Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960328 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4065 on: October 19, 2012, 11:22:47 pm »

I don't think the inability to trade weapons (or at least pick up medpacks from the fallen) is ever going to be a thing that will stop bugging me.

So, what are y'alls wishlist for the game, feature-wise? Mine's as such:

Ability to pick up equipment from fallen soldiers and generally swap equipment.
Ability to pick up wounded soldiers/knocked out aliens (though you obviously won't be able to dash or fight while carrying them.)
The previously mentioned more-interesting-npcs. And the previously hoped for ability to recruit from the ones that impress. ;)

With that, I think it would be possible to generate many even more interesting stories.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: October 19, 2012, 11:32:56 pm »

It's a pipe-dream, but a version with less structure.  Adding all these story elements really cuts into replay value, because I feel like I'm doing the exact same thing every time I start a new game for the first few hours.
Shoes...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: October 19, 2012, 11:36:31 pm »

Basically, I want more mission types and npc's that aren't useless as hell. Oh soldier on the bridge, where the hell did your gun go? Get the fuck over here and help. Oh hi mr general, wait, were you seriously down here without a weapon? I thought you came here to fight! Ass.
You don't understand. He was going to go hand-to-hand fistfighting with those sectoids.
I see nothing wrong with that plan.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: October 20, 2012, 12:04:37 am »

Basically, I want more mission types and npc's that aren't useless as hell. Oh soldier on the bridge, where the hell did your gun go? Get the fuck over here and help. Oh hi mr general, wait, were you seriously down here without a weapon? I thought you came here to fight! Ass.
You don't understand. He was going to go hand-to-hand fistfighting with those sectoids.
I see nothing wrong with that plan.

I bet sectoids are incredibly easy to beat up in hand to hand.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: October 20, 2012, 12:21:01 am »

Well Hanslanda a human punch DOES do 9 damage.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: October 20, 2012, 12:22:35 am »

How much health does a Sectoid have? I got this game, but I've only got a single-core, so I can't actually play it yet.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4071 on: October 20, 2012, 12:23:55 am »

How much health does a Sectoid have? I got this game, but I've only got a single-core, so I can't actually play it yet.

4 HP if i recall correctly, 5 if another Sectoid's using Mindmeld or whatever it's called on it.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: October 20, 2012, 12:24:22 am »

the regular sectoid troop has 3 health on normal.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: October 20, 2012, 12:25:01 am »

So, on normal, a human punch (allegedly) hits hard enough to kill three sectoids. At the same time.
He's fucking with us.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: October 20, 2012, 12:28:50 am »

3 HP on Normal and Classic, 4 HP on Impossible. Add 1 HP if mind merged from another Sectoid.
(Not sure about Easy health.)

Difficulty-level based health is actually really interesting, and it's one of the things I think the devs did really well. Compare Normal to Classic. Sectoids have 3 HP in both modes. Thin Men go from 3 -> 4. Floaters have 4 in both.

And then you have Outsiders, who have 3 HP in Normal and 5 HP in Classic. Notably, 3 HP is the cutoff for 'easy' stunning with an Arc Thrower, meaning you can semi-reliably stun a full-health Outsider on Normal, but you've got to weaken it first on Classic. Seeing as how one of the major story objectives is to stun an Outsider...

So, on normal, a human punch (allegedly) hits hard enough to kill three sectoids. At the same time.
Only if they are first killed and resurrected as a semi-mobile alien cocoon.  ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: October 20, 2012, 12:30:43 am »

I really dislike what they did with outsiders in this game.

They were truely throw away and they didn't know what to do with them at all.

Yes Thexor but those things don't possess super strength.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: October 20, 2012, 12:38:57 am »

Sure they do, they can claw through Titan armor.  Maybe the zombies are just a dead flesh cocoon and the chryssalid is actually what puts the force behind the swings.

Maybe it's a video game and making zombies do 2 damage wouldn't be interesting or fun.

When you can only have one, fun trumps realism.
Shoes...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: October 20, 2012, 01:23:05 am »

Sure they do, they can claw through Titan armor.  Maybe the zombies are just a dead flesh cocoon and the chryssalid is actually what puts the force behind the swings.

Not a cocoon... A chrysalis :D

But yeah; if it uses a human body at maximum strength, without the normal self-preservation limits, you could get like twice the strength from it. And beyond that, you have a developing cryssalid; whose development may or may not make it even stronger. Then the cryssalid's combat ability; which are likely way better than any human's. So you're looking at about the equivalent of Bruce Lee as far as fighting ability goes. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: October 20, 2012, 02:32:42 am »

Except that a Crysalid has toxins, sharp claws, Supperior leverage, chittin support and it STILL does less damage (7+toxins). A zombie lacks full control of its movement, is losing several life sustaining organs (a zombie is essentially dying), does shambling punches, and is suffering muscular death and it still manages to punch everyone out.

Just admit it. Bruce Lee could probably punch a Cyberdisc to death in a single turn.

It probably hurts it that Crysalids just don't have the same fear factor they once had when they were unstoppable killing machines.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:34:32 am by Neonivek »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: October 20, 2012, 02:51:06 am »

I feel that this game could benefit from a few more mission types. "The police station in under attack, police officers are holed up inside, go save as many as you can" or "The army is combating mutons but need support clearing out a concentration of them". I'd enjoy working with npc's that could actually fight. Especially if you could give them a general tactic, like choices of "suppress and stay back" or "move up with us".

Of course, this would have to be balanced out by the npc's dying in one hit and having shite accuracy. Don't want to make it too easy.

If they make a sequel similar to Apocalypse, I'm pretty sure they're going to add that. I think they didn't want to stray too far from the old XCom taste (though the bomb missions did that) and adding fighting NPCs add another factor to balance. It would've been trivial to add a pistol attack on a NPC, but they didn't want to do that on purpose.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 625