 11:54:59 pm »

Rockets are very useful actually. For one, they don't take up a precious item slot and they're excellent at taking down cover and walls. And in the early game, they are very good at wiping out the aliens as well. Once you hit the Chryssalids though, it starts to lose effectiveness for killing, but the destruction is very useful.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: October 24, 2012, 11:55:51 pm »

Rockets are very useful actually. For one, they don't take up a precious item slot and they're excellent at taking down cover and walls. And in the early game, they are very good at wiping out the aliens as well. Once you hit the Chryssalids though, it starts to lose effectiveness for killing, but the destruction is very useful.

8 Damage upgrade is enough to take down Mutons and weaken elites to lots of damage.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: October 25, 2012, 12:03:48 am »

Berserkers are good for boiling down in Stim-paks, but good luck trying to capture one alive.  It took me three missions and was the fourth Berserker faced to be captured by my intrepid Assault.  Berzerkers have (?) 20-ish health, iir, tennis between two snipers was the only way to whittle him down.

Does anyone know if there is an alloy sniper rifle?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: October 25, 2012, 12:04:30 am »

Alloy cannon is the plas-version of the shotgun.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: October 25, 2012, 12:09:39 am »

Besides a Sniper would be WAY overpowered with another upgrade

I've already had Snipers easily one shot Cyberdisks and two shot Sectopods.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: October 25, 2012, 12:13:03 am »

15 damage on crit? Two shots every other turn, always seemingly having 100% hit chance? Yes, please.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: October 25, 2012, 01:10:05 am »

I didn't know you could even survive Beserkers. I thought they just outright killed you.

Oddly enough their "Run forward whenever they are attacked" ability is more of a weakness.

Yeah, my Assault has a tendency to pick up kills against Mutons because he has the secondary overwatch where he attacks any opponent that gets within four squares of him. So the Berserker just runs past someone with an alloy cannon that nearly drops them in one shot.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4449 on: October 25, 2012, 01:24:00 am »

Finished the game on normal earlier this month, so today i decided to do another playthrough on Classic (and Ironman. Funnily enough i basically played through the first playthrough on Normal as if it was Ironman in that i didn't savescum at all, it's just this time i'm having it formally on so i'll have the benefit of it autosaving so i don't lose any progress if the game crashes).

Got Fraps going and recording since i'm doing this for my YouTube Channel, start the game, through the intro movie and such, and i'm in the mission.

Now, i don't feel like going into detail of how it went, so i'm gonna sum it up in a few short lines of text that convey the general feeling.

WHY ARE THESE SOLDIERS ARE MISSING EVERY DAMN SHOT.

HOLY MOTHER OF BACON THERE ARE SIX SECTOIDS AT ONCE.

GIGANTIC FLESHY SACS OF CHIHUAHUA MY DUDES ARE DROPPING LIKE FLIES.

You can probably guess i failed the mission. So i tried again, with very similar results.

SON OF A DAMNIT THERE's SIX OF THEM.

IN THE NAME OF EXPLODING PUPPIES ALL OF MY SOLDIERS ARE FLANKED FROM ONE SIDE OR THE OTHER.

FOR THE LOVE OF SHITTING BOTH WAYS WHY DOES THE RNG HATE ME SO?

Yep. So i tried again, and third time's the charm, i got through with little trouble at all. But you ever get the feeling that the only reason something good's happenening is because something really, really bad's coming afterwards? My next mission...

PLEASE GO ON, I ENJOY HAVING ALL 8 SECTOIDS IN PLAY AT ONCE.

YES, THANK YOU FOR KILLING 3 OF MY DUDES, I LIKE IT WHEN IT's JUST ONE GUY VERSUS HALF A DOZEN ENEMIES.

HOW IN THE 35 DICKS OF ARMOK AM I SUPPOSED TO PULL THIS OFF?

Amazingly enough, i was able to pull it off with the only surviving dude (who was a Sniper). Sectoids came at me mostly one at a time, so i was able to pick most of them off and then hunt down the last one. With a pistol, no less.

