Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960229 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4230 on: October 22, 2012, 07:48:17 am »

It definitely isn't. Smoke+Full Cover = Awesome.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: October 22, 2012, 07:57:48 am »

What does the equivalent Psi ability give? I never actually... used it. Is it also low cover equivalent?

Psi telekinetic field gives 40 defence
Smoke gives 20, can be upgraded to give another 20

And yes smoke being fired at your own units is a bit silly, do prefer original's use of it being for concealment, and also helping to render aliens unconscious.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4232 on: October 22, 2012, 08:26:34 am »

Several things still bother me about this game that I think would not be terribly hard to resolve.

1. You can't pick up a fallen teammate's gear. This ranges from annoying (Dammit he was the only one with an arc thrower...) to downright lethal (Welp there goes the last medic.)
2. Arc thrower is the only stun weapon, and has only two charges. How is it we can have unlimited pistol ammo, but can't bring extra batteries?
3. No melee weapons. Even a simple combat knife would be nice, for emergency holy-crap-alien-in-mah-face-and-I-need-to-reload times.
4. Fuck floaters. This isn't really a bug or anything, I just hate floaters. They flank my shit and kill my guys. :P

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: October 22, 2012, 09:20:14 am »

Several things still bother me about this game that I think would not be terribly hard to resolve.

1. You can't pick up a fallen teammate's gear. This ranges from annoying (Dammit he was the only one with an arc thrower...) to downright lethal (Welp there goes the last medic.)
2. Arc thrower is the only stun weapon, and has only two charges. How is it we can have unlimited pistol ammo, but can't bring extra batteries?
3. No melee weapons. Even a simple combat knife would be nice, for emergency holy-crap-alien-in-mah-face-and-I-need-to-reload times.
4. Fuck floaters. This isn't really a bug or anything, I just hate floaters. They flank my shit and kill my guys. :P

On #3, they probably didn't think of it since the pistol never needs reloading.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4234 on: October 22, 2012, 09:23:42 am »

On #3, they probably didn't think of it since the pistol never needs reloading.
Yeah, I just really enjoyed my melee-only playthrough of TFTD. Also the shock rod weapons were fun to smack aliens with for live captures.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25:38 am »

I'm... confused. Why do people keep calling the Outsiders a plothole?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Am I missing something here? Because I really thought the Outsiders were pretty well explained, if you make a few simple logical deductions.

This is still the best explanation for the Outsiders that I've seen, and it fits what I recall with the research (that the 'frequency' and psionics are related - the frequency is a psionic conduit).  It can even coincide with the "give X-Com a trail to follow" theory.  I don't know why you keep referring to just one Outsider, Neo, I saw at least three or four in my last game and at no point do they refer to it as though there is just one.

ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4236 on: October 22, 2012, 09:28:02 am »

Agreed, that is pretty much what I understood about the outsiders as well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: October 22, 2012, 09:37:24 am »

I kind of wish squads of outsiders could join in the fun during alien abduction missions and that you could use them in multiplayer.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: October 22, 2012, 09:39:00 am »

Has multiplayer actually ever worked for anyone? Despite trying forever, I succeeding in playing exactly 0 matches.

It only found someone once and apparently immediately dropped.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: October 22, 2012, 09:41:21 am »

Yeah, playing with randoms... Not likely to happen.

Played a few rounds with a friend though, good fun even if it was a bit buggy.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: October 22, 2012, 09:42:43 am »

Has multiplayer actually ever worked for anyone? Despite trying forever, I succeeding in playing exactly 0 matches.

It only found someone once and apparently immediately dropped.
I heard it was completely buggy. It took me quite awhile to find my one match too and that ended up with a dirty cheater anyway so it's not something I'll engage in again.

Though like Taricus said, it's pretty fun with a friend. Like anything is. Still really buggy though. We had unmovable units, invisible units, units stuck on ledges, massive lag, etc. etc.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: October 22, 2012, 09:45:11 am »

MP is just PvP stuff right? And you can't even directly pick what your squad will look like, which is kind of a bummer...

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: October 22, 2012, 09:48:24 am »

What I want:

Customization in MP... Including aliens

Dress up your sectoid in an adorable clown costume!
Female Mutons!
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: October 22, 2012, 09:49:11 am »

What I want:

Customization in MP... Including aliens

Dress up your sectoid in an adorable clown costume!
Female Mutons!

Maybe the Mutons already ARE female.
*Scare chord*

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: October 22, 2012, 09:49:22 am »

MP is just PvP stuff right? And you can't even directly pick what your squad will look like, which is kind of a bummer...
You can name them though. :P

I tried to name all my sectoids after my opponent to discourage him from killing them. Didn't really work.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 625