Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960168 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4320 on: October 23, 2012, 09:39:06 am »

Once they realized that they were using Gary Busey's strategy and it wasn't working they changed directions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LleBj6Q-Zng
Only a simple mind can be certain.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:27 am »

Hard to tell. XCOM 2012 has been a huge success (strong sales, good reviews, lots of traction) so someone (2KGames) might feel a desire to capitalize further. On the other hand, noone seems really interested in an XCOM FPS, and the reasonably comparable Syndicate FPS didn't do all that well.

edit: poorly sourced wikipedia snippet:
According to officially neither confirmed nor denied information obtained by Kotaku, as of October 2012 the game might be be "coming back as a third-person shooter. While the 1960s setting and general XCOM prequel vibe remains, it's now apparently being pitched as a squad-based game similar to SOCOM or Republic Commando" and "is being developed by the same people who created BioShock 2." According to rumors, the game would be released only for the PS3 and Xbox 360 and possibly as a $30 downloadable title. Kotaku commented, "All of which, if true, make it sound like 2K is set to pull an "I Am Alive", cutting its losses on a troubled project and trying to make the best of a bad situation by selling it on the cheap."
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:48:04 am by olemars »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: October 23, 2012, 10:04:56 am »

I doubt it's cancelled, it costs money to start. But they might've allocated resources towards other things. FPS games are not really trending, though, especially those which came out from a strategy game. Would make sense if business guys didn't pay attention to it.

There's kind of a potential for an XCOM FPS, if it goes the way of Interceptor. A FPS-Strategy would be fun.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: October 23, 2012, 10:09:45 am »

There's kind of a potential for an XCOM FPS, if it goes the way of Interceptor. A FPS-Strategy would be fun.

So... What X-COM Alliance was supposed to be if it was released? I'd be cool with that.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: October 23, 2012, 10:13:11 am »

There's a button for changing elevation view. Also there's a crouch button. Use it.
The elevation button either had me with a view that made only the wheels of the skyranger visible, or had the entire thing, but the insides completely obscured.

Am I bad at video games?

X-Com:UFO Defense has one active z-level at a time, like DF, and there are four.  When you are at "ground level" (1), you only see the wheels of the Skyranger - people inside are on level 2.  Also, remember line of sight, turning, and reaction fire - if an alien is behind you (or you are behind one), you need to turn around to see it; if it moves into view, and you have Time Units available, you'll get a shot (or three) off.  So if your first guy out is spotted by an alien, it will take a shot at him.

My strategy is to move one soldier out beside the ramp, behind the back wheels, for a bit of cover, and look around on their side.  Then move the view up, and move another soldier out the other side, in the same way.  Now having a view around, I move the others out of the Skyranger, in a loose circle.  After that, you can move out to whatever objectives you need, such as clearing buildings or going for the UFO.

Feel free to check out the UFOpedia for tips, spoilers, or whatever for any of the X-Com games.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: October 23, 2012, 10:13:21 am »

Still sad that it didn't go the way I imagined the FPS to go

As a prequil to Xcom and how the original Xcom was formed. (which we established ways that does and doesn't work)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: October 23, 2012, 10:32:41 am »

Well X-Com had a good deal of various game genres in the series starting at turn based and going through TPP space fighters and real time tactics.

Honestly a FPS wouldn't look odd in the bunch.

I'm more interested how are they want to interweave their game in the x-com mythos without turning it into a mess second only to sonic the hedgehog.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: October 23, 2012, 11:03:01 am »

There are many other FPS games.  What can a X-Com one do that others don't?  Tacked on "Stratergy"?  Meh...  I'll pass on that.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07:05 am »

Tacked on strategy, you say...?

ohmygod rainbow six with cyberdisks and chrysalids

I would totally play that.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: October 23, 2012, 11:20:56 am »

This?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPf_h0pLzU

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: October 23, 2012, 11:21:36 am »

That would be a VERY tough game to play to be honest and a even harder one to make

How do you make Plasma "better" for example.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: October 23, 2012, 11:27:59 am »

Did some modding last night and started up a new Classic Ironman campaign. Well...I started up two, but then realized that one of the Second Wave options is bugged and had to start over.

So I'm playing with the following changes:

Rifles can be used by any class.
Shotguns can be used by Rookies, Assaults, and Supports
Abduction and Terror UFOs should show up (haven't seen any yet, but then I only just put up my second Satellite)
Panicked units will only shoot 40% of the time instead of 50%. This will cut down on the friendly fire a little bit, although it also cuts down on the panic-kill of aliens.
Second Wave options have been enabled.

I'm running with these options enabled:
    Damage Roulette
    Not Created Equally
    Hidden potential
    High Stakes

The Second Wave options have a pretty huge impact on the game.

Damage Roulette has a surprisingly large effect. It basically drops the Minimum of all weapons down. This means that everything has a very high uncertainty. Grenades often only do 2 damage instead of 3, Stunning an Alien with 3 health has only a 70% chance to succeed, and you can lose a mission when your Heavy shoots the overcharging Scectoid for only 2 damage instead of killing it. Goes both ways, of course, since I've had plenty of alien shots hit for only 1 or 2 damage. Combat is a lot more tense when you can't actually rely on a hit taking out an enemy that has more that 1 hit point left.

Which reminds me, I was going to turn off enemy health. I'll have to do that.

Not Created Equally is interesting. I have one recruit with 56 Will and 80 Aim, and another with 24 Will and 48 Aim. You really have to pay attention to the stats of the people you bring along now. I imagine Hidden Potential will simply continue that trend.

High Stakes also has a pretty big impact. Since the rewards from doing missions are randomized a bit it can really impact the decisions you make. I haven't accepted a single Engineer reward mission on my current game, since they've all been 2 Engineers compared to the normal 4. The other rewards have been higher than normal, so I went with those. That is a bit problematic, though, since I can't build workshops yet since I don't have enough engineers. Not that it'd have mattered if I had taken the engineer missions since I lost the second Abduction mission because my guys couldn't actually kill anything when I needed them to.

Overall...it's a bit harder and feels more like a simulation than a boardgame. I do like being able to give rookies shotguns and my squaddie snipers rifles. It's been fun!

Oh, and avoid the Red Haze second wave option. It's bugged so that every units starts with a 15% aim penalty due to 'battlefield fatigue'. I routinely had shots against Sectoids in High Cover have only a 1% chance to hit. It was...brutal.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: October 23, 2012, 11:40:11 am »

Stunning an Alien with 3 health has only a 70% chance to succeed

Unless you've made a typo, that's how it normally is. Everything else seems awesome though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: October 23, 2012, 11:42:49 am »

Stunning an Alien with 3 health has only a 70% chance to succeed

Unless you've made a typo, that's how it normally is. Everything else seems awesome though.

Sure makes the stunner more important

Hidden potential though is weird to me... if only because a targeting range would fix that.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: October 23, 2012, 11:49:00 am »

This?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPf_h0pLzU

Ew.  Ubisoft.   :(
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 625