Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960341 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4020 on: October 18, 2012, 11:57:30 pm »

Because of how the game is structured... trying to flank yourself is a practice of suicide since moving closer to the enemy gives you a chance of drawing more enemies.

There are a few exceptions to this but generally speaking... you do NOT want to experience 9 aliens attacking you at once. I've only fended something like that off without casualties twice.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: October 19, 2012, 12:34:42 am »

Because of how the game is structured... trying to flank yourself is a practice of suicide since moving closer to the enemy gives you a chance of drawing more enemies.

There are a few exceptions to this but generally speaking... you do NOT want to experience 9 aliens attacking you at once. I've only fended something like that off without casualties twice.

Totally agree.  I was fooled into thinking it might work because a review I read claimed impossible "will teach you to use flanking in a whole new way", and because I tried flanking the enemy in my second try at the first mission in impossible and killed all of the enemies with no casualties, after revealing all of them at once.

I did invent a new tactic for ambushing the aliens: hide as many squad members as possible (aka put them behind the middle of a three wall section wall) and then pull back the rest of the squad a good ways back but still in sight of the ambush.  The aliens should advance until they can shoot the visible parts of the squad, hopefully you left those guys in good cover.  Then use the ambushing soldiers to either destroy their cover or kill their most vulnerable elements, while advancing the "lure" portion of your squad and opening fire as normal. Note: if you don't use a lure, you won't be able to see the aliens, meaning there's a good chance they'll find you on their first move and be flanking you when they shoot.

This strategy let me kill the "giving" portion of a mind meld when I had only two men left, or it would have if the ambusher hadn't missed a wounded sectoid that was out of cover.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: October 19, 2012, 02:03:39 am »

Is it wrong that the more I play this, the more I want to make a Tabletop RPG form of this?
Sid and Jake actually built tabletop prototypes while developing the game. That's apperently the Sid Meier's method.

That explains why it's so tabletop-ish, what with the half/full cover. I like it, though.

Can't you just use the classic X-Com method of putting a rookie in front to die first and then having the veterans blast them from the rear?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: October 19, 2012, 02:30:31 am »

Can't you just use the classic X-Com method of putting a rookie in front to die first and then having the veterans blast them from the rear?

You can, to a point. Remember, though, that in classic X-Com you had 14 soldiers per mission, many of which could be rookies with nothing but electroflares (so they didn't panic and kill your vets). Here, you've got 6 soldiers, which gives you fewer slots for expendable scouts. Also, remember that in classic X-Com everybody had the 'Squadsight' perk, whereas now you need to move your vets within firing range after the rookie spots the aliens. (Or wait patiently for the aliens to come to you...)

If you're going to put something out front to draw fire, consider a SHIV (more health, can't panic, can shoot half-decently) instead of a rookie. You're still better off not attracting the attention of 9 enemy forces at once, though.  ;)

...in fact, one of the best tricks for avoiding alien swarms is to abuse battle scanners. The aliens only get their scatter move when they see you, not the other way around. Battle scanners let you locate the aliens without them locating you, at which point the game kinda glitches out and gives you visibility of their HP bars even after the scanner shuts off. You can then trigger their scatter move whenever you want... say, by tossing a grenade over a wall, or free-aiming a rocket at them, or even landing a Squadsight shot if you're quick. Pre-scatter, the aliens tend to be bunched up and out of cover, which means a preemptive attack is ridiculously powerful.

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: October 19, 2012, 03:36:48 am »

I encountered something strange and very frustrating today.
(spoiler about one of the random council missions)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: October 19, 2012, 03:46:59 am »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: October 19, 2012, 03:54:05 am »

You didn't defuse it in time? You know those little green things can be used to increase number of turns for bomb to arm?

I read that aliens can apparently re-arm the bomb as well but rarely happens because you normally have people around the bomb anyway when the Aliens leap in.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: October 19, 2012, 03:54:26 am »

I got into a bad situation in the police station terror mission. Took along a plasma alloy shiv for the first time ever, ran it in, revealed...

I actually saved most of the civvys inside, let my shiv draw fire and I had three guys in ghost armour who ran around and saved the civvies before they even realised I was there. Then I fired two rockets, used double tap, rapid fire and then used flush to force the last muton in front of my shiv. I felt like a badass for getting excellent on everything that mission.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: October 19, 2012, 03:57:23 am »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: October 19, 2012, 04:01:16 am »

the central command guy said something (didn't have headphones on)

I hate when games provide important details by voice and doesn't provide a recap on the mission screen.

Now I have subtitles enabled, but I still have to remember stuff people say if I save and resume at a later date.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4030 on: October 19, 2012, 04:13:28 am »

^Yeah, but to be fair it wasn't like this in the original, the actual hulls of the alien ships could take a pounding.

:'( Nine (twelve?) mutons a cyberdisk and two drones vs. a Lt. a Sgt and three squaddies... So. Much. Blood.

Also, what is my best bet for capturing the sectoid commander? Brainy jerk always forces me too kill him by mind controlling my best troops.
I did it by having my assault with the arc thrower go in alone after we'd murdered all of the other aliens in the base. If the assault got mind controlled, it didn't matter because it wears off in 3-4 turns. Everyone else was just off in another room waiting. Eventually he pistol-shot the thing down to 1 hp and stunned him.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: October 19, 2012, 04:39:24 am »

Oh, right, there are SHIVs, lol. But squaddies are so cheap and they can carry nice stuff and grapple to the roof :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4032 on: October 19, 2012, 05:03:00 am »

Would be nice if we could outfit shivs with stun weapons.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: October 19, 2012, 05:05:49 am »

Psi Troop + Ghost Armour = OP

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: October 19, 2012, 06:03:33 am »

Oh, right, there are SHIVs, lol. But squaddies are so cheap and they can carry nice stuff and grapple to the roof :P

If you're ever attacking a ship that you know is going to have a Psi alien on board, they're actually worth taking. Let your sniper take it from halfway across the map while it's helpless to defend against your little robot friend.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 625