Normal was never this hard, even in the early game. This is definitely classic XCOM-style difficulty at work here. Holy balls.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: October 25, 2012, 02:14:11 am »

I tried a classic game because I accidentally pressed new game button, and felt the same way. I was all WTF MY GUY'S IN FULL COVER, HOW DID HE GET 1H KILLED WITH A PLASMA PISTOL?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: October 25, 2012, 02:50:04 am »

You guys need to placate the RNG more or use better tactics. I just started a new classic game and the first few missions went extremely well. The first game I won was also classic, with minimal loading.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: October 25, 2012, 03:09:23 am »

the first few missions went extremely well.

This is my main fault with the game, if the first missions go well then the game quickly becomes easy as your cash flow and troops are better, which means you have more buildings and satalites and so more money. If your unlucky and the first few missions go poorly the game quickly snowballs into a more interesting but ultimately Fun and short run.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4453 on: October 25, 2012, 03:45:02 am »

Then comes a mission that wipes out all of your guys, and it's a matter of time until you lose ;)

Also, 612DwarfAve and Muz, I was in the same spot, but Hunker Down has a lot to it. I was using full cover whenever it was in my path, and I was using grenades/launchers to take out cover when the opportunity arose. The fact is, that doesn't cut it for Classic. You need to actively seek those opportunities. You're screwed if you wait for them to show up. Your entire strategy needs to be built around moving close enough, under cover, to a 99% kill chance, whether that means you have a 100% shot, or 3 or 4 75% shots.

Another very important thing is: your first move should reveal terrain, but none of the others should. Take one guy up ahead. If he spots too many enemies, retreat and have everyone hunker down/overwatch depending on whether they are full-cover or half-cover. If you don't spot any enemies, move everyone up, slowly, but don't reveal any new terrain. There's nothing worse as the last guy revealing 3 mutons... don't let it happen!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: October 25, 2012, 04:04:55 am »

Finished the game on normal earlier this month, so today i decided to do another playthrough on Classic (and Ironman. Funnily enough i basically played through the first playthrough on Normal as if it was Ironman in that i didn't savescum at all, it's just this time i'm having it formally on so i'll have the benefit of it autosaving so i don't lose any progress if the game crashes).

Got Fraps going and recording since i'm doing this for my YouTube Channel, start the game, through the intro movie and such, and i'm in the mission.

Now, i don't feel like going into detail of how it went, so i'm gonna sum it up in a few short lines of text that convey the general feeling.

WHY ARE THESE SOLDIERS ARE MISSING EVERY DAMN SHOT.

HOLY MOTHER OF BACON THERE ARE SIX SECTOIDS AT ONCE.

GIGANTIC FLESHY SACS OF CHIHUAHUA MY DUDES ARE DROPPING LIKE FLIES.

You can probably guess i failed the mission. So i tried again, with very similar results.

SON OF A DAMNIT THERE's SIX OF THEM.

IN THE NAME OF EXPLODING PUPPIES ALL OF MY SOLDIERS ARE FLANKED FROM ONE SIDE OR THE OTHER.

FOR THE LOVE OF SHITTING BOTH WAYS WHY DOES THE RNG HATE ME SO?

Yep. So i tried again, and third time's the charm, i got through with little trouble at all. But you ever get the feeling that the only reason something good's happenening is because something really, really bad's coming afterwards? My next mission...

PLEASE GO ON, I ENJOY HAVING ALL 8 SECTOIDS IN PLAY AT ONCE.

YES, THANK YOU FOR KILLING 3 OF MY DUDES, I LIKE IT WHEN IT's JUST ONE GUY VERSUS HALF A DOZEN ENEMIES.

HOW IN THE 35 DICKS OF ARMOK AM I SUPPOSED TO PULL THIS OFF?

Amazingly enough, i was able to pull it off with the only surviving dude (who was a Sniper). Sectoids came at me mostly one at a time, so i was able to pick most of them off and then hunt down the last one. With a pistol, no less.

Normal was never this hard, even in the early game. This is definitely classic XCOM-style difficulty at work here. Holy balls.
Hmmm i guess you are not ready for impossible then. I made multiple mission on impossible and i only lost one guy so far, you need to NEVER EVER Dash unless you REALLY know what you are doing, use hunker down if you dont have good shots, overwatch a lot ( when you did not find them ). ALWAYS be on the move and flank, always split your group in 2, i call my front line and my flanker. Dont group up or later grenade will just fly to you non-stop.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 625