Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960104 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4365 on: October 24, 2012, 03:06:38 am »

My alternate Support just did one of those miracle shots that, really, shouldn't work.

He ran up to a car trying to get a bead on a Thin Man, I thought he'd shoot around the station wagon, but no, he lines up the thin man through the car's windows, plus the car behind that, and the sedan behind that.  65% chance to hit, 10% crit.  he proceeds to rip the Thin Man a new one and scores the critical, killing it immediately, and setting the sedan in the middle alight - took a screen cap shortly after the hit but my image server won't let me log in to upload it.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: October 24, 2012, 03:14:42 am »

Lost an Assault Sergeant today. Shot down a medium UFO, went clearing the rooms, found an Outsider. Heavy missed two consecutive shots at 88% chances to hit, so I ran the Assault in from the other side of the room, hoping to shotgun it to death. She runs to within 2 squares of the thing, no cover that I can see...yet apparently the Outsider had full cover and the shotgun blast went wide at 66% odds. She got insta-critted on the Outsider's turn.

Oh, and I take back any dismissiveness I might have had about the Thin Men. Just three of the bastards wiped a squad of my best soldiers single-handedly a short time before this <_<;
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: October 24, 2012, 03:32:38 am »

The next DLC has been announced.

Not sure how excited I am about it. More council missions is pretty cool, but I think it'll depend on the cost as to whether I get it or not. I'd have been more interested in a new set of maps or an accents/language pack.

I find it weird they consider research to currently be balanced on a pinpoint. When for the most part I find I completely ignore it, never actively going for scientists on missions and the like, but still burn through the tech tree pretty damn quickly. How do other people play?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: October 24, 2012, 03:36:20 am »

The DLC they're offering doesn't seem that interesting. What WOULD be interesting? Tow words: Alien campaign. That is all.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: October 24, 2012, 03:51:18 am »

I have no labs, (unless they give you one at the start), not doing research 'cause they need some stupid parts I can't get enough of.
Weapon Fragments, it's always weapon fragments that is slowing me down, why the hell is that required for a research program I will never figure out.  And I apparently have 47 scientists, all working in alien containment, don't need to build labs, so it must be balanced about right.

/sarcasm
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: October 24, 2012, 04:48:38 am »

I built one lab, can't exactly remember why. I built a few workshops though since it provides more engineers and a manufacturing rebate. What I don't get is why more engineers reduces the cost of manufacture, and not the required time like it did in the original.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: October 24, 2012, 04:52:43 am »

I built one lab, can't exactly remember why. I built a few workshops though since it provides more engineers and a manufacturing rebate. What I don't get is why more engineers reduces the cost of manufacture, and not the required time like it did in the original.

Maybe they only have one manufacturing plant, so more engineers can't actually make things faster, as it is limited by machine speed, but they can hang around and catch useful bits that get cut off to be reused later.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: October 24, 2012, 04:55:22 am »

is the workshop that gives the lab and not the other way around, like the engi requiring more workshops to work?

I never understood which is which in this remake

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: October 24, 2012, 04:59:38 am »

I would love a meta-game campaign for multiplayer. Just look you have your campaign map, all territories, as you advance you must defend or attack a new terrritory, the attack mission would go like abduction mission instead its a territory you dont *have* OR a defense mission when another player have an *abduction turned attack mission*

You carry your squad how you see fit and fight against another human, your defense mission are tied to another player attack mission. Basicly when you click to go to that attack/defense mission mission it makes a quick-join match with somebody else about the same place in the game ( tie it to map time? ) so if you are 17june, your opponent will be 2 weeks off, either 1st june or 20 june this way it can be harder or easier, you never know.

AND i just realised it would be impossible as player would be too separated time-wise, what if somebody is in a 2yrs long game and nobody else plays... or something like that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:01:47 am by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: October 24, 2012, 07:35:48 am »

Do like Napoleon Total War with drop-in human opponents in the campaign.  You go into multiplayer and submit yourself as an opponent and then when somebody starts a mission it automatically connects you and gives you control of the aliens.

That could be interesting with so much at stake.  Can you imagine a terror mission with a human opponent?  The current alien spawning setup would have to be wrangled, leaving most of the enemies inactive wouldn't be much fun but neither would giving a human player 15 mutons on turn 1.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:37:26 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:22 am »

Yeah, just overlay it on the system we have now - The Alien player can choose, maybe, one "dark" squad to move per turn, and the others move about randomly, unless he's got active aliens, in which case he moves those instead. (Still able to see the location of dark squads and, for example, retreat his active aliens to them to trick you into triggering them).

Hmm... the problem with that is it really is a matter of "fall back until all guys are triggered" or otherwise going full defense with the aliens.

I suppose Terror missions would be the best candidate since that strategy would be weaker.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4376 on: October 24, 2012, 09:41:24 am »

Instead of making it even more scripted, I just wish they'd make it more sandboxy like the original. That and actual procedural maps. I hate playing the same maps repeatedly. The only ones I don't recognise are the ones at crash sites.

Also, I've been trying Classic Ironman playthroughs and it's impossible! I miss three +75% shots, and the enemy insta-crits me from across the map in full cover. This happens repeatedly! It's not even fun anymore. No matter how careful you are, if the enemy insta-crits you several times every mission your strategy just doesn't matter.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: October 24, 2012, 09:46:43 am »

So don't let them insta-crit you, duh.

Rockets, smoke, grenades (to remove cover) and point blank shots from assaults, plus squad sight sniper support - these are all your friends.

And remember - they can't crit you if you hunker down. But your out-of-range sniper can still crit them. ;)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: October 24, 2012, 09:51:39 am »

Instead of making it even more scripted, I just wish they'd make it more sandboxy like the original. That and actual procedural maps. I hate playing the same maps repeatedly. The only ones I don't recognise are the ones at crash sites.

Also, I've been trying Classic Ironman playthroughs and it's impossible! I miss three +75% shots, and the enemy insta-crits me from across the map in full cover. This happens repeatedly! It's not even fun anymore. No matter how careful you are, if the enemy insta-crits you several times every mission your strategy just doesn't matter.
If you have 75% chance to hit, the AI has at least that. =|

You're not being careful enough. Careful in this game means hunkering down even when you have 80% chance to hit. And then throwing a smoke grenade on yourself.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: October 24, 2012, 09:53:39 am »

I'm pretty sure Classic and Impossible are meant to be as unfair as possible.
Which is why I don't even want to touch them. Well, that and my female-operative only runs would be nigh impossible with the like 80% male/20% female chance, or worse, it seems to be to get them.
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 625