Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960254 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4215 on: October 22, 2012, 12:53:00 am »

On a side note: did anyone notice the humorous comment when you find the 'alien entertainment device?'
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My reaction to that the first time: "ENGI, YOU ARE A CONDESCENDING ASSHOLE."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: October 22, 2012, 12:57:43 am »

On the outsiders topic. Hasn't anyone here realized exactly when they stop showing up forever?

Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: October 22, 2012, 12:58:36 am »

Personally I think there is only ONE outsider.

Either that or the "they are part of an unfinished part of the game... ohh well"

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: October 22, 2012, 01:05:45 am »

On the outsiders topic. Hasn't anyone here realized exactly when they stop showing up forever?

This. Either that, or...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: October 22, 2012, 01:11:53 am »

Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: October 22, 2012, 01:27:14 am »

Personally I think there is only ONE outsider.

Either that or the "they are part of an unfinished part of the game... ohh well"

I don't quite get why you say this. You mean the Outsider as an entity that is not the crystal itself?

Because you can capture it multiple times. Until you research the key or use it or whatever, it doesn't stop showing.

Also, I've captured ships that had TWO Outsiders.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: October 22, 2012, 01:40:08 am »

So then it is the second part >_<

I still swear they were meant to have a more pernament role in the game.

As for what I meant... I meant I thought that perhaps unless you stunned it that it didn't "die" it just retreated.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:55:37 am by Neonivek »

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: October 22, 2012, 02:04:52 am »

I have to say I don't get the hate some people have for those who don't play Ironman. I thought about it, but considering the camera is really wonky inside UFOs with multiple floors, the risk of an accident misclick possibly resulting in a total team wipe is kiiind of crazy.

Well that and the sheer number of risks you cannot take in Ironman often slows down the game.

I've done perfect runs before and noticed a pattern. I either got fantastically lucky or I took absolutely no risk.

Yeah. All playing on Ironman does is remove the chance of you being able to un-do a misclick. Well, and save scum but that's a personal choice.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: October 22, 2012, 02:16:20 am »

Hey guy if you want to see a impossible terror mission with mostly all chysalid and a grand total of 29 kill and no loss! I i lost a man on the other mission i mixed up 2 mission ( for those who saw my post ).

Here have some fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwqJZdxIsYs

P.S.: Its in french but i believe you can decipher a bit of what im saying and the skill im using.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: October 22, 2012, 07:20:48 am »

The thing is that the enhanced movement of the Support isn't that useful in the grand scheme of things as extra movement since the Assault can do it better and the sniper doesn't need it.

I just explained how it is useful compared to Assault's Run and Gun.

Moving further while being able to use items, moving further without having to dash (so can move back if revealing aliens) and no cooldown. 3 simple points. Can be used defensively or offensively that's up to the player.

It's silly to try and take supports without their healing prowess into consideration, just for themselves it's like having 18 extra health (Sgt) (24 with upgrade) (30 for colonels+upg), that more then makes up for not being as offensively minded as the other classes by just being tankier.

2 Supports, 2 Heavies, 1 Assault, 1 Sniper is my bread and butter

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: October 22, 2012, 07:24:43 am »

I've actually been surprisingly tempted to run support with the grenade bonus. Smoke is just such wonderful stuff. Healing is nice, but not better than avoiding damage completely (while getting boosted)!

Not sure I think the "reaction shot versus shooting" would be worth it, though. The extra move is just SO good in so many ways. Versatility and mobility is the name of the game with support, and they are by far my favorite class.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: October 22, 2012, 07:36:09 am »

With the bizarre way smoke works in this game, I think it's more "Magical Forcefield Generator" than "Smoke Grenade".  I'm still kind of impressed with the original XCOM for designing a smoke grenade that actually worked like smoke, but still retained some small amount of usefulness (and also served the rather bizarre role of being a fire extinguisher).

Actually, come to think of it...  Has anyone tried throwing smoke on a Thin Man gas cloud?  Does this modern game support multiple tile effects?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4227 on: October 22, 2012, 07:39:46 am »

So just to clarify, the correct usage of the smoke grenade is to throw it at your own units right? Not throw it on the enemy, or 'between' the enemy and yourself?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: October 22, 2012, 07:45:44 am »

Yeah, smoke just gives a defense bonus equivalent to half cover for anyone inside the cloud (friend or enemy), so throwing it at enemies is counter productive. It's also pointless (I think) to use smoke on units that already have cover.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4229 on: October 22, 2012, 07:47:57 am »

What does the equivalent Psi ability give? I never actually... used it. Is it also low cover equivalent?
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 625