Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960399 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3960 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:41 am »

damn you guys and your spoilers, lalalala exiting this thread  :o
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: October 18, 2012, 10:46:25 am »

damn you guys and your spoilers, lalalala exiting this thread  :o

Yeah... I got quite a bit of spoilers >_<

At least the final mission wasn't spoiled.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: October 18, 2012, 11:23:44 am »

Let's agree it's a playstyle choice :P

I just prefer doing more damage/blowing cover then getting defence from being 1-shotted, especially for rookies with their low aim and high panic, sometimes its better if they die rather then have 1hp panic and screw you over.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: October 18, 2012, 11:29:00 am »

Let's agree it's a playstyle choice :P

I just prefer doing more damage/blowing cover then getting defence from being 1-shotted, especially for rookies with their low aim and high panic, sometimes its better if they die rather then have 1hp panic and screw you over.

I actually found a good balance between defense and power.

My two snipers for example are a Snapshot sniper and a Squadsight sniper. Between those two I can clear entire groups of enemies on their own.

One reason I don't exactly like the skill tree in the game is that they are deceptive. A LOT of the skills seem based on earlier choices making the choices often moot. A Squadsight sniper and a Snapshot sniper are both going to be pretty much the same in their build except minor details.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: October 18, 2012, 11:35:15 am »

Beat the game once already on Classic Ironman mode, thanks mostly to my Captain Ranked Sniper 'Baroness' and my two Captain ranked assaults(Geronimo and Talon Prime) who happen to also be the only two to test positive for the Psy gift.

Final mission was a cake walk because Teamsight/Doubletap + Run&Gun/AlloyCannons/RapidFire + Mindcontrol = OP as hell. So OP in fact that in this run I've decided to forgo Teamsight on snipers altogether. The life-expectancy on my snipers has never been so low...
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: October 18, 2012, 12:05:03 pm »

Grrr. Stupid teleporting Muton managed to appear right behind my guys and blast my best Assault in the back before my support got a reaction shot off on him (from him shooting).

There was no path for him to get back there without going through the overwatch arc of several soldiers. Also, this isn't a brand new muton, this is one who I'd already heavily damaged with a rocket a few turns ago.

So how did he get there?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: October 18, 2012, 12:11:31 pm »

I actually found a good balance between defense and power.

My two snipers for example are a Snapshot sniper and a Squadsight sniper. Between those two I can clear entire groups of enemies on their own.

One reason I don't exactly like the skill tree in the game is that they are deceptive. A LOT of the skills seem based on earlier choices making the choices often moot. A Squadsight sniper and a Snapshot sniper are both going to be pretty much the same in their build except minor details.

I don't like Snapshot sniper that much. I do have aggressive snipers with gunslinger (I love gunslinger), but because of gunslinger I don't feel the need to take snapshot for the sniper, that being said though I can see a truly dangerous sniper flanking a bunch of enemies with snapshot and In the Zone to just mop them all up.

Btw in regards to Psi Testing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---
Grrr. Stupid teleporting Muton managed to appear right behind my guys and blast my best Assault in the back before my support got a reaction shot off on him (from him shooting).

There was no path for him to get back there without going through the overwatch arc of several soldiers. Also, this isn't a brand new muton, this is one who I'd already heavily damaged with a rocket a few turns ago.

So how did he get there?

Very sneaky Muton. AFAIK once an enemy has been spotted (and do their "hmm? oh they see me!" animation) they don't teleport (except floaters). I have had issues with sneaky thinmen. Also the game has some design flaws so some animations and close-ups actually obscure other movement so sneaky Muton might have moved during some close-up. Or maybe you just missed it :P

But yeah "patrolling" Aliens can bypass LOS to sneak up behind you but not spotted ones.

At least AFAIK :P

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: October 18, 2012, 12:16:23 pm »

Oh, for people who didn't get the pre-order DLC, you can enable it in the ini files. I'll post it here but i'll remove it if it breaks any rules.

This worked for armor color but it still says that armor decals are "not available". :/ And naturally the Guile hair is missing, perhaps that file isn't already in the game.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: October 18, 2012, 12:17:16 pm »

Spoiler: Psychics (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: October 18, 2012, 12:17:51 pm »

Yeah, it's weird. He had to have teleported, because for him to have gotten to the spot he did he would have to have walked through one of three corridors, all of which were being covered by guys on overwatch.

Maybe they've developed Ghost Armor  :o
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: October 18, 2012, 01:07:42 pm »

Yeah, it's weird. He had to have teleported, because for him to have gotten to the spot he did he would have to have walked through one of three corridors, all of which were being covered by guys on overwatch.

Maybe they've developed Ghost Armor  :o

Elite Mutons with ghost armor makes me want to assume the fetal positions and weep.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: October 18, 2012, 01:12:37 pm »

Are you playing on normal or easy?  Maybe you hit the cap on the number of enemies on screen, so the Muton you injured earlier resumed 'patrol' once he got out of sight and some more enemies showed up.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: October 18, 2012, 01:22:35 pm »

Spoiler: Psychics (click to show/hide)

my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: October 18, 2012, 01:33:50 pm »

You know what really, really sucks? Having your only psionics soldier in the game mind controlled by an Ethereal while it was out of sight, and then having it run away, fly outside the ship, up a ladder, and through a solid wall halfway up the ladder with it's Elite Muton and have the Ethereal get a free shot while a squad of 3 Heavy Floaters come up the front and my snipers are way behind and pretty much unable to assist besides killing the Muton.

I'm not kidding. That really happened. I didn't lose anyone, but I have one of my favorite guys Gravely Wounded yet again (meaning more Will reduction, yay!), and 3 others in medbay. Goddammit game...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:35:27 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: October 18, 2012, 01:48:49 pm »

Bullshit happens. This is why my snipers are always in a position to help, even inside alien ships. Disabling shot is the best thing when your guys are mind controlled.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 625