Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960392 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3975 on: October 18, 2012, 01:52:07 pm »

The trick to spotting psionically gifted personnel is the rate at which will goes up, rather than the amount. Pre iron-will, if a squaddie has about 46-47 will, they'll likely be psionically gifted. Post IR, they'd have 50 or more.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: October 18, 2012, 01:56:08 pm »

Bullshit happens. This is why my snipers are always in a position to help, even inside alien ships. Disabling shot is the best thing when your guys are mind controlled.
I did use it, but then I had to run them out after the mind controlled soldier reloaded right next to one of my snipers. At the time, before the bullshit happened, I thought that doing that wouldn't hurt.

Then suddenly flankers through the wall.

Edit: Also, oh mah gawd I finally got a second Psionic soldier after screening so many raw recruits and all my veterans.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:01:01 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: October 18, 2012, 02:02:59 pm »

Are you playing on normal or easy?  Maybe you hit the cap on the number of enemies on screen, so the Muton you injured earlier resumed 'patrol' once he got out of sight and some more enemies showed up.

Nope, Classic all the way.

The Alien Base is pretty buggy, though. So maybe it's just that. Being able to see and shoot through giant stone walls is already pretty silly...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: October 18, 2012, 02:46:15 pm »

Are there any giant stone walls in the base?  I thought it was a series of platforms in a giant open cavern, you can even see some kind of alien organs pulsing in the distance.
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: October 18, 2012, 02:48:28 pm »

Are there any giant stone walls in the base?  I thought it was a series of platforms in a giant open cavern, you can even see some kind of alien organs pulsing in the distance.

Well...in the section I'm in there are large stone walls that block my line of sight to the enemies. Doesn't seem to stop people from seeing or shooting through it, though. Maybe a graphics glitch? It is kinda funny seeing my people blowing away enemies through what looks like a solid wall, I suppose.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: October 18, 2012, 03:09:08 pm »

Are they overwatch shots? The problem with the "truesight" system they seem to use is that it'll trigger overwatch if they're seen for only half a second through a gap between one wall and another. Of course, the game doesn't get your guys to shoot on time and will always aim for the chest/head rather than whatever is visible. Other times its just to late to trigger and it'll fire when its a tile to far.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: October 18, 2012, 03:17:15 pm »

Anyone thinks it is possible something along the line of ufo defence single mission challenge?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: October 18, 2012, 03:44:11 pm »

Are they overwatch shots? The problem with the "truesight" system they seem to use is that it'll trigger overwatch if they're seen for only half a second through a gap between one wall and another. Of course, the game doesn't get your guys to shoot on time and will always aim for the chest/head rather than whatever is visible. Other times its just to late to trigger and it'll fire when its a tile to far.

I think they were plain old regular shots.
Come play Mafia with us!

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: October 18, 2012, 03:56:18 pm »

Actually, the game says they experience a small plenty to aim. Then again, its effectively a free shot on anyone who moves, so I guess its worth it.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: October 18, 2012, 04:01:10 pm »

Anyone thinks it is possible something along the line of ufo defence single mission challenge?

I assume you're talking about this?

In short, no. Ignoring features like panic (which will kill you in this challenge), you still need to complete a number of story missions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Panic would also be a huge problem. Using the 'shoot down abduction ships' mod might help. Dumping all your money into satellite coverage could also help.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: October 18, 2012, 04:11:49 pm »

Fixed it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:32:42 pm by alway »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: October 18, 2012, 04:17:04 pm »

Your Spoiler is broken.
Come play Mafia with us!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: October 18, 2012, 05:00:55 pm »

Also for everyone who dont know, overwatch shot are taken with a 20%? anyway its the same as if they were in half cover, unless you have that sniper ability wich remove the said overwatch penalty.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: October 18, 2012, 05:12:08 pm »

Huh... the 'dungeon view' actually shows the stuff you build...  all of it is under the engineering department.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 18, 2012, 05:21:51 pm »

Huh... the 'dungeon view' actually shows the stuff you build...  all of it is under the engineering department.

Dungeon view?
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 625