Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960395 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3945 on: October 18, 2012, 07:08:21 am »

Nano-weave isn't useless at all. Early on in classic if you don't take it on the people who are going to be drawing fire, you're going to lose them in one shot. Every time. On normal scopes all the way though.

For terror missions:

Chitin plating went on my assaults, as well as the beefiest armour i had. My support had a medikit and usually a scope. That way when i'm moving up they can take out anything my assaults don't kill and patch them up after. If they had the perk that lets the get two shots on overwatch, even better. 6hp per medikit is more than enough to survive a mission.

Heavies really did depend on how I was building them. Early on I was building them for maximum damage so they usually got a scope and if not, a cover destroying grenade. Snipers of course always got a scope, considering they just have to grapple to something tall and sit there the entire mission.

Later on heavies changed up and I built them around suppression instead. Plasma lmg's with mayhem are a 100% chance to do three damage to whatever you target, whatever is in two squares of them and it will suppress them all. If you use holo targeting, everyone will probably take them out in that turn. Its really quite useful.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:13:03 am by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3946 on: October 18, 2012, 07:12:32 am »

Snipers become hilariously powerful when you get jetpacks. Just fly them up high and double tap everything in sight of anything :-D

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: October 18, 2012, 07:18:26 am »

Snipers become hilariously powerful when you get jetpacks. Just fly them up high and double tap everything in sight of anything :-D

That's mostly because jetpacks don't use fuel when hovering.
I Believe they will patch it up sooner than later.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: October 18, 2012, 07:20:29 am »

Ugh I can't get multiplayer working. Just seems to randomly disconnect early on, sometimes before I even get my turn/finish it.

I want to try out my random evil tactics like

1 Sniper w/Squadsight in back
1 Psi-Assault w/Titan armour scouting and MC'ing

or Heavy Squad with grapples = Suppresion + Rockets.

---

I like 'In the zone' as well, can just clear waves of chyrsalids, drones and anyone out of cover. And it works with pistol for one free shot as well :D, though double tap might be better vs those damned sectopods.

Nano-weave isn't useless at all. Early on in classic if you don't take it on the people who are going to be drawing fire, you're going to lose them in one shot. Every time. On normal scopes all the way though.

I dunno, pretty much it's only rookies who die in one hit or squaddie getting crit'd and I feel (especially for rookies) that a frag grenade is more useful (for rookies) and guaranteed source of damage, sure it can't kill anything tougher then a sectoid but it's great for blowing up cover/creating walls

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: October 18, 2012, 07:24:43 am »

That's mostly because jetpacks don't use fuel when hovering.
I Believe they will patch it up sooner than later.

Most engagements are over within 12 turns anyway. I don't see how it would change anything.

Sharp: Multiplayer is broken right now, barely anyone can play.

Early on, how I used to play was a rookie had a nanoweave, one had a medikit and two had grenades. Explosions really are the way forward on higher difficulties.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3950 on: October 18, 2012, 07:39:01 am »

Explosives are amazing for clearing enemy cover. My heavy with extra grenades and rockets made sure no enemy units had cover. It may not do a ton of damage, but that isn't the point.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3951 on: October 18, 2012, 08:12:25 am »

Finally beat the game, and without spoiling anything let's say things culminated in a damn tense final push.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:32:49 pm by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: October 18, 2012, 08:23:27 am »

Oh, for people who didn't get the pre-order DLC, you can enable it in the ini files. I'll post it here but i'll remove it if it breaks any rules.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3953 on: October 18, 2012, 08:37:16 am »

Oh, for people who didn't get the pre-order DLC, you can enable it in the ini files. I'll post it here but i'll remove it if it breaks any rules.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Considering that it is just a pre-order bonus and not a paid DLC, I don't see how it could be against any rules to post. You aren't bypassing restrictions to access paid content, just enabling a feature which already exists in the game but is off by default. If they wanted to prevent it, they could have done so easily.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: October 18, 2012, 09:21:26 am »

Poison spit is kinda non-issue in any armor, since 1 HP/turn is really slow and it's curable. Only had one char die to poison, because I was fleeing with a guy with 1 hp, and derped through a poison cloud. But I'm guessing there's some higher damage poison I haven't come across yet.

Count me in the group that respected it, at least early game:

- It got used early in the game on me when my guys only had a few hp,  mid to late game it was a don't-care ability.
- It also got used any time you had 2 guys next to each other, so you're often dealing with two poisoned dudes
- Medkit doses are pretty tight early in the game
- Poisoned dudes get an accuracy penalty, making them much less effective, which sucks if you're still at 4 man squads size.
- and oh man, the panicking.  My early troops would go into freaking tantrum spirals whenever they got poisoned.  I lost 3 of 4 in one mission because two people panicked at the first taste of poison, then proceeded to shoot up their own team while Thin Men were all over them.

Re: nano-weave/chitin, it gets thrown on all my Assaults.  Their job is to be the nearest, easiest targets for the aliens, so they need to soak the hits.  Your guys are going to get hit eventually no matter how crappy the odds, so why not strat it out so that its certain guys that take those hits?  Needless to say they're defensively spec'd.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: October 18, 2012, 10:11:25 am »

For a measly 2hp I really don't feel nano-weave is worth it when you can have a frag grenade or a SCOPE or medkit. I mean technically even a medkit is better on rookies due to healing 4 hp (or 6 with upgrade), frag grenades as discussed before are great for blowing cover and securing kills for rookies to make sure they get promoted quickly.

For me it is totally a waste of money, especially as you can't sell it which makes me sad, just have to hope you get an order for it from council.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: October 18, 2012, 10:21:10 am »

Actually, I find it's pretty useful in the early game. You can take one plasma pistol hit with the basic armour and the nanoweave (Providing the shot doesn't crit or do four damage) and still keep the person hit out of the medbay.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: October 18, 2012, 10:22:13 am »

For a measly 2hp I really don't feel nano-weave is worth it when you can have a frag grenade or a SCOPE or medkit. I mean technically even a medkit is better on rookies due to healing 4 hp (or 6 with upgrade), frag grenades as discussed before are great for blowing cover and securing kills for rookies to make sure they get promoted quickly.

For me it is totally a waste of money, especially as you can't sell it which makes me sad, just have to hope you get an order for it from council.

It stops you from getting one shot in the early game by a crit. For people that went to carapace armor ASAP, it's not a worthy use of a slot. When you're still running normal armor, it can be the thing the thing that stops you from losing 2 or more soldiers a mission.

And ninja'd.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: October 18, 2012, 10:28:14 am »

Well, that +2hp is often the difference between getting one-shot, and surviving.  It takes a certain strat to use them and I'm not going to argue those other items aren't useful.  I will argue that if you are playing all-offense and not creating defensive squad members, that you are going to have a higher mortality rate and will have to accept the inevitable loss of experienced people to one-shot crits.

Dangit, double-ninja'd!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:32:16 am by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: October 18, 2012, 10:28:57 am »

I got more Nanoweave then I needed because I accidently thought it was a real armor type.

Its major use is to give it to Rookies and Squaddies so they don't die in a single attack. So having 1 or 2 is useful.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 625