Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960114 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4395 on: October 24, 2012, 01:05:55 pm »

Greed will kill you in this game. So will impatience, since my Assault should have killed that Sectoid the previous round but didn't because I thought he had his pistol out so I switched weapons. And then saw him blast the Sectoid with his pistol instead of the shotgun

Goodness does anyone actually really improve their pistol?

I actually never use anything but the unupgraded starting pistol.

Well upgrading it is worthwhile for snipers without that perk that allows them shooting or overwatch after moving and fighting against ambushes spawning on their heads when the hitchance with rifles is just too darn low.

Oddly enough in those situations I still found a good sniper rifle to be the solution.

Well it could be because I always use two snipers (Snap Shot and Squad Sight)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: October 24, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »

Greed will kill you in this game. So will impatience, since my Assault should have killed that Sectoid the previous round but didn't because I thought he had his pistol out so I switched weapons. And then saw him blast the Sectoid with his pistol instead of the shotgun

Goodness does anyone actually really improve their pistol?

I actually never use anything but the unupgraded starting pistol.

Well, this was actually too early in the game to have better pistols yet anyway. I haven't even finished researching Weapon Fragments yet.

But what I meant was that my Assault was originally pretty far away, so I assumed I'd brought his pistol out so that he could shoot/overwatch at longer range than the shotgun allows. But he still had his shotgun out, so when I switched weapons I though he was getting his shotgun out when instead he got his pistol out. And I was moving too fast so I hit attack before I noticed the problem.

So he shot his dinky pistol at close range instead of the nice powerful shotgun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: October 24, 2012, 01:24:35 pm »

In regards to upgrading pistols, someone commented on the LP I'm now watching (finally) that fully-upgraded pistols with the gunslinger perk actually do more damage than plasma rifles.  Without the perk they're still on-par with light plasma, or something like that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: October 24, 2012, 01:27:51 pm »

Upgraded pistols means I can safely give my snipers a good sidearm and switch out their grenades for a scope. That's a good thing, I think.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: October 24, 2012, 01:30:17 pm »

In regards to upgrading pistols, someone commented on the LP I'm now watching (finally) that fully-upgraded pistols with the gunslinger perk actually do more damage than plasma rifles.  Without the perk they're still on-par with light plasma, or something like that.

Plus, snipers have really good accuracy anyway... That's actually a good idea, but it requires a lot of upgrading and researching and the foundry, sadly.
Also often called Boowells.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: October 24, 2012, 01:37:34 pm »

I've used pistols a few times to take down some aliens. It's also a good way to soften up a target for capture. Pistols aren't great, but sometimes it's better to get some damage in, then have to spend a turn reloading.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: October 24, 2012, 02:30:53 pm »

Plus, snipers have really good accuracy anyway... That's actually a good idea, but it requires a lot of upgrading and researching and the foundry, sadly.

Still though, maaad style points.

Just watched this poor fool get himself shredded by the alien base.  Over-extending and overestimating his own cover and survivability all the way...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: October 24, 2012, 03:40:06 pm »

It breaks the game but giving a focus to the Satalites especially early on pays off often much more then a science focus (I researched everything way before finishing the game, rushing, with only two labs side by side).

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: October 24, 2012, 03:42:51 pm »

It breaks the game but giving a focus to the Satalites especially early on pays off often much more then a science focus (I researched everything way before finishing the game, rushing, with only two labs side by side).

Heck I don't even have labs and I'm running out of things to research. So long as you keep researching things, and with interrogations for the credits...

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: October 24, 2012, 03:51:20 pm »

well, seems my last mission the game took a couple of opportunities to shit on me and my squad.

I tell my sniper to climb a truck. my mouse moves a single pixel. 'oh, you wanted her to dash in front of the vehicle at 3 floaters? OK!'
the first floater shoots: 9 damage critical.

then I get an opportunity to stun a 1 HP floater.
'AAAHHHH SHIT IT SHOT AT ME!'

so, I lose a sniper and a high probability stun target.

This is why I never want to play Ironman. And I play with autosaves.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: October 24, 2012, 04:10:59 pm »

Often I count the number of time I didn't need to load on a mission.

I've noticed that I have never had to restart a mission that was played fairly no matter how harsh the battle was.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: October 24, 2012, 04:12:57 pm »

I can count the number of times I restarted a mission on zero hands.  Life isn't fair, and you don't get redos there..
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: October 24, 2012, 04:15:52 pm »

I can count the number of times I restarted a mission on zero hands.  Life isn't fair, and you don't get redos there..

Lucky later on you can just outright break the game by taking advantage of the cheating the AI does.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: October 24, 2012, 05:19:16 pm »

Roughly 10% chance of 6 misses in a row at 36%. One out of ten times. Same as the chance of missing one shot at 90%.

Not terribly unlikely, to be honest. Why were you taking such terrible shots, by the way? And six of them? That just seems like a really bad idea.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: October 24, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »

32% to hit is 100% chance that hunkering down or overwatching is a better move.

I noticed playing Blood Bowl, Wesnoth, DCSS, etc. that people who get mad at the RNG element of a game are always over-reliant on it.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 625