Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960212 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4245 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:48 am »

PvP works fine for me!  Kicking ass too, I've only lost one ranked match because floaters OP.  Seriously, 3 floaters, 2 heavy floaters, give them all kickass names like Killfuck Swordslaughter, flank everyone, if you can't flank use grenades, you can't lose.
Shoes...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: October 22, 2012, 10:33:16 am »

Yeah, I had a bunch of (elite) mutons/ethereal get wiped out in MP by my brother's elite XCom forces. A lone heavy floater camping on a roof took out ALL of the rest of his team. He didn't have assaults though.

MP is pretty damn awesome though. I'd watch people play it competitively.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: October 22, 2012, 10:36:08 am »

But... are floaters better than, say... cyberdisks?

I am so disappointed I didn't get to play. :(

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: October 22, 2012, 10:43:44 am »

Cyberdisks are op too, but too expensive, plus one of anything is a target.  In 10k, that's half your budget and it'll get focused.

So I guess not op.  Very strong though
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:46:19 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:40 am »

Do cyberdisks get cover? Not so OP if they do.

Though idk, those damn high level snipers seem more OP to me.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: October 22, 2012, 11:28:50 am »

I actually have to wonder if that ability is at all helpful...  With normal overwatch, you shoot when the enemy is moving...  I.E., probably not in cover.  This just uses up your overwatch turn by firing at someone who is almost certainly in cover, plus the accuracy debuff.

I had a full non-medic support in my last playthrough (Classic). When you get the class fully leveled, it's actually quite helpful. Not usually by itself, but in combination with other abilities. Specifically Suppression and the Support ability to get two reaction shots per turn.

For example: I was fighting a terror mission. I had my Heavy suppress a Heavy Floater and put my defensive Support on Overwatch. That forced the Floater to fire instead of moving to a better spot (and getting the -30 aim penalty for being suppressed). That gave my Support a free shot on him while still letter her get off an Overwatch shot on a Chryssalid that moved up during her turn.

I think the main idea about the overwatch giving you a shot when they fire is to let you gain the advantages of having someone on overwatch (keeping the AI from moving too much) while preventing your attack from being completely wasted when they just fire at your guys in cover instead of moving. By itself it's pretty weak most of the time, and wouldn't be worth the loss of the extra movement. It only really becomes truly useful when you combine it with other stuff. Even then, I'm not sure it's actually worth it compared to the movement skill.

I did like having a fully defense geared support, though. She was a great character and pretty awesome all around. I did need to have a dedicated medic in addition, though, so I'd say it's a viable 2nd Support option.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: October 22, 2012, 12:20:58 pm »

Behold! Mu-tan!

SO KAWAII
MU-TAN IS TSUNDERE 4 U DESU~
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: October 22, 2012, 03:24:06 pm »

As long as the're packed up in their flying disc form they get a defense bonus for being airborne, and a "hardened" perk that give a 60% defense against critical hits. They tend to die quickly in my single player missions though and aren't very scary.

Unlike the sectopod. The sectopod is scary.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: October 22, 2012, 03:43:22 pm »

Even in ironman the only damage a cyberdisc has done to me is throw a grenade, of course a disc throwing a grenade is a bit of a mindfuck

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: October 22, 2012, 03:47:05 pm »

Even in ironman the only damage a cyberdisc has done to me is throw a grenade, of course a disc throwing a grenade is a bit of a mindfuck

I've had a few cases where a disk will fly out of somewhere I can't see it to flank my guys and blast them. They've also gotten a few good hits off even when I was in cover.

They're much nastier early game, of course, when you can't withstand the grenade damage at all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: October 22, 2012, 03:49:27 pm »

As long as the're packed up in their flying disc form they get a defense bonus for being airborne, and a "hardened" perk that give a 60% defense against critical hits. They tend to die quickly in my single player missions though and aren't very scary.

Unlike the sectopod. The sectopod is scary.
Cyberdisk can be scary if they move straight next to your guy when you discover him and that guy cant move
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: October 22, 2012, 03:54:46 pm »

Do soldiers panic and whatnot in multiplayer?

I assume not.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: October 22, 2012, 04:10:23 pm »

Just remembered another good use of the Support's Reaction fire against shots as well as movement: When they get the Two Reaction shots ability they'll often be able to get two shots off a turn when enemies fire at your guys. Combined with smoke (either on round 2 or if you have another support) you can get a pretty good situation going where one guy is drawing fire while the Overwatch Support returns fire.

Still not as good as getting two regular shots, of course, but still handy sometimes.

Hmm...can't remember, but it might also let them return fire when suppressing someone themselves if that person fires instead of moving. Which is pretty cool.
Come play Mafia with us!

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: October 22, 2012, 04:11:44 pm »

Chryssalids, as it turns out, are surprisingly underpowered. They really don't justify their cost, as it seems most players using advanced soldiers can just instantly murder them.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: October 22, 2012, 04:14:47 pm »

Chryssalids, as it turns out, are surprisingly underpowered. They really don't justify their cost, as it seems most players using advanced soldiers can just instantly murder them.

It isn't that exactly.

It is more that their usefulness goes down the more powerful the enemy is.

Against weak soldiers they are very much worth their cost.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 625