Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960281 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4185 on: October 21, 2012, 05:36:30 pm »

On the topic of outersider plot holiness, there's something even worse as far as plot holes go. That stupid tutorial mission. It starts with finding 2 people. The first has gashes on his face. Sectoids don't leave gashes. Thin men don't leave gashes. Floaters don't leave gashes. And, as per the game's plot, aliens beyond those units are not encountered early in the game (the 'ramping up of the invasion' is specifically mentioned in the game). Then there's the second one. A corpse who looked like he had been dead for weeks. And who died from having something burst from within him. You could possibly explain these both as crysallids... But it is fairly well established that crysallids don't show up on the scene until 2 months later, with the first terror mission. And such is even mentioned specifically by the scientist; having said that no similar units or tactics had been previously seen; that it breaks the pattern of activity seen from the aliens. Well in that case, how the bloody hell did those two dead/dying soldiers from the tutorial, whose bloody wrecks get their own mini-cutscene, receive their injuries? Then of course there is the normal, 3hp sectoid mind controlling the guy. That can slide, as we do at least know sectoids have mind-controll units; so it's probably more of a spectrum of ability than binary.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: October 21, 2012, 05:51:10 pm »

There is no ingame implication that the mind-controlling sectoid in 1st mission is the one you fight (scene show him running away, and after the cut another one is coming in). There is however a scene after alien base that say the sectoid commander there is the same one we met in 1st mission (or autopsy scene).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: October 21, 2012, 05:51:44 pm »

Its assumed that they were always there but you didn't see them.

Just like the sectoid commander.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: October 21, 2012, 05:52:05 pm »

On the topic of outersider plot holiness, there's something even worse as far as plot holes go. That stupid tutorial mission. It starts with finding 2 people. The first has gashes on his face. Sectoids don't leave gashes. Thin men don't leave gashes. Floaters don't leave gashes. And, as per the game's plot, aliens beyond those units are not encountered early in the game (the 'ramping up of the invasion' is specifically mentioned in the game). Then there's the second one. A corpse who looked like he had been dead for weeks. And who died from having something burst from within him. You could possibly explain these both as crysallids... But it is fairly well established that crysallids don't show up on the scene until 2 months later, with the first terror mission. And such is even mentioned specifically by the scientist; having said that no similar units or tactics had been previously seen; that it breaks the pattern of activity seen from the aliens. Well in that case, how the bloody hell did those two dead/dying soldiers from the tutorial, whose bloody wrecks get their own mini-cutscene, receive their injuries? Then of course there is the normal, 3hp sectoid mind controlling the guy. That can slide, as we do at least know sectoids have mind-controll units; so it's probably more of a spectrum of ability than binary.

Actually I think that the mind-controlling Sectoid is a commander, since I remember that during the base assault they mention its similarity to the Sectoid in the tutorial mission. Plus his colouration was much more like the Sectoid Commander than the Sectoid grunts. Plus, since only the fourth guy could see it and he died shortly after, the Commander would be able to run away from the mission. Why he didn't just mind-control the rest of XCOM, I have no idea.

I don't know how to explain the rest of the plot holes, however.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4189 on: October 21, 2012, 06:06:24 pm »

Why he didn't just mind-control the rest of XCOM, I have no idea.

Because his mind control was on cooldown :P
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: October 21, 2012, 06:10:27 pm »

Why he didn't just mind-control the rest of XCOM, I have no idea.

Because his mind control was on cooldown :P

Well that and there are limits... sorta...

Sadly even in a game like this there is a story and gameplay segregation.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: October 21, 2012, 06:19:48 pm »

Well, not really, since its seems to have been pretty well-establish that: 1. You can only <ind control one person at a time, and 2. You can only Mind control people near you. :P

Not to forget that you can also resist Mind control if you have a high enough mental defense!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:21:19 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: October 21, 2012, 06:26:36 pm »

Well, not really, since its seems to have been pretty well-establish that: 1. You can only <ind control one person at a time, and 2. You can only Mind control people near you. :P

Not to forget that you can also resist Mind control if you have a high enough mental defense!

You are forgetting the length of the mind control.

That and I THINK you could have survived that grenade.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: October 21, 2012, 06:32:11 pm »

Has anyone come across the worm hole that exists between North and South pole?

Wonder when they built that, better check the UFOpedia........oh, wait......
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4194 on: October 21, 2012, 06:33:56 pm »

You are forgetting the length of the mind control.

That and I THINK you could have survived that grenade.

Can you crit with a grenade? Otherwise yes, he should have survived that even on impossible difficulty(3 hp +1 hp from armour, grenade does 3 damage).

Has anyone come across the worm hole that exists between North and South pole?

Wonder when they built that, better check the UFOpedia........oh, wait......

Yep saw that on my first play through in Europe heading to Australia, I was confused as to why they initially headed north.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:36:09 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: October 21, 2012, 06:48:14 pm »

So I just got this game and was wondering if leaving the tutorial on affects the story in any way.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: October 21, 2012, 06:48:53 pm »

Yep saw that on my first play through in Europe heading to Australia, I was confused as to why they initially headed north.

That's what I was thinking.....Why are you pillocks going north?  Quicker to go South.....
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: October 21, 2012, 07:01:06 pm »

So I just got this game and was wondering if leaving the tutorial on affects the story in any way.

Not really, you get an extra tutorial mission (the one beibg discussed above) Wherei  you find so e dead German soldiers and your second in command gets 3/4:ths of the squad killed. You also get some free stuff by the council later, most notably a satellite, but that's not really anything story related. If you go without tutorial the tutorial missio gets replaced by a normal mission with four starter rookies.7´
Entropy is not what it used to be.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: October 21, 2012, 07:15:33 pm »

Yeah, about the only 'story' the tutorial tells you is "HAI THAR NEW PLAYER. YOU HAS MOUSE RITE!?!? YOU KAN CLIK WITH ITS BUTTON THINGEYS! I HELP LERN YOU HOW!! SEA THET PLAEC OVAR THIR!?! CLEEKC THER! DON'T WURRY, I HOLD MOWSE SO YOUS CANT CLIC IN RUNG PLAEC!!!!!!!11!ELVENTRY!!111!!!11!1!!!!!!!!11!!

O NOUS. FOR SOMEHOW YOU D00DS DIEDED  WHEN YOU CLIKDED THAT PLAYCE!!!!! MAEBEE YOU SHUD HOLD MOWSE FROM NOAW ON...."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:17:31 pm by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 625