Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960473 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3855 on: October 17, 2012, 04:43:56 am »

I just completed normal ironman. Was I the only one who never got psi-attacked through-out the game? Normal was actually much easier than I anticipated, losing a guy was very rare even on the hardest of settings. Ethereals, when found, never got a single turn to take.

I'm on my third normal ironman game (lost the first two). Lol, I feel like a horrible player now.

Maybe if you don't lose a guy early on, you end up not losing anyone later on? As the skill sets get really powerful after the 4th level or so. I'd put my second defeat on losing too many priority team members over a long period of time.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: October 17, 2012, 05:02:09 am »

I'm on my third normal ironman game (lost the first two). Lol, I feel like a horrible player now.

Maybe if you don't lose a guy early on, you end up not losing anyone later on? As the skill sets get really powerful after the 4th level or so. I'd put my second defeat on losing too many priority team members over a long period of time.

There is a lot of luck involved, the game has a horrible cascade effect.
If you do well (either through luck or skill) you have better troops, more sats up, more money/engineers from missions, which in turn mean you can build more useful things, tech and sats.
If you do poorly (again luck or skill, or just silly mistakes when you weren't thinking) you not only loose troops but also the rewards and increase panic so good chance of loosing areas and not being able to afford sats. On top of that areas lost to panic don't seem to get picked for abduction missions so there is more concentration of panic in the continents you still have.

Really they should have made countries pay more the higher the panic was, until you lost a country, just so players who are unlucky or plain aren't as good get a little more help.

Best start I had let me have two sats up the end of first month, five the second, ten by the third and complete coverage by the forth. At which point you have so much resource it's hard to lose.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: October 17, 2012, 06:07:05 am »

Impossible ironman has apparently been done now. Lucky son of a bitch.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3858 on: October 17, 2012, 08:27:03 am »

Hours played: infinite.

Classic: They seem to never move in overwatch range if you are on overwatch AND if any of them sees the overwatcher.

Also, I was about to ask that. I noticed that on normal if you overwatch not only do they not move, they also do not attack. Which is weird, because generally overwatch does not kick in if an enemy fires without an ability I've never chosen.

Maybe I lost so fast in Classic that I never got to try it, but I don't recall that happening in Classic.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: October 17, 2012, 08:29:36 am »

Has anybody tried to

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: October 17, 2012, 08:32:20 am »

Started my foray into modding. Aww, yeah, notepad+ !

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: October 17, 2012, 10:12:28 am »

I just got trolled hard by a sectoid.  If I'd been playing classic he'd have gotten a kill out of it too.  We were doing an abduction mission in a map with some shops.  We'd just cleared the first three sectoids, the last one having slipped out the back door.  We heard him moving around in the next one, a bookstore, and moved in.  As we came up on the front door we heard it just out the back, so I brought my guys in nice and slow, taking cover around the back door.

He jumps off the roof, lands right outside the front window, and opens up on my guys from behind.  Well played, Sectoid.

On the fast food restaurant level, an entire squad of Mutons climbed over the top of the building to try and flank my entire party.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: October 17, 2012, 11:21:57 am »

Impossible Ironman done? Must be cheating or luckiest guy ever.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: October 17, 2012, 11:34:08 am »

Crazy. Could also be an X-Com Savant. One of those people who'd play the original on Superhuman and just breeze through it without losing a ton of guys. Not really sure how people do that, but I guess everyone has their skillsets.

I finally got the Alien Base. Should be interesting to find out what it's got in store for me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: October 17, 2012, 01:17:17 pm »

I saw a guy on stream attempting impossible ironman, and he basically just sat in a corner and waited for them to come to him. Took forever, but the risks are minimal. He just had to nudge them with an assault and run back when they got "stuck" on the edge of vision without being discovered.

I do not know if the guy that won it used this tactic or not.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: October 17, 2012, 01:59:03 pm »

I get bored waiting and always push one guy up too far.  Almost done with a complete normal run, wherein I was able to save North America, (most of) South America, Europe, and Asia.  The game really does force you to go to satellites aggressively, and I prioritized them by income so Africa got the short end of the stick in the early game.  What does ironman do?  I heard some talk of normal ironman being a good mix of difficulty without requiring the overwatch-and-wait classic or impossible does.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: October 17, 2012, 02:01:17 pm »

Ironman mode autosaves after you do pretty much anything, so if you lose a favorite soldier or get an unfavorable group of abduction missions you can't go back and try again.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: October 17, 2012, 02:14:45 pm »

I saw a guy on stream attempting impossible ironman, and he basically just sat in a corner and waited for them to come to him. Took forever, but the risks are minimal. He just had to nudge them with an assault and run back when they got "stuck" on the edge of vision without being discovered.

I do not know if the guy that won it used this tactic or not.

In otherwords the same way people beat the original Xcom on the hardest modes

Cheesing it.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: October 17, 2012, 02:17:03 pm »

Ironman mode autosaves after you do pretty much anything, so if you lose a favorite soldier or get an unfavorable group of abduction missions you can't go back and try again.
WRONG!, alt-tab and ctr-alt delete BEFORE your turn start again, so as soon you see your guy fall down, do it and then you can reload at the turn JUST before the ennemy attacked you. They dont save at the end of your turn only at the beginning wich can be exploited like i just explained.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: October 17, 2012, 02:25:15 pm »

WRONG!, alt-tab and ctr-alt delete BEFORE your turn start again, so as soon you see your guy fall down, do it and then you can reload at the turn JUST before the ennemy attacked you. They dont save at the end of your turn only at the beginning wich can be exploited like i just explained.

So, you can reload it and watch your favourite soldier die again and again and again?
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 625