Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960174 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4305 on: October 23, 2012, 04:57:04 am »

(Actually, is plasma magnetic?)

Well, according to the current hypothesis in developing real-life plasma weaponry, you'd need a strong centralized magnetic field to keep the plasma stable en route to the target.  Otherwise it just fizzles out after an incredibly short distance.  So, if the aliens had somehow managed to find a way of creating a little projectile field to contain the plasma, then it would certainly be affected by other electromagnetic fields in the area.

So, to not answer your question at all...  Maybe/no.
Wait... wait. The definition of Plasma is a state of matter in which a certain portion of the atoms have been ionized. Ionizing an atom means you unbalance the charged subatomic particles, meaning the atom will have more protons than electrons, or more electrons than protons. This imbalance gives the atom a charge, either positive or negative depending on which way the balance is tipped.

Am I missing something? It seems like anything which would count as 'plasma' MUST have a magnetic charge due to the imbalance it requires to become plasma.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: October 23, 2012, 05:16:20 am »

(Actually, is plasma magnetic?)

Well, according to the current hypothesis in developing real-life plasma weaponry, you'd need a strong centralized magnetic field to keep the plasma stable en route to the target.  Otherwise it just fizzles out after an incredibly short distance.  So, if the aliens had somehow managed to find a way of creating a little projectile field to contain the plasma, then it would certainly be affected by other electromagnetic fields in the area.

So, to not answer your question at all...  Maybe/no.
Wait... wait. The definition of Plasma is a state of matter in which a certain portion of the atoms have been ionized. Ionizing an atom means you unbalance the charged subatomic particles, meaning the atom will have more protons than electrons, or more electrons than protons. This imbalance gives the atom a charge, either positive or negative depending on which way the balance is tipped.

Am I missing something? It seems like anything which would count as 'plasma' MUST have a magnetic charge due to the imbalance it requires to become plasma.

Yes, maybe, is probably the best way to answer if plasma is magnetic or not. Any given glob of plasma does not necessarily have an external net magnetic field, but it definitely has many small internal magnetic fields that are generated by motions of the charge carriers (electrons and nuclei) in the plasma. It will react very strongly to magnetic fields because the individual charge carriers do.

In short, there's a reason that universities have years worth of plasma physics courses, it's basically a science field in itself. Just see the wikipedia article!
Entropy is not what it used to be.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: October 23, 2012, 06:13:29 am »

So i just realised that this UFO was *special* but in what way i have no clue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1C-_P8v25E#t=35m55s

Anybody ever encountered a UFO like that?

In french he says "We found a new contact emitting strange signal, like if he were looking(searching) for something.

and man... he RAPED my interceptor as you will see ( im playing impossible btw )
Its a battleship. You'll likely need a firestorm to bring it down, or at LEAST something better than avalanche missiles.
Yeah i forgot to change loadout when i bought them, but still even with phoenix cannon or laser cannon i would have long, one hit 65% i tried to click abort as fast as possible but frack went down anyway, so unless changing weapons for something better also give an armor/hp bonus my ship would have been shot down before i get in range to fire.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: October 23, 2012, 06:31:12 am »

The reason Plasma is so accurate may have more to do with how little kick and weight it has

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: October 23, 2012, 07:21:00 am »

The reason Plasma is so accurate may have more to do with how little kick and weight it has

In a game where both plasma and laser weaponry have the same recoil as traditional projectile weaponry...

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: October 23, 2012, 07:25:51 am »

I tried playing XCOM: UFO Defense

I got to the point where I was landing a skyranger at a landed UFO and realized I had no idea what the hell I was doing.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: October 23, 2012, 07:28:39 am »

I got to the point where I was landing a skyranger at a landed UFO and realized I had no idea what the hell I was doing.

That is the correct way to play it.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: October 23, 2012, 07:38:08 am »

That is the correct way to play it.

Is it also correct to get one person out of the ranger, be unable to see anyone inside of the ranger anymore, accidentally press a button and get the one rookie you got off killed? I played with buttons and some seemed to change the view of what I was looking at but I never could figure out how to select anyone else, let alone actually get them off the damn thing...

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: October 23, 2012, 07:46:20 am »

There's a button for changing elevation view. Also there's a crouch button. Use it.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: October 23, 2012, 07:50:16 am »

There's a button for changing elevation view. Also there's a crouch button. Use it.
The elevation button either had me with a view that made only the wheels of the skyranger visible, or had the entire thing, but the insides completely obscured.

Am I bad at video games?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: October 23, 2012, 07:53:21 am »

The elevation button either had me with a view that made only the wheels of the skyranger visible, or had the entire thing, but the insides completely obscured.

Am I bad at video games?

No, classic Xcom likes to kick you in the groin for any little thing you do.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4316 on: October 23, 2012, 07:56:09 am »

Am I bad at video games?
No, the game is just old. You may be getting two 'clicks' when you hit the button or something. There should be a level which reveals the interior of the skyranger. regardless, there should be a button to switch to the next soldier and that will pop you back to the interior skyranger view iirc.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: October 23, 2012, 07:58:59 am »

Also remember that there are 4 different levels, and only one of them shows the inside of the skyranger.  You can see by hovering the cursor around on the battlescape to see which level you're "looking at".  You'll see a column, and each segment of that column is a level.

And yes, first man out is generally the guy who comes home in a box.  Whatever pieces they manage to find of him...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: October 23, 2012, 08:18:29 am »

The button that changes elevation is the ladder buttons with the up and down arrows.

NOT the "put roofs on things" buttons.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: October 23, 2012, 09:35:33 am »

So who thinks X-Com FPS has just been quietly cancelled? I honestly haven't heard anything about it since it got pushed back to next year.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 625