Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960091 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4410 on: October 24, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »

Also, remember that the Mutons would be quite likely to hit after a grenade blows away your cover.  ;)

That was a mistake I often made - thinking "grenades only do 3 damage and destroy fragments, I should bring a better item". Yeah, except at 3 damage, grenades usually won't get the kill, so they won't destroy any fragments. And blowing away the target's cover is usually worth not bringing a SCOPE on a rookie.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4411 on: October 24, 2012, 05:37:33 pm »

Because as you know, the lower the probability of hitting, the more powerful the percentage points are!! Likewise with me missing three 70-something% shots in a row, while still hitting 30-40% shots with frightening regularity. I'm not quite sure how probabilities work any more, and i've had statistics class.

Also i wuv this game. But hell, with a canadian sniper called Cpt. MOOSEFIST "SYRUP" MAPLEBLAST and an angry scottish assault called WHISKEY FUCKSHOT, there's not much that can go wrong. Other than those two dying, but hey. WHISKEY FUCKSHOT has a talent for getting wounded all the time, but never managed to die. He also likes to retaliate with shotguns, much to the aliens' chagrin. Scatterlaser hits preeeeetty hard at point blank range. Captain MAPLEBLAST just snipes everything from afar, even with a laser pistol.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4412 on: October 24, 2012, 06:23:39 pm »

Doing another classic ironman run. I've been more and more careful, hunkered down quite a bit... my guys are still getting wounded rather frequently, but survivability is fairly high. Since there's always a couple of wounded guys, I'm cycling the team quite a bit and have probably got a full complement of 6 nicknames plus squaddies and whatever the next rank is. Just got the 6 man squad upgrade and faster healing. Started in Africa, and money does not appear to be a problem. Have had two countries leave, but will get 3 new satellites before the next council.

The only assault I had died, now I got another one. My team composition is usually 2 snipers, 2 supports, 2 heavies. Mostly due to not having an assault :)

But... so far so good (I've just gone ahead and jinxed it, right?).

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: October 24, 2012, 06:28:25 pm »

Just remember this for percents:

If it isn't 100%, it can fail. If it isn't 0%, it can succeed.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: October 24, 2012, 06:32:48 pm »

You'll be fine. Use more heavies.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: October 24, 2012, 06:33:21 pm »

Not true: EVERY shot in the game can fail due to the hit calcs. Treat every 100% as a 99% and you're closer to the mark.

Also, for those of us using Mods, word on the 2k forums is that there was an update today that made the game us a hosted ini file instead of the local or baked in ones. The solution is to play offline.

This was probably done to deal with Multiplayer issues and balancing, but it kinda ruins mods. Hopefully they'll change it soon so mods work properly without having to go offline.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: October 24, 2012, 06:40:50 pm »

You know, I really do think I'd enjoy running with 6 heavies, hah. Just the sheer amount of dakka.

Enemies? EXPLOSION. 8 shots of bullet fire. 2 more shots or 2 more explosions as needed.

Repeat for up to 6 distinct groups of enemies!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: October 24, 2012, 06:41:53 pm »

To be fair... it's pretty much required for consistent, reliable multiplayer. The 2K forums are up in arms, but that's because the forumites are phrasing it as "killing modding!", not "safeguarding multiplayer".

It's also trivial to work around - reboot Steam in offline mode, and you may now safely mod your game.

Al in all, it doesn't help modding, but it's hardly the death knell some people are claiming.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: October 24, 2012, 06:51:26 pm »

I'd prefer a solution that checked versions to ensure that if you're using mods you can only play against other modded games. Or one where it only uses that ini for multiplayer and leaves singleplayer alone (and maybe disables achievements if you have a modded game).

Putting steam in offline mode isn't a big deal, but I'd rather not have to bother at all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: October 24, 2012, 06:58:13 pm »

Truth be known I'd gamble MORE then they don't let you use mods in order to gouge you with DLC

You saw the first DLC... A modder could easily do that. Insant money Fireaxis wouldn't make if modders were allowed to submit content in the game normally.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: October 24, 2012, 07:00:25 pm »

This honestly does not seem to me like the sort of change you'd make (certainly not as a silent unannounced patch) if you were simply trying to protect MP.

As if MP even works for some of us. -_- Could maybe try fixing that first.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: October 24, 2012, 07:08:19 pm »

Not true: EVERY shot in the game can fail due to the hit calcs. Treat every 100% as a 99% and you're closer to the mark.

Also, for those of us using Mods, word on the 2k forums is that there was an update today that made the game us a hosted ini file instead of the local or baked in ones. The solution is to play offline.

This was probably done to deal with Multiplayer issues and balancing, but it kinda ruins mods. Hopefully they'll change it soon so mods work properly without having to go offline.

My saying assumed a 'perfect' percent and not rounding. Of course, most games round but... still.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: October 24, 2012, 09:20:16 pm »

Okay, it was mentioned earlier that you could see things you build under the engineering section.  I'm looking and I don't see them.  Is it only in workshops you build yourself?
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: October 24, 2012, 09:35:52 pm »

Go to the build menu for items. There, you should be able to see the number of those items that you've built.

Assuming that's what you're looking for, of course.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: October 24, 2012, 09:46:50 pm »

No, I meant actual physical representations of the items you've built.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 625